Best GPS for military use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best GPS for military use?

GPS units are a popular private purchase in both PDF and RDF.
    The issue model is a Garmin GPS12XL.

What other units do people own? How do you find them? Do you know how to use it?
    Garmin GPS12 / GPS12XL
    26.32%
    Garmin Etrex / Emap
    26.32%
    Magellan
    10.53%
    Silva
    10.53%
    Lowrance
    5.26%
    MLR
    0.00%
    Casio G-Shock GPS
    5.26%
    Other
    15.79%

GPS don't always work in the wet.

Comment

Bravo20,
      do you mean the units fail when wet, or something else?

I know almost all modern GPS units are at very least weatherproof, and have never experienced any dificulty with them in the rain.

Comment

One aspect of GPS is that is relies on military satelites in orbit which are in the control of the U.S. they can restrict access to GPS at any time leaving you rightly buggered if they ever decide to do so.

Comment

Regards GPS:
          It is important to note that GPS in an aid to navigation and should not be used in a situation where it is the only means of navigating. If you use a GPS whether on the ground or afloat it is a good idea to have some for of back up, preferably a compass. Its also a good idea to know how to use said compass.

It is true that the US Military control the GPS satellites and its accuracy. With the up coming threat of war they will introduce more of an error into the system. A new system has been developed in the last number of years called Diffrential GPS (DGPS), it is the same system except for the accuracy is greatly increased.

Basically in a DGPS system a radio coast station recieves a GPS signal compares the recieved position (including US introduced error) with its own position (By using traditional methods, ie map and compass). The difference between these signals is broadcast and picked up by a DGPS reciever. The DGPS reciever then corrects its position ie. GPS recieved position minus Introdused error equals Exact position.
          It is a much better system, unfortunatly it is a lot more expencive too.

I guess what Im trying to say is: dont buy a GPS system, a map and compass will do the same thing. You'll look cool with a GPS though :p
          Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

Re: DGPS,
            A standard GPS unit will now give an accuracy of around 5m. Considering a 1:50k map is only good down to around 50m at best, the increased accuracy of DGPS doesn't bring many benefits.

For surveying, agriculture etc, obviously, it comes into its own.

The US military can degrade or even shut down the signal if they want to, but this can be localised. In the current climate, where GPS has become ubiquitous, it's hard to conceive a situation where they would shut down the whole system.

Comment

I don't have one myself, but I have used one. They are extremely handy in poor weather and at night.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I know one guy, who has not one but two GPS units. Guess where he decides to use them to show them off.... the sliabh Bloom "Mountains" , it's like trying to go from college green to o'connell street using your cutting edge technology when that bloody great spike is enough of a clue as to where you're going ..... completely pointless.
                GPS is a good technology but unless you need the accuracy the tradition methods will surfice

Comment

I suppose it all depends on why you want a GPS. Is it to simply have the gucci gear or you have a real reason to use it?

Any Arty person involved with either the Command Post or G Party would find a GPS a great piece of kit and useful... but as pointed out you need to know how to use it correctly and your knowledge of the manual methods of locating you position and navigation should be first rate - technology can let you down.

Comment

Correct, too much reliance on technology can be your undoing. Sometimes even established technology can let you down, here's an example:
                    Two coys go to range for combined ARP , batteries in 77 fail, no spares - solution : mobile phones used instead. Luckly mobile wasn't on ready to go !

Comment

Is this not an example of technology coming to the rescue?

Comment

yeah but technology caused the problem in the first place

Comment

Gps

Bought one last year .Garmin Ultra.
                          Best bit of kit and well worth the money.Maps and compasses are fine and when used properly are great but the GPS will tell you to within five metres where exactly you are.Always carry two spre packs of batteries great for grid reference in a hurry and a must for cavalry execises ..lump of blue tack fix it to the dashboard of the nissan ...map on lap go any where. Every unit should have a couple ...we have three for the unit and about six personnal ones.can be down loaded onto a lap top and information super imposed on Ordnace survey map program...getting lost with technology ..nothing like it.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I agree, as a GPO in the Arty having a GPS can save an awful amount of hassle, I try to only us it as a confirmation for my manual calclations, but if under pressure it can be used on its own. Also using GPS time for fire missions saves a lot of crap sync watches etc.

Comment

The danger is that we will rely too much on technology and the old skills will be lost. That being said there is no point in living in the past either.

Comment

Working...
                              X