Historical Mistakes in Irish Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Mistakes in Irish Films

From the On this Day thread a few mistakes in Michael Collins were pointed out.

1. The lad in the film who was with Michael Collins at Béal na Bláth wasn't Emmet Dalton.

2. De Valera wasn't in the area.

3. Ned Broy wasn't hung by the Black and Tans.

4. There were no car bombs in the 1920s.

Any other mistakes, deliberate or otherwise, that annoy you in films, let us know.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Michael Collins again.

The Brits driving armoured cars on the pitch at Croke Park & opening up with machine guns.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Jordan's movie left out the whole negotiation of the Treaty, which is a part of Collins' role in irish history which is just a teensy weensy bit important...not really a factual error as such.

In "Some Mother's Son", the Bobby Sands type character is deliberately made to look like Jesus, a comparison which other Republicans made, notably that looper John M Feehan.

Pretty much every movie made in Hollywood about the military is hilariously innacurate....among my favorites are GI Jane, Heartbreak Ridgea and The Rock.
      "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

probably

3. Ned Broy wasn't hung by the Black and Tans.

4. There were no car bombs in the 1920s.
        couldnt disagree there allthough i do believe it may have been entirely possible. to make a car go boom doesnt take a lot of clout. simply put a few wires where they dont belong and when the poor sap goes to turn it on poof. No good any more though as anyone remotley suspicious that they might be a target can easily check this.
        In "Some Mother's Son", the Bobby Sands type character is deliberately made to look like Jesus
        i found that more of a joke than anything else.
        Pretty much every movie made in Hollywood about the military is hilariously innacurate....among my favorites are GI Jane, Heartbreak Ridgea and The Rock.
        Ah the rock now that was entertaining. As for heartbreak ridge there was one type of thing which was apparently going on to a small extent. That was the poor training methods (the ambush site for 1st platoon). My Uncle was in the U.S. marines at the time and siad that that bit wasnt so far from the truth in some cases. :D

Comment

Trust me, there were no car bombs in 1920 - Jordan admitted he made this up for a laugh....I'm sure it went down a treat among Northern Prods.

i found that more of a joke than anything else.
          I didn't - gives the lie to the IRA claim that their war wasn't sectarian.

As for heartbreak ridge there was one type of thing which was apparently going on to a small extent. That was the poor training methods (the ambush site for 1st platoon). My Uncle was in the U.S. marines at the time and siad that that bit wasnt so far from the truth in some cases.
          The whole movie is a farce - they're supposed to be Force Recon on Camp Lejeune (which mysteriously looks like SoCal) and no regular grunt unit wd have performed like that so I wd say your uncle is probably full of ordure.

Roger Mellie

Comment

not what i meant

Trust me, there were no car bombs in 1920 - Jordan admitted he made this up for a laugh....I'm sure it went down a treat among Northern Prods.
            I know just merely highlighting the fact that it could have been done.
            The whole movie is a farce - they're supposed to be Force Recon on Camp Lejeune (which mysteriously looks like SoCal) and no regular grunt unit wd have performed like that so I wd say your uncle is probably full of ordure.
            no no. my point wasnt that there was an outfit like recon platoon i never heard anything like it. My point is that such things as "we'l reach the ambush site in approximatley 10 minutes" were happening though not on a widespread basis from what he knew.
            anyway heartbreak ridge was a good laugh.:D

Comment

Mistakes in Michael Collins

Michael Collins was not Minister for Intelligence he was Minister of Finance but was head of Intelligence in the IRA.
              It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

In the Name of the Father, RAF don't operate CN.235s, that happen to be AC CASA painted in RAF colours.

Comment

Battle of Britain ........qall the german aircraft were painted over spanish copies with Rolls royce engines.

the shots for the GPO were actually filmed in kilkenny and are short a pillar. Michael Collins.

saving Ryans Privates....the British ...did actually help invade Europe !

:D
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Was that when Tom Hanks and the FCA invaded Curracloe and Taghmon?
                    Speaking of FCA battles...Braveheard wasnt exactly factual either...The main battle scene kinda lacked a bridge..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Kitty Kiernan acting like a gangster moll brandeshing pistolas and what not.
                      When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                      All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Originally posted by ex pat 007
                        Kitty Kiernan acting like a gangster moll brandeshing pistolas and what not.
                        My kinda woman!!!:D

Why didn't we get to see Mick hook up with Lady Lavery? I believe in the Brendan Gleeson one he does, but it's been a while.

Roger Mellie

Comment

Why didn't we get to see Mick hook up with Lady Lavery? I believe in the Brendan Gleeson one he does, but it's been a while.

Jesus wept. We can't have a nationalist icon shagging a Brit aristocrat. Not the done thing.
                          sigpic

Comment

An Indian nationalist did - apparently Nehru was shagging Louis Mountbatten's better half while the latter was still Viceroy in India...which might explain the development of Indian history of the period!!!:D

Roger Mellie

Comment

Harry Boland wasn't shot in a river and he didn't die immediately.He died a couple of days later.

The MP 18 that was used in the restaurant assassination didn't ring true either.
                              Last edited by Groundhog; 12 September 2004, 10:03.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X