What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Was in Cork Dockyard again last weekend,camera in hand,and I noticed this while taking Photos of L.E. Aoife in Drydock.
    Anyone Know what the bulge and fin are?
    Attached Files

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 14:53.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Ok..my fault,i was not clear enough. Aft of the thruster,and the anodes,on the keel there is an obvous bulge,with a stub fin(which appears to be masked in orange tape in the photo)
      What is the bulge/fin?

Careful with the smartass answers....

Comment

xxxxx

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Comment

could be hull mounted 3d search light sonar -- as fitted to most swanky bottom trawlers (very handy for wreck finding).

Comment

Its the passive Sonar/depth gauge used for taking depth readings. Nothing fancy ....just tells you haow far away the bottom is.Eithnes sonar is carried in a large housing about the size of a pool table and is retractaable. Yeah this is a depth finder!. Looks abot right as it is a t the part of the ship that moves least just behind the bridge.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

a part of the hull prehaps

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran
                a part of the hull prehaps
                prehaps you should go and lie down..

Comment

And let Goldie trample you.
                  Meh.

Comment

Bulge and Fin ?

It is the transponder for the echo sounder, the hull is too fine at that point to fit it in so they had to build a special housing which you refer to as a "bulge". The orange tape is just to mask the transponder so it is not painted over.

Comment

thank you, i belive i shall

Comment

xxxxx

Comment

I don't know...this wasn't a quiz...it was an inquiry. I guessed it was some sort of sonar,but i had not noticed the same feature on Emer,who also lacks the bow thruster.
                          Thanks to the in house experts for their assistance.

Comment

Negative, It's actually a Casting Recovery Horn for clandestine insertion or recovery of divers. Notice the high viz glint tape surrounding the horn, which protect the device while out of the water.

Comment

You must be ****ing joking !
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X