What bits do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What bits do you have?

Just wondering what bits of militaria the users of the board have? Most people have some item of interest sitting on a shelf somewhere.
    Often it was issued to someone who never got around to giving it back,or was aquired through other means.

For example I have a 6pounder Shell casing from a Hotchkiss QF,possibly Naval gun. The date on the base is 1911 so there is a good chance that it was fired sometime in the early days of this nation...

I use it for keeping small change.

I also have a Russian Naval Aviation Lieutenants shoulder boards.

anyone else?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

I have a defence forces training manual for the lewis gun circa 1927, shows you how to properly shoot down a plane and all!

Comment

Have button from an Irish volunteers tunic. Is green with a harp and IV on it. On the back it sayes "Quinn & Co. Belfast" It was given to me by my uncle who was given it by my grandad's gardener who was digging in their house in Ballsbridge where there was some fighting in 1916. They reckon it got tore off the tunic when he was hopping over a wall cos that's where it was found.

Also have a BA Green Howards cap badge without the pin which my Uncle found in the dirt beside a road in Clare many years ago. Must have broken off the soldiers cap or something.
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a defence forces training manual for the lewis gun circa 1927, shows you how to properly shoot down a plane and all!

Don't try it at home.:D

A nice collection of WW1 Cap badges. A stack of Irish and British cloth flashes including nearly all the UNIFIL battalions. My Olde FCA tunic- the bum freezer one.

I once had a 12th Bn Unit flash from the 70s which some bastard stole on me. I even know who it is and may he die roaring with a scab on the tip of his penis.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

I have handwritten notes from an ldf ossifer from the emergency on the weapons in use then... and the garda journal in volumes from the 20s and 30s in volumes complete with original dust !
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I have some Hitler Diaries. One careful owner. Guaranteed.......
            Meh.

Comment

I have a medal of some sort from my great grandfathers uniform, he was in the british army medical corps in the first world war.

Must dig it up and scan it in for everyone to see.

Also have a brass shell casing at home used by my mother to keep the poker in beside the fireplace, not sure what type of shell it is though. She got it from my grandfather who was a driver in a transport company during The Emergency.
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Most of the details can be got from the base..note the letters or marks on it,get th erough dimensions,and we will get our experts on it.

Comment

I have my Granddad's Emergency medal, he was in the LDF.

Also have another Emergency medal with bar given to me by an elderly gentleman who was in the Army. He gave it to me while he was dying, it meant alot to him that someone who knew what the medal was and it's history, had it after he was gone.
                  "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

A failry decent collection of Irish and forigen unit flashes, rank markings, stickers and pins/badges (including para wings) from various UN missions in the early 80s through to some later ones in the 90's. A few artiliary caseings (couldn't tell you anything about em). A few T-Shirts (possibly hats some where). I have a knife that members of the Austrian Army Officers Club carry. Also alot of pictures going back a fair bit.

Comment

2 AML 90 Shell casings, don't know what I am going to do with them

Comment

Dont let the cops find them anyway....

Comment

I've a SAS brass badge (winged dagger ie) i keep it hidden though, robbed it from my brother, he's not in any mil outfits

Comment

IRA war of independence medal, only 15,000 or so issued, no idea where it came from though. its lying on the bookshelves in my bedroom.

we used to have a soviet medal somewhere, mysteriously disappeared a few years ago.
                            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Morpheus,,,,,I hope that the dig it up phrase was not a reference to your grandfather being buried in in his uniform... as yes we would like to see his uniform...preferebly without your grandfather...Is the man still with us or has he passed on...?:D
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X