Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhards Abrams & RPG's

[ MOD: Split from other. ]

Tyvärr kan sidan du försökte nå inte hittas. Det kan bero på att sidan är borttagen eller att adressen i webbläsaren är felstavad. Kontrollera gärna stavningen och försök igen.

Looks like a bloody clown car.
    "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
    - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Yeah, like a Fiat Punto on steroids. They should put alloys and a spoiler on her
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Yeah, doesn't exactly convey a sense of menace.Due to the size it makes you feel that if they fired the cannon a stick would pop out and a cloth would unfurl from it that said BANG!
      Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Maybe so, but apparently if you're at the wrong end when it does go bang you'll not be worrying about a "sense of menace" or anything else for that matter again.

IAS

Comment

personally , I'd prefer a steyr.
          "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"

Comment

How easy it is for these groundpounders and wannabees to criticise a vehicle they have never worked with. As an infantryman myself, I would be delighted to see something like that come to my assistance,with Murf and his people hanging out of it.

It'll draw the enemy fire while I make my escape...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
              How easy it is for these groundpounders and wannabees to criticise a vehicle they have never worked with. As an infantryman myself, I would be delighted to see something like that come to my assistance,with Murf and his people hanging out of it.

Alway's thinking 2 steps ahead, eh GF:D

Comment

Was anybody at the recent Military Fighing Vehicle exhibition down at the Curragh Race course last month??

I talked to one of the Armd Cav guys asking about the Mowag and AMLs in Liberia. he said the Mowags were having problems with ingesting dust in the engine compartment..while the AML's were flying along with no problems.

Having stood beside a Mowag for the first i can testify..they are HUGE!.

MÃ¥k

Comment

Just while we're on about it, is there any word on the AML's replacement yet?

Comment

To be honest, I'd prefer get out of somewhere myself than ask Murf and his mates to try hold somebody off with that zooped up punto. All I'm saying is that its not exactly any match for the likes of an rpg.

Comment

In fairness, how many M1A1 Abrams did we see immobilised / destroyed by RPGs on their way into Bagdad.

Every seen the M3VTT in the Glen, that was hit by an 84mm?
                      Last edited by DeV; 17 June 2004, 22:11.

Comment

Exactly, if an abram cant take an rpg, imagine what would bring that down.

Comment

As an infantryman myself, I would be delighted to see something like that come to my assistance,with Murf and his people hanging out of it.
                          Of course anybody would like to see something with heavy(ish) firepower turn up to their rescue.Also, "Murph and his people hanging out of it", thats because its too small to fit people in it properly.

But that statement kinda ruins what seemed like Goldie having belief in his colleagues from the cavalry could turn the tide in battle with their armoured menaces as opposed to being the perfect distraction to get out from whatever cover he was in and making his "tactical withdrawal"

Sorry
                          Last edited by ForkTailedDevil; 17 June 2004, 22:37.
                          Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

You do realise you just anylised a joke to death:p

Comment

While the AML is well due a replacement, its not for the reasons mentioned in this thread.
                              They are cavalry vehicles which means they do recce and screening, in Liberia they move at the front of or ahead of convoys as a firebreak against ambushes since as Murf or any other cav person will tell you they are well drilled in spotting the enemy and reversing back out of sight before making a withdrawal at speed.
                              The AMLs are armed for self defence, the 20mm is a fire and flee weapon while the 90 is there to support fleeing 20s (and anyone else who is fleeing) therefore a comparison to MBTs is more than a little unfair.
                              The fact that they are barely protected against small arms fire is a result of their requirement to be small and agile, a future Cav vehicle will indeed be bigger and better protected (assuming we aren't disbanded by then) but then it will also be using sensors to detect enemies at longer ranges without the need to stick their necks out so much.

Does anyone else feel it odd that we have to rely on the swedish army for a decent photo selection?
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                              X