End of an era...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an era...

The retirement of a Senior Naval NCO from east Cork marks the end of an era in Naval history.
    Warrant Officer Dermot Bates,who has worn the Quill and Key insignia of Admin Branch on his cuff since 1981, when he was promoted to that rank,holding the appointment of writer.
    His stand down parade took place last week after 43 years of service,a career which included three tours of duty with the UN on UNFICYP and UNIFIL, in Cyprus and Lebanon. As well as numerous foreign trips aboard Naval vessels,Including Eithnes first visit to New York,and St Petersburg the year before last.
    Married to Kathleen, their 2 sons Paul and Dermot Junior were also members of the Naval Service.
    He was the second person to hold the appointment of WO/Writer,but reorganisation of the Naval service means his appointment ceased to exist on his retirement,with much of the Admin branch becoming part of an overall logistics unit,as the Naval service tries to increase the numbers of personnel available for seagoing duties.
    A Spokesman for the Naval service paid tribute to Dermots dedicated service. "All of his colleagues in the Navy wish Dermot and Kathleen a healthy and happy retirement and thank dermot for his Valued service as a Friend and loyal colleague." They added "A keen sportsman, Dermot has had a lifelong involvement in athlethics both as a competitor and administrator. In recent years, he developed a keen interest in hillwalking and is a founder member of the Naval Service Hill Walking club, of which he is current chairman."

"I'll have to take plenty of exercise now and keep myself young and fit. Seriously though, I'll miss the action and company." Dermot said.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

I knew the man as he was the scribe who proceesed my paer work on enlistment...always had a kind word ..a true gent...

Goldie the admin barnch use the quill and key crossed as their unit flash. Where in the name of jaysus did you get comb from?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
    X