JETS: Smithy's response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JETS: Smithy's response

Minister for Defence, Micheal Smith, was interviewed on The Pat Kenny Radio Show today about Ireland's readiness to deal with any terriorist attacks.
    He said our emergency services were well prepared to deal with any such attacks - "the plans are in place", he said.
    (I suppose he would say that . wouldn't he !)

Then Pat Kenny read out the comments of three callers -

- one said that the money for Bertie's new jet would be enough to purchase fixed-wing aircraft to defend our airspace and that it was shameful that our airspace is undefended

- another stated that the government should be purchasing fighter jets instead of a VIP jet

- another said that it was a disgrace that the RAF would have to be called upon to defend us in the event of a terrorist attack.

Smithy's response was -
    "on the very day I would announce the purchase of such jets, people would be complaining that the money should be spend on education ..... A government's job is to priortise what the country's needs are...."

Typical politicans answer.
    So there we have it, in case we needed official clarification, a jet for Bertie & Co. is more important than defence of this country
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

I think what is more evident from this is the contempt with which the government treat the views of the poeple they represent. People rang in to express the wish that the defence of our country be put before the comfort of our politicians but yat again they ignored it. Just as an aside if they are planning to buy two new planes, lease a citation and hold onto the G IV for another while. Doesn't that give us a total of 4 jets!!! What the f**k do we need 4 jets for???
    There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

There will be a new part of the air corps set up when they get the four jets

its called the SMHAC

which is

Strategic
      Mary
      Harney
      Airlift
      Command

They need two jets for her and her lugauge
      You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Well just like the rest of the Air Corps it will not be issued with the proper tools for the job. In my opinion the SMHAC would have to be equipped with CASA or C-130, lets face it she'll need the loading ramp to get that ass of hers on the plane. As for her luggage im sure that Bertie and his mates would gladly shell out for a 747 to do the job. Well at least the Air Corps will have something they can be truely proud of - one of the best equipped MAT service in the world. I don't think they have ever been able to say before that they are the best equipped in the world to carry out a task.

Comment

Airlift

Would it not be better to get one of those big Antanov or a galaxy to haul that load out to open the auld off license. Been thinking about setting one up meself shure.
          And we need to be able to get to the Bahamas, Luxemborg, Isle of Man, Caymans and Oz to take care of state finance.
          To be serious, we do need some VIP transport system, but not two.
          I'd rather see the Aercorps get
          1:proper SAR capability around the coast for rescue and medivac,
          2:a big dedicated Medivac transport,like the SH 53. A lot of people need to travel to Dublin for medical tratment from Cork, the South East and the West.
          3:A naval Airwing for two HPV's, using the Aercorps does not work.

After that we could look at Light fighters/trainers. It is a question of prioroties.

Comment

What about the option of contractting out the MATS side of the Aer Corp and turn it into a purely military Air Corp.

Comment

MATS is a military task in most countries, they usually supplement it with an airforce though
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Re: JETS: Smithy's response

"..... A government's job is to priortise what the country's needs are...."

What does that mean?
                I dont rember any body say at the last election what shall we do with €50m, buy some jets to protect are air space. nah lets bay a luxuary aircraft so the bertie and co. can go on buissnes trips.
                do you?

Comment

chances of ireland atccaked by towel heads 1%

chances of betrie going to EU in style 100%

live with it, the govt dont care about defence.........until we (RDF or much more likely PDF) are needed. when irish troops die on the front line then they will act, congo, cyrpus, leb etc etc
                  You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Jets

Is there no way that the Irish people can lobby for these Aircraft? Say a petition? Outside help/interference?:D ( Interference to the GOVT )

Just a thought:-patriot:

Comment

Act to cover their own posteriors alas....once again I'm faced with the tough career question, serve here or serve there.
                      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Like it or not Smith has a point. By and large the vast majority of the electorate don't care about defence. If he was to announce the purchase of new fighters he would be hounded from all sides for spending money on 'toys for the boys'. We can give out about him all we like, but the fact of the matter is that he holds a ministry with no clout. Bertie wants these jets, Harney & McCreevy agree with him. It would be political suicide for Smith to object.
                        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

That is one of the problems wih the Defence Forces, They don't really have a public profile. If they did then the public would realise the problems faced by our forces. People who understand the role played by the Defence Forces should also understand the problems they face i.e the shortage of equipment. The Air Corps does need SAR helos and aircraft which are able to protect our air space it is the minisers job to make them understand this.

Comment

People don't want to know. More has been done in recent years than ever before to raise the public profile. Parades, advertisements, press conferences - none of it has really made a difference. The only time there public is interested is when some soldier dies, I fear it will take high profile casualties like Niemba to bring on a resurgance of public pride.
                            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Perhaps you are right or perhaps a high profile deployment could do the trick. At the moment we are supplying a hand full of troops to every shitty little operation that comes along perhaps what we need is another batallion size deployment like the Leb but maybe for not as long. I think the good work the irish can do is better done in large groups where we can make a difference and not in little penny packets where all the glory is taken up by the big boys. We have every reason to be proud of the work done by our forces and i think it's about time this was recognised. It could cost money but in the long term it could be worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X