Heli engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heli engines

Does anybody know which if any of the air corps helis are fitted with particle seperators to expel unwanted dust and dirt before the air reaches the compressors. I know these are fitted to most modern if not all turboshaft engines but not all the AC,s helis are that modern. FTD im guessin you'll know sumtin bout this
    "ya might wanna raise your gear."

We need an Air Corps engineer to discuss what filters are fitted to the IAC helicopters, but I suspect none. I have no idea who knows what about filters here so I'll go for the basics. Most of the time helicopters aren't fitted with filters, because there is little need of them and they add unwanted weight.Dedicated filters are needed for environments where large amounts of small partciles are going to be present such as deserts or even snowy environments.We will all have heard of the low mission availability rates of Coalition tanks, helicopters, rifles, sandwiches etc in the Gulf. The western European type environment is fairly stable and doesn't strain engines and other mechanical kit too much, as such no need for IAC helicopters to be fitted with filters and they aren't going abroad at the minute.Most helicopters just rely on tough compressor blades, made from titanium or a titanium nitride coating that the Russians developed for Afghanistan, though a joint Russian-Canadian project has improved the formula extending blade life by 5x but the total cost of the blade is only 1.3x more than normal.The coating is finding favour with the US Marines currently and should spread elsewhere.Anyway thats it for filters, we need someone familiar with the helicopter engines in the IAC to tell use the current state of the filters.If I get clearer info I'll amend this for you.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Cheers FTD

Comment

They have dust covers like on the intakes Just like an f-117 shhhh Crusties in the area....

:-patriot:

Comment

Just dug these up, heres a turboshaft engine like that found in most in helis
          Attached Files

Comment

and heres what a particle seperator looks like,
            Attached Files

Comment

The particle seperators shown basically use gravity and momentum to work and their operation really isn't much more than a handy byproduct of the way an engine functions.FOD is seperated as it is sucked into the engine by centrifugal force and is either expelled through various jets and openings or trapped in collectors.This is fine when there isn't much in the air but filters need to be added in more inclement conditions

And those aren't dust covers on the F117s intakes.
              Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Working...
              X