Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want a few tanks?

Turkey Not Interested in German Tanks

(Source: Deutsche Welle German radio; issued Oct. 18, 2004)

Turkey's foreign minister is visiting Berlin to discuss his country's entry in the European Union. Abdullah Gόl also refuted German media reports that Turkey wants to buy hundreds of German tanks.

Turkey currently has no interest in buying tanks from the German military, Gόl told the German business daily Handelsblatt at the start of his two-day visit to Berlin. He added that he was surprised that the issue had even become a topic in the media.

Last week, the German media began reporting that Turkey was interested in buying several hundred Leopard 2 tanks no longer needed by the German military.

While in Berlin, Gόl is meeting with his German counterpart, Joschka Fischer, among others. Referring to Turkey's negotiations to start accession talks with the European Union, Gόl admitted that his country still had some problems to solve.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Cue Irish government covering their ears and singing so they can safely say they heard nothing about it.
    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Jesus here we go again...if you muppets knew anything about either tanks or the DF you would know that
      a. we have no means to operate such vehicles

b. we could not afford to operate such vehicles

c. given the current stucture of the DF we have no requirement for such vehicles.

Goldie ...please please...close the thread on submitting such info or we will have every walter in the world suggesting why the DF should buy leopard 2 s and the like.

I'm a bit sick of this type of thread discussing what we should and shouldn't operate in the opinion of the great military walters of this earth.
      Reality check this is the irish Defence forces......we have no history of warfare with large scale armoured deployments and our anual defence spening is probably far less than keeping the drinks cabinets stocked on Airforce one.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Maybe we should just have a

"Why we don't need tanks"

Meh.

Comment

I would have stuck it on the back of all the old "we need tanks" threads,but the search function is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
            ...but the search function is broken.
            Gotta love this new site.....

-Y
            Meh.

Comment

It amy be ok to get a couple if the Germans wanted to sell thatm as they dig there migs to poland for €1, however it would be the spares and the training the would hammer the DF budget. What woul dhappen if the irish DF actually do go into Iraq after xmas like it stated in this Sundays Indo, I dont see the old Nissan Patrol being of much use, and the mowag must be strecthed at the minute with kosovo and Liberia using them.
              "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                Jesus here we go again...if you muppets knew anything about either tanks or the DF you would know that
                a. we have no means to operate such vehicles

b. we could not afford to operate such vehicles

c. given the current stucture of the DF we have no requirement for such vehicles.

Goldie ...please please...close the thread on submitting such info or we will have every walter in the world suggesting why the DF should buy leopard 2 s and the like.

I'm a bit sick of this type of thread discussing what we should and shouldn't operate in the opinion of the great military walters of this earth.
                Reality check this is the irish Defence forces......we have no history of warfare with large scale armoured deployments and our anual defence spening is probably far less than keeping the drinks cabinets stocked on Airforce one.
                Everyone read this before posting on this thread.

Comment

Hear Hear

Agreed, NO MORE ARMOUR DISCUSSIONS!!!!!!!!! End the madness now, we are better served just talking about IDF related issue, not "If I were the Minister, I would..........." crap. Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Bring back the points system and award them to morons for being morons...and peolpe who reply to threads in the News section!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                    X