Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boarding parties weaponry

Suppressed weapons cost money. Something the Govt is loathe to part with.:D

Is there any argument for NS boarding parties to carry pistol calibre SMGs in anti-crime missions or is it simply more firepower than could be effectively used (with consideration for the safety of all concerned)?
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I think there would be an argument for all those who use a pistol as a sidearm to switch to a pistol calibre SMG. In the past,armed boarding parties carried the Gustav SMG,but when it was retired,the BAP became the standard weapon.

The issue as usual is cost. I am sure when an armed Boarding party is required the members would prefer to have something like a P90,just in case...but who wouldnt.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What about handmedown MP5s?
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

No argument from me.

Comment

Why don't they open shop on the base and everybody can buy whatever small format SMG they want, there'd be room in the new canteen if they took out the pool table.
            No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
            No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

I wonder why I bother to post the facts here sometimes.....why don't I just post pure fantasy like some of the muppets here....Goldie do your job and moderate for ****s sake!
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Sometimes even moderating isnt enough. Sadly I cant moderate people for being a walter(Though some of the more far fetched comments have moved to the recycle bin.)

Keep posting the facts Murph. If you dont all that will be left is the comments of those who live in a world of make belief.

Comment

did the flag officer really shut down a training school over using paint balls what a prick
                  FTD nearly has a valid point about the ancient BAP against the modern weapons that druggies carry now adays,
                  HTM while your right and the majority of your boardings are peaceful capt birdseye stuff, its the one time you inadvertenly board the drug ship and they blast away with Mack 10's and all the latest of gear
                  our guys deserve the best equipment , best training , best protection and best weapons that money can buy
                  OUr great leader Bertie has a 04 Mercedes, the best money can buy
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I presume the boarding parties use some sort of lanyard to prevent a sudden jolt claiming their sidearm for the sea?

Do synthetic polymers offer better resistance to wear by salt water etc, if so I wonder was this a consideration in the cancelled competition to acquire a BAP replacement?
                    Did the Steyr have to be slung across the boarders back while they climbed aboard, and one more question since we're on the topic of the difficulty of the actual boarding how does a party board if the skipper decides to be cheeky and not help them aboard?

Comment

The polymer frames are safe from salt water corrosion.Unfortunatly the rest of the gun isn't.Polymer never really moved far beyond use in the frame due to wear resistance.Anti corrosian coatings are available for the slide and exterior metal parts but are unsuitable for the action due to wear and the tight tolerances.In salt water, the solution to corrosion problems is cleaning the gun as soon as possible.
                      Reason for the cancelling of the contract-Money.Example-when the Americans bought thier Beretta 92s, worked out at around $300 dollars a gun.The Americans though bought about a 100,000 and built a factory in the USA for Beretta to produce them there, so thats economies of scale for you.A small scale purchase for Ireland could be anything up to 1000 Euros depending on gun.
                      I assume there'd have to be a lanyard our something else to secure it to the holster.Couldn't let the seaman be losing a barely safe BAP over board.
                      I hope the Steyr's would have a suitable sling for keeping it round the back cos I wouldnn't want it round the front or side banging of the boarding ladder.
                      As for cheeky captains, possibly using harsh language or say please cos I don't think anyone is going to authorise a shot across the bow.
                      Last edited by ForkTailedDevil; 11 April 2004, 01:16.
                      Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Pistols as sidearms would be perfectly adaquate for a lippy fisherman, if your talking about boardings in support of NATO operations or somewhere were the "customers" are more likely to be armed, a Steyr with each member of the stick apart from possibly i/c comms and the boarding officer is more likely.
                        I think the XO of the ship sending the boarding party would have the relevant int to decide what or who he would send.

Comment

jesus it gets worse.

There is valid criteria for boarding an FV...its not like a random check. The NS patrol areas where FVs are supposed to be. IE Fishing grounds. Ever before a vessel is boarded all the information required to carry out a sucess ful operation is a vailable from computers.

The boarding parties are not on ahit and miss operation. They know what the vessel is actually is supposed to be doing. They are merely checking the facts agaainst the info they have available to them.

This is not a case if hunting ghost ships in the night....these are carefully planned operations. naval vesssels do no posses the right to search civilian vessels willy nilly. Its the same as the gardai..they need a warraant to cross your front door.

Again I emphasis the anti drug and anti terorist opereations are carefully planned operations and not just happenings at sea. The boarding parties in this case have the equipment required made available to them. Remember discharging a weapon in an enclosed space is no the best of ideas.

weapons made available to the NS will have to be practicle and in line with DF policy after all the NS is still part of the DF no matter what operations it carries out.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Do they still board using rope access? You know when they swing from the poop deck via the yard arm, cutlass and all. And if they're part of the DF, why did they go outside the DF for firearms training?

Comment

Cos the DF Know nothing about ships?

Comment

Working...
                              X