PDA

View Full Version : New Uniforms for army band.

Goldie fish
17th February 2003, 22:18
The Army band appeared today wearing their new uniforms. At the march past of the Last transport Coy going to Kosovo,they were seen wearing the new uniforms which are very similar to the style worn during the 1930s and 1950s,as shown here.The colours however were different.
No harm either,the old ones reminded me too much of those worn by fife and drum bands in the North,and was almost un military in appearance. I wonder if they intend to kit out other units in a similar pattern of Dress uniform?
http://indigo.ie/~iesoh/img2.gif

goc132
17th February 2003, 22:22
Has anyone got an actual photo of the new uniform?

Goldie fish
18th February 2003, 04:55
The best I can do is give you the 6.1 news,where I saw the uniforms appear. They look very smart,and as close to a traditional military uniform as Ireland has.

6.1 News (http://wwa.rte.ie/news/2003/0217/6news/6news56_1b.ram)

I heard a rumour about this last year,and I know they were looking at re-introducing the Dress Cap,as well as the rest of the uniform.

Thorpe
18th February 2003, 12:26
I personally think that the new uniforms look pritty a whoile lot better compaired to the old ones.
Military.ie (http://www.military.ie/pr/14-02-03.htm)

klick
18th February 2003, 12:47
There's a photo of the uniforms in todays Irish Times

Rookie
18th February 2003, 15:49
I understand that they are playing at this years Edinburg Military Tattoo, anybody have any info on this ?
I personnaly this is long overdue.

Goldie fish
19th February 2003, 04:27
From Military.ie (http://www.military.ie/pr/14-02-03.htm)

New Band Uniforms - Forty five musicians of the Army No.1 Band will display their new ceremonial uniforms for the first time at the review. Also on display will be the band's new concert uniforms and a number of fanfare trumpeters displaying their new ceremonial uniforms and banners.

Still can't find any Photos online.

landmark
19th February 2003, 09:31
I've seen the photo in the Irish Times - they look good. Anybody else think the look "French" - complete with a French-style kepi?

LordFlash
19th February 2003, 14:16
Must be that old "Ireland-France connection", you know the way that we both have "R's" in our names.
(we sometimes get their mail also)

But seriously, new No: 1's can only spruce up their image cos they are also a commercial venture, cos you can hire them for performances!
They don't just play the bagpipes while we charge at the Germans, or march at St'Paddies day!!

Big Al
19th February 2003, 18:08
from military.ie

http://www.military.ie/images/band.jpg

LordFlash
20th February 2003, 10:58
Very nice indeed

Relatively Sane
20th February 2003, 17:31
call me crazy, but i always thought it would be rather a good idea if the irish DF wore uniforms that actually looked IRISH in some way. Nobody outside the DF would ever recognise those uniforms as belonging to the irish army. They look more like the old foreign legion gear.

klick
20th February 2003, 17:45
I think there is an Irish theme with the uniforms

The colour if the uniform is St Patrick's Blue. It's the same shade of blue as on the Presidential Standard.

I could be mistaken on this but I think it's our National colour (not green)

FMolloy
20th February 2003, 17:51
As far as I know your right Klick.

What would an Irish uniform consist of? Pipers already have the kilts. There's no national dress to speak of, I suppose you could use headgear, like caubeens, glengarrys etc.

LordFlash
20th February 2003, 18:00
Yup, blue is actually the national colour historicaly. Green only came into popularity in the 17/1800's.

However the oldest recorded flag was one of I think Brian Boru or someone like that,.... (not to sure who)... but it was a plain crimson flag, nothing else on it.

But I really like those uniforms,... very smart.
Green would not look right if you ask me, and the lack of a national dress (apart from a leprechaun outfit) leaves little other choice.

Any chance of the rest of the army getting such snazzy no: 1's???

(well we will probably loose ours... anyway)

Thorpe
20th February 2003, 20:42
Now that makes a big improvement from the old ones. Very very smart

Dan.
21st February 2003, 22:02
The bands uniform is very traditional it looks very similar to the old Infantry Officers dress uniform which worn as far back as the 1930s with the same kind of cap and everything.

Western Commando
21st February 2003, 22:55
Can anyone tell me where that picture was taken (i.e. what building is in the backround?) Thanks

Goldie fish
22nd February 2003, 04:01
Its the Royal Hospital Kilmainham I think. Thats where the Marchpast was on in any case.

klick
22nd February 2003, 12:40
Apparently the present musical director Lieut Col Power designed the new uniforms.

Whey are a navy colour, not St Patrick's Blue as per my previous post. The uniforms were St Patrick's Blue right up to the 1960's when they changed to the bottle green colour. St Patrick's Blue is a lighter sky coloured blue. Don't think it would have looked the part being a lighter colour.

Uniforms were made in Belgium and cost Euro 225,000.

Thumbs up from me. They look the part!

goc132
22nd February 2003, 18:24
I am delighted to see the band getting a new uniform,but is it not sad that in the same period the RESERVE are been thought of as the sacraficial lamb.
Well done to the Bands they get very little praise and the Aer Corp Pipe band almost fund themselves but the Government take the praise but give them no support.
I hope the Bands particapate in the Edinburagh Military Tatoo in the near future.
I hope to march behind the Pipe Band in Lourdes in this years International Military Pilgrimage and boy do you feel proud to be Irish.

LordFlash
24th February 2003, 11:31
Military pilgrimage,.... never heard of that, sounds a bit..... odd.
Is it just a catholic thing, or are there other such pilgrimages in ours other armies?

Loque
24th February 2003, 13:09
Yeah it's definately a religious thing, can't see the point myself. Personally I'm not into that "God stuff". Funny though that the reserve may be asked to give up it's dress uniform when a band is given new clobber. I was told once that alot of military bands are comprised mostly of civie musicians not military personnel, so why be in such a hurry to get rid of No 1's for the reserve ?
The only thing I despise about the army No 1 are those phoney pockets on the tunic, however the real pockets on the officer no 1's look crap.

²°°³Soldier
24th February 2003, 14:36
I don't know about the pockets on the Officers No1s I like them myself. My only complaint with OR No1s is the lack of a peaked cap, I'm sorry but a beret just doesn’t cut it for No1s IMHO :)

Loque
24th February 2003, 14:48
Yeah, I agree a peaked cap looks alot smarter. I suppose it once again comes down to cost, its cheaper just to use the beret for both DPM and No1. However you could introduce it to Officer and NCO ranks exclusively to keep down the costs.

LordFlash
24th February 2003, 14:53
I believe some units use the peaked cap with the No: 1s....
I've seen PA's wearing them!

And yes they do look far more smarter with no: 1's!!
- maybe the kepi is becoming the cap of choice??

Loque
24th February 2003, 15:08
Traditionally the PA's always wore the peaked cap with the No 1's
They also wear it with the working dress 1's (this was the No1's worn with the working dress jumper instead of the tunic and without the No1 tie).

Big Al
24th February 2003, 15:12
Officers pay for their own uniform, they get an allowance for it but i dont know if it covers the complete cost, SF or someone might enlighten us

Loque
24th February 2003, 15:22
They could introduce a cap allowance for NCO's and to offset this they could reduce the gratuity slightly, you would undoubtable get some moaners not willing to agree to this. As Al has stated Officers already get an allowance, this is because they have to get their uniforms from a tailor unlike the rest of us grunts.

Bailer
24th February 2003, 20:53
<font face="tahoma" color="#99cc00">There was talk of re-introducing the Forage Cap for the Number ones about the Time of the Female No. 1 Headgear was introduced but it was Knocked on the Head because the AirCorps had them already

ThunderBirds Ar Gooooo!!!!</font>

Loque
25th February 2003, 09:48
Well I have a relative in the aircorps and all I can say is that they deserve to wear that cap because that that "chip bag" thay are forced to wear looks like something from Thunderbirds, F.A.B !

Curious George
25th February 2003, 12:38
Did anyone see the article in Saturdays Irish Times about the new uniforms?
It was very informative.

²°°³Soldier
25th February 2003, 14:07
Curious George can you place a copy of the article on this board???

Curious George
25th February 2003, 14:22
Don't have a scanner here in the office so it'll have to be next weekend if thats any good? Suppose I could always rewrite it it's not that long, leave it with me!

On another note, in the letters section of the Times today someone reckoned that the new uniforms look like the Belgian Train Conductors uniforms.

Loque
25th February 2003, 17:14
Maybe it comes down to the "there are no prizes for re-inventing the Wheel" philosophy, if someone sent in pictures of both uniforms we could compare.
Anyhow whatever these uniforms look like, we won't have to wear them.