Most useless bit of gucci kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most useless bit of gucci kit?

An earlier thread on the General section has show that plenty of people spend their hard earned cash on private kit.
    Hopefully it turns out to be useful.
    To prevent people making the same mistakes, what are the purchases you made that turned out to be a complete waste of money?

I'll nominate HITEC Magnum Classic boots. £50 three years ago. Look fine, but trainers will keep your feet drier. Probably good for barracks, but definitely not on the ground.

:( I don't mean to be a killjoy but i'd nominate a lot of the shite that some people have posted on lists.
    E.G.-
    Goretex socks - if you get wet feet you do one of two (1) Change your socks at
    the next opportunity or (2) grin & bear it.Thats what soldiering's about!!

NBC suits & respirators - depending on the threat level & the level of warning they're next to useless & even in an NBC enviroment they would degrade at an alarming rate E.G - under combat conditions.Even after that they are only useful for a very limited time frame( 24 - 48Hrs).

GPS's - nine times out of ten the batteries go or they are not calibrated correctly or the operator can't use it!!Don't waste your well earned money on one as a compass,map & the knowledge to go with it are better!

Well thats a starter from me there is a lot more i just can't remember.But don't forget the maxim - Do you REALLY need it??
    :D
    Live long and prosper!

Comment

Couldn't agree more Erwin, except maybe for the Gortex socks, warm and wet is always better than cold and wet.

Comment

Well I'll definately have to say that those big ass survival knifes are rubbish, the may look cool but that's about it. The most useful piece of kit I have is my trusty swiss army knife, well worth the money. A windproof lighter is also were useful for ligthing hexi-tablets, I go overkill though and use a gas-powered soldering iron somtimes (it beats the hell out of those lighthouse matches from the ratpack).
        Another useless piece of kit would be those cammo compacts, the only useful thing in them is the mirror, the cammo is crap and runs off your face and there isn't enough of it. Also those mini-tinopeners you know the ones,a rectangular piece of steel with hinged barb on them... absolute rubbish.
        GPS - Expensive and a waste of money, compass and map is all you should need, yeah and common sense come in useful aswell.
        The more junk you have on the ground the more you have to carry. (Does anyone remember that scene in Platoon where charlie sheen collapses from carrying too much unnecessary gear ?)
        Anyway I'm sure plenty of other people have examples of impulse-buy crap they thought would come in useful

Comment

Re; the socks Erwin, any fool can be uncomfortable.

Privately purchased NBC gear is a bit of a joke allright, but it's more of a joke that it's not issued, does any other army in the western world not give it's reservists NBC kit?

For people who need to know where they're going a GPS can be a lifesaver. Compasses don't work all that well in poor visibility. Obviously knowing how to use them is handy, they shouldn't be totally relied on and are definitely not a replacement for compass & map, but they are a very useful adjunct.

Comment

Goretex Socks

Pro's

keep your feet dry (in therory)

Con's

Once water get;s in it stays in,
            gortex doesn't alow your feet to breath, so they sweat somthing fearce!
            the smell out of them after a 24-48 out on the ground is "undesireable"
            i plain dont find them comfortable! or have a size to fit me correctly.

*NOTE
            in my experience.
            Last edited by T.I.M.; 26 February 2003, 17:12.
            Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Re: Goretex Socks

Originally posted by T.I.M.
              Once water get;s in it stays in,
              gortex doesn't alow your feet to breath, so they sweat somthing fearce!
              the smell out of them after a 24-48 out on the ground is "undesireable"
              i plain dont find them comfortable! or have a size to fit me correctly. [/B]
              Eh, that's the whole point of Goretex, are you sure someone didn't sell you two condoms and tell you they were goretex socks?
              :D :D
              Last edited by yellowjacket; 26 February 2003, 15:56.

Comment

New goretex socks... ribbed for you pleasure!

Comment

Ha ha, everyone point at T.I.M and laugh!!!

... sorry T.I.M, me bad

Comment

No laugh away
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

T.I.M. where did you buy those socks?

Must stay clear of that place, ha ha:D
                      Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

Have moved the GPS posts to a more relevant thread here.

Comment

I suppose it depends on why you want a GPS. Is it to simply have the gucci gear or you have a real reason to use it?

Any Arty person involved with either the Command Post or G Party would find a GPS a great piece of kit and useful... but as pointed out you need to know how to use it correctly and your knowledge of the manual methods of locating you position and navigation should be first rate - technology can let you down.

Comment

He didn't get them from me anyway!
                            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Muppets all!
                              Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X