L70 Ground role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L70 Ground role

Im just wondering would it make sense to use the L70 guns in a ground role either on a flatbed truck or mounted on an AFV givent their obsolescence in their intended role?
    The Soviet ZSU-23 has been widely and succesfully used in this role particularly as an anti-ambush weapon in various African campaigns.
    The L70 does I notice appear to have a rather small magazine capacity but it does have a high rate of fire and explosive shells.

Opinions on a postcard...or here whichever you prefer
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Good question, could the gun be fitted to a different mounting system to adapt it for the roel or would the cost be prohibitive.
    Crew: 6 (4 on mount)

Calibre: 40mm.

Elevation/Depression: +90º/-4º.

Traverse: 360º.

Ammunition Range: 12,500 metres - maximum horizontal.
    ..........................8700 metres - maximum vertical.
    ..........................4000 metres - effective vertical
    Last edited by Come-quickly; 8 April 2004, 13:52.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The EL70 40mm is used for low arial defence and pin point targets e.g. bridges and troops. It can easily be used in the ground role and this would be safer for those in the flycatcher as it can be fired by the No.1 with no interference from the radar system.
      I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

So would it be of use as a mobile contact breaker in Liberia?
        The SADF used 20mm/23mm equipped unimogs in Angola travelling at the back of a convoy to be brought forward in the event of an ambush to overwhelm enemy firepower.

Comment

What do you want to blow up in Liberia? I don't think it would be a good move to go in with 40mm rounds and start blowing up things left right and centre. Who are SADF?

Comment

SADF-South African Defense Force
            Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

The idea is to use it to discourage the use of roadblocks and ambushes against convoys by retaining an extra sting in the tail, why would you want to go shooting people with 5.56mm rounds in Liberia to discourage them from shooting anyone else.
              The Swedish Armoured infantry coy we are operating with already use 40mm weapons (in the turret of the CV90 AIFV) so its not like we'd be introducing ICBMs to a swordfight.
              Liberia was just an example I was exploring the potential use of this weapon system in any peace-enforcement/peacekeeping mission.

Comment

Ok, for road blocks, it would take the gun crew about 20min to put the gun into action and blast the road block to kingdom come. But really, do you want to go blowing creators in Liberia? Maybe you do!
                Lets say you do, then you have 5250kg of metal to tow around with you plus your gun kit... and your gun crew (4 would do you for this exercise). Not to mind actually getting the EL70's over to Liberia. Surely there are easier ways of discouraging roadblocks.

Comment

This is why the initial post was a question I wanted to know these things.
                  So what about remounting the weapon to make it more suited for the purpose, the 40mm is the only weapon in Irish service that combines a high ROF with enough explosive power to surpress partially or totally unseen enemy hence its potential value as a leveller in ambush situations.

Comment

Ambushes are generally well planned use heavy weapons and well sited positions and setting it in terrain that favours the attackers and doesnt provide escape for those who have walked into it.Weapons to break this need to be very quickly dployed and need to be fired on the move.Best way to deal with an ambush is to pick the fastest way out and blast your way through it.MK19, HMGs, fast firing20 and 30mm cannon on APCs like the Warrior are whats needed.The ZSU has a massive rate of fire and can be moved and aimed quickly making it good for this role. L70 is ideal in setting an ambush when you get it in position but probably not fast enough to put it into action during one.Would you want to try whilst RPGs and all sorts of other weapons are being fired in your direction?
                    Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

To mount a weapon with such a high c/g on a vehicle would require stabilisers being deployed before firing commences,further increasing weight of the vehicle. Better off aquiring something already in service,like a CV90

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Or mount an already in production turret on an already in service vehicle preferably.
                        FTD: Thanks awfully for the lecture on basic tactics this being a board populated primarily by soldiers we never would have known that.

Comment

If you read it properly you will see I was saying that you need fast firing weapons that do not require time to be set up due to the nature of an ambush and an L70 is not that weapon as opposed to a lecture in tactics.Read these quotes

"Weapons to break this need to be very quickly dployed and need to be fired on the move"

"MK19, HMGs, fast firing20 and 30mm cannon on APCs like the Warrior are whats needed"

"L70 is ideal in setting an ambush when you get it in position but probably not fast enough to put it into action during one"

I mention basic tactics to point out that you don't get time to start deploying heavy weapons.OK?
                          Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

The Warrior's rarden cannon is an antiquated design that has to fed by 5-round clips, they'd be better off with a more modern weapon.
                            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Ok, change Warrior to Bradley.The Bradley’s main armament is the M242 25m Chain Gun.This should be slightly better at the job.I had no idea that it was only 5 round clips.I would have expected at least a 50 round feed.
                              Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Working...
                              X