Kilworth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kilworth

This is from military.ie in case anyone is interested.....

Re-Investment Programme Continues
    As promised by the Minister for Defence Mr Michael Smith TD, investment in the Defence Forces is ongoing. In the last two months the minister has signed contracts with Mowag Motor wagenfabrik AG of Switzerland for the supply of 25 additional armoured personnel carriers, and Pilatus Aircraft for the supply of eight PC-9 M advanced turbo trainers, as well as opening three new buildings, costing €15 million, at the Defence Forces Training Centre.

Delivery of the Mowags will commence in March 2004 and will be completed by September of the same year. The Minister said that the contract was another significant boost for the Defence Forces and a further indicator of his commitment to ensuring that Defence Forces personnel are fully equipped with modern equipment which will enhance their ability to carry out their various roles.

The contract with Pilatus Aircraft for the supply of the eight PC-9 aircraft, ground based training systems and a complete integrated logistic support package, has an approximate value of CHF 70 million (€48 million). The total system is scheduled to be delivered and operational by mid-2004.

The three new buildings opened by the Minister in the DFTC - an APC garaging compound, the new Combat Support College and a new dining complex - are the latest in a series of new facilities completed in the Curragh over the last few years. Since 1997 over €60 million has been spent on the DFTC as part of the barracks reinvestment programme, with an overall figure of €150 million being spent nationwide.

Completely off topic, but an interesting link all the same.

Comment

Also off the topic. For those of you who have had camps in Kilworth and stayed in those God damed awful conditions, good news. They are doing up the accomadation and it going to be way better that what was there. we hope
      Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
      http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

kilworth

they're doin up kilworth? about feckin time. hopefully they'll have it done by this summer. and yes,it seems a lot is being done to upgrade the shabbier barracks. did a camp in the glen in the summer of 2001 and the place,coolmoney camp,was a tip (as bad as kilworth is now). came back in september 2002 and the whole place was done up. billets completely rebuilt,new toilets,new showers,the works. like the hilton compared to what it was.
        hopefully over the next few years we'll see places like kilworth disappear altogether. :D

Comment

Hmm sorry folks . . . wrong thread.

Here's my proper post

The DOD's "Re-Investment Programme Continues" is a propaganda work of art that Nazi Germany would be proud of.

"In the last two months the minister has signed contracts with Mowag Motor wagenfabrik AG of Switzerland for the supply of 25 additional armored personnel carriers"

additional my arse, the DOD is only fulfilling its original obligated order from four years ago.

The three new buildings opened by the Minister in the DFTC - an APC garaging compound, the new Combat Support College and a new dining complex -

"an APC garaging compound"
          = small area fenced off with chain link - WOW

"the new Combat Support College "
          = couple of classrooms and a projector

"and a new dining complex"
          = kitchen, tables, chairs.

Why is the DOD spending all this wonderful money on the 'DFTC' ?

Because they intend to stop all PDF recruit training around the country and have it all in the curragh, thereby making barrack closures and cutbacks easier countrywide

Its nothing but a cheap nasty three card trick.

Comment

Kilworth is nearing completion and is to be ready for spring camps.
            Places such as Kilworth (DFTC`s) are necessary for training and other military activities. I can say for sure ot will be a moajor improvement from what was there. A new sewarge plant is there now to deal with the old problems. ILL say no more

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14

Comment

Well its looks like they will get the chance to show off the new improve Kilworth Camp as the All-Army RDF shoot is being held there this year.

Comment

You sure that Kilworth is the venue for the All-Army this year. If thats the all I will say is: ahh balls. At least is home ground for us:p .

Comment

I have it on excellent authority that ALL recruit training is to be taken away from the brigade depots and only carried out at DFTC.

Comment

EagleEye,
                    Dunno where your getting your info, i've seen paper to the effect that the all-army is on somewhere else.........

Comment

I heard the same..somewhere other than Kilworth..:confused:

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I can confirm that the all army shoot is on in kilworth I saw an order to that affect a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Could it be that the PDF competition is in a different location to the RDF one?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

In the Eastern Brigade a Recruit Camp has been run in April for the Last Few Years and All Recruits From the Bde are Eligable to attend It was Dundalk The Lst time I was on it with recruits From 7, 8, 20Bn's and 7 FAR
                            By No means will it be carried out by the DFTC

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

:D Looking at the bigger picture is whats required here!!
                              Eventually all recruiting for the PDF will more than likely be carried out as it was previously in the old GTD. At the moment recruit training has gone back to the parent Units & rightly so cos you see what you are getting.At the moment all career courses other than POT courses are carried out there,i.e. Cav Std,Arty No's 1,Std NCO's,Senior NCO's( which have been cancelled for the next couple of years).The IWW!!
                              All the new facilities which will open point to something in my opinion.Looking say 5 years down the line a lot of the Army will be centralised in the Curragh.Already the future for the Arty Corps is looking decidedly shady as all the funding is going to the Inf.The reason for the Mowag garages is that they can't be stored outdoors believe it or not!!
                              So to put it short it looks like to save money the PDF itself will be downsized with probably more emphasis on the Reserve.Look at the BA under options for change for example.:confused:
                              I know its a bit off track but i think it might open a forum for discussion.
                              Live long and prosper!

Comment

Working...
                              X