Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Manuals

[MOD: Split from RE Org thread.]

RDF TMs need to be updated, badly. See TM201 as an example. The new TAMs are excellent, if you can get your paws on them.

There are some issues with TM201 but it's by no means an RDF TM

On reading the New TAM one gets an infomation overload but I suspect it'll pass with practice.

Whoever said "Make your own battle book"
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Borrowed someone I know's to look a couple of months back. Didn't check (re TAM ) .

Isn't 625 for everyone as well ? or am I mixing this up with range practices.

Comment

here are so many great differences with the way units are trained
        hopefully the Depot will put these wrongs to right. Some units seem to writing their own S.O.P's

The CoS says RDF bods overseas in 2 years. Well it could be tomorrow as far as I am concerned because the training beforehand lasts for 6 months, so you might as well be a recruit joining the PDF. If you dont pass that then the soldier shouldnt be out there.

speaking of the new TAM's does anyone know where I can get my hands on them??

Comment

There was 5000 printed. All have been "issued".
          I imagine many are sitting on bookshelves somewhere,looking pretty.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I've the General TAM's, Can't seem to Get my hands on the Infantry one though. Something about Hens Teeth. But I do know someone who's seen both the Infantry one. and the Company Commanders one!!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

There is an artical about them in this months An Cosantoir. Having used them myself, may I say that they are very easy to use and follow...
              If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Some units seem to writing their own S.O.P's

Oddly enough. Maybe so that everybody in the unit will operate in a standard manner?
                sigpic
                Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                My favourite moment was when the
                red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Well it was about time new TAMs were issued. Too many people in the RDF who needed them were getting them. [ The old ones ]

:p

Comment

Some units seem to writing their own S.O.P's
                    I.E they were operating out on their own, as opposed to any brigade centralised doctrine.

the new TAMS should be on issue to the Reserve straightaway

Comment

as opposed to any brigade centralised doctrine.

There isn't any such thing. Doctrine comes from training manuals. Individual units can adapt the info contained within, to a certain extent, to suit their own SOPs.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

here groundhog, ill spell it out this time round.

Have you ever went to different unit and found out how completly different they do things. How one unit may be making up their own procedures or teaching the privates nonsense while other units may be very professional and trying to follow what is taught at the Depot or in the Manual.

There should be one standard. One way of doing something. I.E the right way

Comment

I experienced that once,to be told "the manual is rubbish,this is how we do it here".

Comment

but groundhog,if every1 did it their own way there would be no SOP.There has to b the same across the board

Comment

There is a dangerous tradition particularly in the RDF of doing things "their way". Much of this is due to poor training in the past,and resourceful NCOs and officers learning their fieldcraft and tactics from books such as "combat and survival" and the movies.
                              I recently had to suffer a lecture by an instructor who assured us that a kip mat was an unnecessary piece of kit. Same individual had penknife,compass,and kfs all together uselessly on knotted paracord in the one pocket of his smock. He was also willing to spend (according to himself) E300 on a pair of boots,while still struggling with 58 pat webbing and a quasi military bergen.
                              He had not seen or heard of any of the packing lists that have been prepared and improved upon many times in the last few years,since the Irish DF begun to participate on missions such as East Timor,where proper admin in the field was vital.

Comment

Working...
                              X