Nautical Training ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautical Training ships

It is about time she(Emer) was decomissioned but its all down to money, the government is unwilling to put money forward for a replacement.
    She rolls like a b***h at sea now and while the LPVs and eithne can even the other PVs can withstand a hammering Emer ends up anchoring if the weather is anything above a force 6. Its just too dangerous to be at sea in a heavy swell on her.

but the perfect training vessel for the new college, and 100 times more useful than the Cill Airne thats for sure.

Cill airne hasnt seen anything other than the south Custom House Quay in ages..back in my day she used to head downriver at least every 2 weeks. I believe its down to the cost of diesel..her engine would be one of the first Diesels used in a vessel of her type,all others of type being heavy oil fired.(for those who are not familiar,she is similar to the "ferry cross the mersey"
    Looking at emer in drydock,I never knew she has stabilisers,were they an afterthought? The stubbyness of them compared to Eithnes "wings" make me wonder about their effectiveness.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

the fact that the cill airne does not go down river anymore is defenitly not down to the cost of diesel.her tanks were 3/4 full last time i took a sounding (today).the engines are in very very good shape .......me and one of the lads in my class did the crankshaft deflections a few weeks ago and we were hard pressed to get any reading at all

the real reason she doesnt leave the custom house quay is that her hull plating is so thin it bearly passed survey and hence she isnt insured to make any voyages outside the upper harbour....which in short means none at all....machinery is fine....hull needs a miricle
      i dont think any of the NS pvs would be too suitable as training vessels.engine rooms are too small to get a full class into and the machinery is laid out in its own unique way......the engine room layout on the TV Cill Airne and a modern VLCC is surprisingly similar
      Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

Is the fuseboard still "live"? Sorry to hear she failed bottom survey. I blame the gridiron. It is true tho her engine room is a good classroom,and one of the cleaner ones too.Pity about the asbestos tho. She would do well in the lower harbour as a floating resturaunt or something,in line twith the liner development that is in the planning stages.
        The ship I speak of is the general cargo ship that currently sits tied up by the graving dock in the dockyard,and was opposite CillAirne on the south jetties for a long time. I believe the owner has offered its use to the Nautical dept. What better way to train merchantmen than on a merchant ship,and seamanship does not need to be instructed in a naval vessel.

Comment

the asbestos isnt a big bother at the moment as it hasnt broken down to dust yet...i take it your refering to the grid iron thats over the sw suct valves....bad idea...localised galvanic cell and all that.
          by the fuseboard are you refering to the shore connection board or the ER board.not a hope of a floating resteraunt,sewage treatment system hasnt a hope of ever getting passeed.........straight pipe from arse to ocean
          Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

No,the gridiron I referred to was the lump of steel that used to belong to the harbour commissioners ,on lower glanmire road,opposite parc ui caoimh,where bottom surveys used to be carried out. But not being a grease monkey,i was not aware of those other issues.
            The ER Board by the way..we were told to avoid standing near it..it had a tendancy to arc..

Comment

nah....safe as houses that......big old DC switching straight out of a frankenstein movie.....

Comment

Thats the one..complete with the ceramic connections......ITS AAAALIIIVE. Sovely "boat" all the same.

Comment

the plate thickness test consisted of me and a few of the lads from the class walking around the dock bottom in verlome with hammers thumping the hull to see how it is.......hammers went through in some places under the ER bilges.........

Comment

Sadly Cill Airne will soon leave the South Custom house quay for the last time,as she is due to be sold. She is no longer required by CIT as a training vessel,as the facilities in the new maritime College in Ringaskiddy will provide trainees with simulators for all equipment they would normally encounter on a working Vessel.

I Imagine many of those in the Nautical industry in Ireland,and elsewhere will be sorry to see her go,as she provided many Trainee deck officers,Marine engineers and merchant seamen with their first experience of working aboard a ship with the deck moving gently under your feet.

It also reduces the need for a training ship,if the mercantile marine believe they can teach seamanship ashore.

Comment

Actually after looking at this link..I am convinced....

Comment

Latest Update,Good news for Cill Airne.

Cork's maritime history produces auction piece
                        THURSDAY 09/09/2004 11:58:04

A ship that has had a unique place in Cork's maritime history is going under the hammer at auction.

The Cill Áirne is the last of Cork`s Atlantic liner tender vessels and is being auctioned off at the Imperial Hotel on Cork`s South Mall.

The boat has been a permanent fixture at Cork Harbour for as long as many people can remember.

Built over 40 years ago, the vessel was used to bring passengers from liners such as the QE2 to shore and is the last of its kind.

The Cork Institute of Technology has used it in the training of its maritime students but because CIT`s new marine college at Ringaskiddy will be equipped with navigation training facilities, the Cill Áirne has been made redundant.

Now, after four decades of service, she is expected to make her last voyage to a scrap yard - bidders from Ireland, the United Kingdom, Holland and Pakistan have shown interest in the sale, and the boat is expected to fetch a price of around €30,000.
                        and later that day..

THURSDAY 09/09/2004 13:26:13 1 comment
                        Well known Cork boat saved from scrapheap

Two Cork publicans have saved a piece of Cork history from the scrapyard.

The two men have bought the Cill Áirne, an Atlantic liner tender vessel which has berthed in Cork for the past 40 years.

The Killarney was sold at auction for €76,000, more than twice its anticpated price, and had attracted much international interest.

The boats new owners intend to turn it into a floating pub.

Comment

We need a decent maritime muesuem in this country....EMER would be ideal as she has transgessed three generations of naval vessels. She should be moored permantly and put on display to the public....before she becomes a diving site!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The old Graving Dock in the Naval Base would be an ideal location. Get those bloody yachts out..

Comment

CORK HARBOUR TENDER SOLD
                              The former Cork Harbour tender, Cill Airne, has been sold at auction in Cork for €76,000 Euro by Auctioneer, Dominic Daly, on behalf of the Cork Institute of Technology which had used her in recent years for training nautical students. She has been bought by two Cork businessmen - John Daly and Gerard Long - who intend to turn her into a floating bar and restaurant in the port, specifically for next year when Cork becomes the European city of Culture. Built at the Liffey Dockyard in Dublin, she was launched in 1963. Interestingly, the sister ship of the CILL AIRNE - the BLARNA - is for sale in the United States. She left Cork to become a tender in Bermuda, was renamed the CHAUNCEY M DEPEW and went from there to Canada where she was re-named again as the GOBLET D'ARGENT II under which name she is now for sale, for which information I'm thankful to John Luxton of the website www.irishseashipping.com - the Online Shipping Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X