Flag Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag Drill

Does anybody know what the correct method for raising and lowering the flag is?
    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

I'm sure its in the hand book on flags ....I've seen various methods over the years but am slow to say which is the correct one!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
      Does anybody know what the correct method for raising and lowering the flag is?

The official Handbook on the Irish National Flag it there and includes info on saluting, raising and lowering. The manual of Footdrill, I think (under Saluting), and the FCA Officers Handbook include a lot of the military aspects of the Flag.

Comment

Thanks Docman, but I was looking for a little more info. Such as the correct way to fold it once it had been taken down & who takes it down etc. More of a military aspect than civilian.

Comment

It is the generally, the orderly officer's and BOS's responsiblity to raise and lower the flag.

Comment

Such as the correct way to fold it once it had been taken down & who takes it down etc.
            That is the job of an Orderly Officer and Orderly Sgt. The officer takes it down and is assisted by the Sgt. There is a formal way to fold the flag but it has been lost to the annals of time (Green shall not touch Oranges etc etc.). Usually the flag is folded neatly and not allowed to trail on the ground. It is then carried on one Arm by the officer to wherever it is stored. It is part of Sergeants and officers training to learn how to handle the Flag appropriately.

Comment

a lot of myth on the subject...just amke sure that the flag doesn't touch the ground and it is folded with th orange facing out...anybody can lower flags ....as is carried out by QMs in the NS. Just give it the respect that it warrants.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Is it the green part to be showing or the orange? So we dont fold it like the Americans?

Comment

Is it the green part to be showing or the orange? So we dont fold it like the Americans?
                  No we don't fold it like the americans (Partculiar state funerals excepted) and it is the green that faces out.

Comment

Any funeral I've been at where honours were rendered involved the folding of the flag.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

make sure it never touch the ground .
                      and the green can not touch the orange.
                      any one can raise the flag . normanly the highest 2 ranks on duty

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
                        Any funeral I've been at where honours were rendered involved the folding of the flag.
                        ...yes, but not the way the americans do it, which is the point Docman was making.

Comment

It's been folded into a triangle.
                          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Never seen that.

Comment

The Folding culminates in a triangular fold,but only after the division of colours has taken place. The result should be a folded triangle with green,white,orange,white ,green visible on the longest side of the triangle.

However when this is being done,there is always a danger of one of the folding party falling into the grave. However I must look again at the video I have(had) of the state funerals to see exactly where the difference is.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X