Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now thats a boatie

Yeah I know >75m = Ship
    The new French LPH "Mistral" has been launched yesterday in the military harbour of Brest.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

50m is what I was always taught,when I studied Nautical Science....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Try calling the LE Ciara a boat in Haulbowline and see where that gets you.
      ________
      Vaporgenie Vaporizer
      Last edited by Smithy; 9 March 2011, 14:51.

Comment

The safest term is "Vessel"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
          50m is what I was always taught,when I studied Nautical Science....
          ah crap...and I was quoting you
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Comment

A ship carries boats, boats are carried on ships. So if your 'ship' cannot carry a boat then perhaps it's not a ship..... or something like that
              No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
              No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

What about the RNLI Lifeboat? They all carry small boats...I have seen rowing boats carried on the roof of cabin cruisers..does that make them ships?
                I think my definition was more accurate.

Comment

If you need to be right all the time.....
                  No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
                  No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Originally posted by Vice Admiral
                    If you need to be right all the time.....

You decide.

Comment

Quick question, I think I remember something about if a vessel turns to port or starboard it is defined as a boat or ship depending on whether it rolls into the turn or not, it was about 15 years ago and since that no-one has mentioned it so it may have been BS, any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X