Naval Public Profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Public Profile

Where I come from we all know about the Movements and Activities of the NS,with friends and family associated with or working at the base.
    However I was wondering, what kind of a profile does the Naval service have in the rest of the country? Do People Know it exists? Is there anything that should be done to improve the Public Profile?

The number of Views and posts on this section leads me to believe that many people are unaware of the activities of the Defence Forces Most active Branch.
    Same goes for the Naval service Reserve. Up to relatively recently I was unaware of their activities(my loss),How are they viewed by other elements of the RDF? Outside of the locations of NSR units around the country,is anyone aware of their existence?
    Yes,we are well informed
    1.82%
    Sort of...
    23.64%
    No..They need to improve Public awareness
    63.64%
    Whats a Navy?
    10.91%
    Couldnt care less one way or another..
    0.00%

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

The Naval Service do have a good public profile, generally you hear about them 2-3 time a month in relation to illegal fishing.

The NSR has the same image problems as the FCA
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

I used to work with a former DF member, and I recall one day I mentioned An Slua Muiri and he said - "Wha ?"

I would say that the NS has a slightly higher profile among the general public, compared with the AC, because of it's fishery protection duties.

However, most people that I have mentioned the Air Corps to, think that they only have 3 or 4 aircraft !

Although the way things are going that may be the case in the future :(
      IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Given anothers comments on the board,does the NS have an image problem among seafarers? Is it comparable to the gardai pulling the errant motorist,but as the NS are also the Fire Brigade and ambulance at sea. What about yachtsmen? Power Boat enthusaists..there used to be a Simon Jennings here,who worked in the civilian maritime industry..what does he see?
        Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

im in the slua 1year now and my family, friends and school principal all tink im in the army even though i keep telling them its the naval service reserve! and they have seen me in uniform! totally silly! someboby told me that the irish navy only has one ship the eithne and thats cuase i reckon he saw it on the news! plonker

Comment

Lets be honest,.... the slua does have a bit of a battie-boy image because of those shiny uniforms.... and I have heard from a reliable source that one lad was wearing lipstick at the St Pats parade in Cork....

Comment

I had heard rumours....where is posiedon when you need him?

Comment

xxxxx
                Last edited by Guest; 23 November 2004, 12:50.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Salmon fisherman help each other out, understandably. Word spreads quickly down along the coast that there's a Navy ship on the way. I suppose it could be compared to motorists flashing their heads to oncoming traffic when they see a speed trap, the difference being a Navy ship in the bay is slightly harder to hide than a patrol car in a lane!
                  There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today Chatfield
                  Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty GCB OM GCVO

Comment

However at sea,the NS are not only the cops doing speed traps,they are also the Fire Brigade and Ambulance..

Comment

Oddly enough the naval service really came to the attention of the public when they had no ships.I think at the time they had one officer placed on a rented fishing boat.

Comment

The Cu Feasa..which unless I am mistaken(not unknown) was just recently pulled from the mud in Fenit. Armed with a 9mm pistol on the hip of a solo naval officer

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                          The Cu Feasa..which unless I am mistaken(not unknown) was just recently pulled from the mud in Fenit.
                          Whats that all about??? :confused:
                          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

what do you mean?

Comment

em, exactly what i asked!! whats Cu Feasa??
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                              X