Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Lansverks article in UK mag.

For anybody interested -

There is a feature article on Irish Army Lansverks in the Jan 05 issue of 'Classic Military Vehicles' magazine (which is in the shops now).

The 'Lansverks' featured are the Irish-built variants, one of which has been immaculately restored by (and is displayed in) the Tank Museum in the UK.

What did the Army get in exchange for it when it went to the UK (many years ago) ?
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

The Scania..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Ireland didn't build lansverks!..we built a rough copy on a leyland chasiss...and a similar one on a dodge chassis.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I thought they were Swedish.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Landsverks swopped for.....

ooops.. damn lack of sleep made me post that the Landsverk was swopped for a Ferret when infact it was a Leyland armoured car that we swopped with the British ( and that Leyland and swop is the one covered by the Military Modelling magazine article back in the mid 80s). The Landsverks and Leylands were both similar looking( both 6x6 ) hence my initial confusion.

Regards

MÃ¥k
          Last edited by MÃ¥k; 11 December 2004, 20:56.

Comment

Irish Army Lansverk

PICTURE TAKEN AT CAVALRY CORPS 80th ANNIVERSARY
            Other Pics of that day: Click Here
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Fianóglach; 11 December 2004, 18:43.
            Glaine ár gcroí
            Neart ár ngéag
            Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Comment

Is that what the cav corps used to lovelingly refer to as an oven on wheels? Or was it a different armoured car?
              The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

That was the Fords. the lansverks were built in sweden..the dodges and leylands were built on comercial truck chassis in Ireland. the fords were built again on commercial truck chassis by thompsons in carlow........

read karl Martins book Irish army vehicles for a detailed history of ALL irish army transport.

CMV have an add for a AML90 petrol engined..probably spanish...for sale if anybody is interested.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Link to the Irish Leyland at the tank museum

Comment

What did we swap to get the Scania then?

Comment

As pictured in the mag (except in black and white!) -

Interestingly, the tank museum's website states that the (Swedish) Lansverks had a "rear facing drivers position" ???

How did that work ?

----------------------------------------

Also, speaking of old armour, I notice that the small tank (name eludes me?) in the Curragh has been repainted and moved to the front of one of the new buildings.
                      Last edited by Silver; 13 December 2004, 03:55.
                      IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

it has a second driver in the rear,facing rearwards naturally,to assist in making a fast getaway...

"full speed ahead..backwards"

Comment

Rear facing driver? Handy for the cav! Only joking, it was begging to be said, sorry :wink:
                          Factories dont burn themselves down, they need help from people like you and me.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver
                            Also, speaking of old armour, I notice that the small tank (name eludes me?) in the Curragh has been repainted and moved to the front of one of the new buildings.
                            It's a Comet, if I remember correctly....
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

npe i think the small tank that you are alluding to is the landswerk L60 that was parked up as gate guardian in front of the cav school. The comet is a larger more serious looking piece of kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X