PDA

View Full Version : thinking of a transfer.

boforgunner
18th March 2003, 11:09
can anyone tell me what the slua units in cork are like?what are they up to these days.Just completing my diploma in marine engineering in cit and will be taking up my position at sea very shortly.just a thought....maybe the wavy navy might be more in line with my career than th ad regt

Earhart
18th March 2003, 11:57
AH!!!!! Don't leave us....... The AD (or just me) would miss you too much. (some others might be delighted ;) )

boforgunner
18th March 2003, 12:06
seriously earhart,getting savage browned off with the chiefs in our place and i could further myself better in the slua maybe.....

Vice Admiral
18th March 2003, 22:11
Soundest bunch of lads you'll ever meet ( and lassies),
you'll get to do your marine firefighting course, you'll need that in the merchant marine. Going on patrol might be a bit of a busmans holiday though.

Also double pay, i.e. a leading hand (Cpl) with line pay and seagoing allowance gets about E800 per week, on top of a bond on board, it's cheaper than the mess!!!

If your lucky enough to get out on the Eithne you might get a look at he 76's fire control system, it can hit an aircraft at mach 1.8 at a range of 2 miles (or so it says on the tin).

Could not reccomend the Cork NSR any higher, big shout out to all of them.

hptmurphy
19th March 2003, 01:55
does any body have any pictures of the Eithne with her new 76mm....how did they convert the ammunition hoists from the magazine....is the DAO 5 fire control system gone can the new weapon be operated from the TDS on the bridge or is it fired solely from the ops room c'mon don't keep us in the dark...what is happening to the old 57mm....is it going to be mounted on the square along with the twelve pounder and the four inch.....?

FMolloy
19th March 2003, 15:38
Did someone here not see the Eithne with her 57mm intact recently?

boforgunner
19th March 2003, 17:02
ill have a look out my window later and tell you.i live in cobh btw!
also have 6 months sea time on vlcc's,cpsc course and fire fighting crs done

Goldie fish
19th March 2003, 18:29
It still has a 57mm. They took the 57mm out,fecked around downstairs,and put it back on again. I believe it now has a similar c&c setup to Niamh and Roisin...but what would I know..
Recent photo(jan/feb follows soon)

hptmurphy
19th March 2003, 20:49
so why is vice admiral telling us that she has recieved the 76mm OTO Melara as her primary weapon or amI misreading his posts?

Goldie fish
19th March 2003, 20:51
As promised here u Go.

A Point to the one considering transferring. I tried the same thing recently,with only a 1 day sea survival,1 day firefighting and powerboat class1, 4 months seatime as a deckie and was told I was over qualified. Then again,my rank and age may have caused a problem also.
The Cork lads are A1 though all of them,all ranks. One frequents here occasionally,but I think he is currently in hiding. Not once did I get any snide remarks about "sandbags" or "groundpounder" but instead was welcomed as one of the lads,which is more than can be said for some Army reserve units.
I was extremely dissapointed to be unable to transfer to them...:(
Here they are by the way on paddys day.
http://www.saffrontech.co.uk/paddysday/paddysdayparade020.jpg

boforgunner
20th March 2003, 16:46
overqualified???????????????????????shit.......... ..do they have much call for engineers or is it only the regs that get to be oily

Vice Admiral
20th March 2003, 22:21
Sorry HPT youre not misreading, im mistyping, it always was a 57

hptmurphy
20th March 2003, 23:59
Common sense at this stage says that they should fit the 76mm to the eithne ..maybe its wishful thinking or maybe you are trying to convey the same message....

I gather that you are NS....what ship? whay division? how long in?

Hey goldie shite photo....what a motley crew slua flash at someones elbow...?

Goldie fish
21st March 2003, 01:40
I claim no credit for the photo..I was with my homies in Limerick that day ,armed with a camcorder (as earhart will tell you) I guess the check parades were short that day?

The Eithne one is mine tho..notice the contrast in style/colour composure?(ie,a bit blurry...the camera was cold,lens slightly fogged up..)

Bravo20
21st March 2003, 09:58
Goldie that seems like a strange reason for a refusal

Goldie fish
22nd March 2003, 22:27
You think that too?:confused:

Vice Admiral
23rd March 2003, 22:50
HPT: No, I'm a part timer, location to remain undisclosed in case authorities get serious about the board.

And youre right about the shoulder flash, unless it was a divisional badge on the wrong side? Wouldn't be the first time especially with the large amount of recruits were getting

hptmurphy
23rd March 2003, 22:53
Thanks Goldie nice piccy of the harbour hotel glad to report no changes ..... my first home from home.....Yankee sierra you're looking good

Vice Admiral
23rd March 2003, 22:53
I was "Neptune" in a previous life, some unknown quantum forces have prevented me from logging back in with that ID.

hptmurphy
24th March 2003, 22:14
fair enough.....still no excuse for improperly worn uniforms .
Actually I think the flash should be done away with altogether.

I have never worn an FCA flash as I believe .....and the rest of my unit.... that the unit flash is enough to declare our status....the FCA flash was a label enforced on the organisation to enforce some sort of segregation.......The DPM uniform is on issue to every body but i think the unit identity should be displayed on the bottom of the rank markings as do the brits ...it gets a bit confusing with the similarity in headress.....except for the cav...although few units PDF wear the red badge behind their cap badge making impossible to seperate one from the other .

It might sound trivial but some people are very proud of their unit identity and should be given a means to display their unit identity....what about it subdued unit number on rank markings .I'm sure they could be made up privately.

Vice Admiral
24th March 2003, 23:03
the flashes are a very hot topic at the moment, we had a very senior officer sent home from a conference in the base because he wasn't wearing them, this was his third public outing like this and he was told after each of the previous two outings to put them up by the staff officer i/c NSR. So three strikes and your out, and out he went, four hour drive from dublin to the base to be sent home. The NSR never had unit flashes so they are not an option to replace them.

I agree unit flashes would suffice for the FCA though, thats if there are any left after the re-org.

If the army were serious they would subsume the FCA into their own battalions, leaving them in the position where they required the reserve to mount a large operation like shannon. For instance (my knowledge of army battalion structure is poor but) i believe the 12th infantry to be comprised of 5 companys, HQ ABC and D, why not make 50% of C and D coys reserve? or 15% of each coy reserve. I know there is a huge issue with loyalty towards units with long histories but there is no getting away from it.

The NS are serious as a heart attack about training 'their' NSR ratings now, no more shortcuts, where a course is done it's the same course as the PDF or no course at all, full stop. They appear willing to modularise some courses for weekend training and thats going to get very interesting when we get around to the heavy gunnery, and the holy grail, watchkeeping for our officers ( I'll believe that when it happens).

boforgunner
25th March 2003, 21:20
any answers lads????will i be allowed in the engins room or do i have to be a deck ape?

Goldie fish
25th March 2003, 21:47
At present the NS has no requirment for anything other than Deck crew from the NSR. This is where most of their shortages are.
Dont expect any different cos you have half a ticket..

boforgunner
26th March 2003, 14:57
i thought the defence forces were big into recognising and utilising the skills of the reserve.......................

PSO
26th March 2003, 16:03
You will be allowed in the Engine room and thats for definite, with people skilled like yourself the cadre officer will have a word with the MEO on board and let him know you are going to be aboard for a patrol.

They will probably spend a day or so showing you around, get you to stand a couple of watches with the mech's and then you will probably shadow an ERA for the rest of the patrol.

You WILL get oily.

boforgunner
26th March 2003, 16:10
trust me pal....ive plenty oily before and i loves it!!!!!!just keep me away from the atlas plant.drives me nuts

boforgunner
26th March 2003, 18:29
i also have the PDF detachment commanders course done for the new L70 that will be retrofitted to the PVs soon...and thats official...check out ROs for the combat support college DFTC

Goldie fish
28th March 2003, 04:10
Hmm..I dont mean to be cynical all the time,but I was recently informed Officially(not informally) that the Naval service has no requirement for anything other than seamans branch at the moment. No shortages in Mech branch,no requirement for NSR Mechs...check out the uniforms..all you will see is crossed anchors.I am pretty sure HPT will know more about this also,but the only similarity between the land Bofors and the Naval ones are the Barrels. The amount of time they are in use would restrict the time you would be spending on them in any case. Seaman Gunner is proficient on all naval weapons,not just the 40...so unless they are doing a 20mm course down in cobh also...

Dont hold out much hope in any case.. I heard unofficially that the new head honcho in Cork NSR is "reluctant" to accept transfers from the green beret. All 6 others who were intending to transfer the same time as me have fallen by the wayside,and not transferred. The only former infantryman there at the mo is former 21bn,who is a TDO in CIT,but who had to enter as an O/sea(2 star). But he transferred under the Old OC.

If you succeed be sure to let me know..:eek:

PSO
28th March 2003, 09:29
I have it from the very highest level, in fact, I was directed to inform Boforgunner that should his transfer be successfull, his skills will be utilised in the engine room.

What goldie says is correct, the other divisions have been removed from the NSR but don't think for a second that if you have a skill they won't use it.

No shortage of mech's? I doubt it, but there definitely is a massive shortage of ERA's which is more like bofor's skill set.
The fastest route to PO in the INS apart from direct entry is as an ERA, there have been vacancies for years.

(ERA = Engine Room Artificer = Diesel fitter/mechanic/wizard)

PSO
28th March 2003, 09:31
and what the hell were you doing on the board at 4am? you need a role model

Goldie fish
28th March 2003, 12:12
Tis true....I have no life..

I was told I knew too much..they couldnt teach me anything..:o

boforgunner
29th March 2003, 11:28
ERA shortages are reaching critical levels.....sisters BF is a leading ERA and the poor fecker hasent had time off in donkeys....

Erwin
29th March 2003, 14:21
Thats what he says!!:D

hptmurphy
29th March 2003, 22:48
okay goldie .. the major difference between the l60 and l70 is in barrel lenght the l stands for barrel lenght.... 60 is 60 times the clibre ie 40 x60 and 70 is 40 x 70... no great changes to tje actual weapon... sorry to diadoint but the conversions have already been caried out on the PVS... the new gun has a cctv camera linked back to the ops room in all fittings ....`the mounting has also changed from a hydraulic mounting to an electric mounting...ie the no 3 on the mounting is no longer responsible for the hydraulic pressure ....30psi...and is now soley responsible for the ammunition supply to the letter box rack.

Goldie fish
30th March 2003, 16:37
I already knew this..why u tellin me? Tell the Boforgunner youngfella the odds of him being let near the yokes as a sluggie crewman!:-patriot:
Most of the conversions were carried out at least 3 years ago according to the money figures. The bofors hoists are gone also..a safety problem it seems.....wonder what they done with Deirdres gun...

Its amazing how many people dont know what the L means...at the baldonell Airshow some years ago,a PDF'r minding an L 60 tried to convince me that the L70 was a larger calibre than the L60...then again another one told me that the Air Corps were in the process of Buying an F27...

boforgunner
11th April 2003, 17:35
sorry to burst yer bubbles lads but there are a few more differences to argued about....the L70 chambers the round during the runout of the gun and the L60 chambers it after....hence the 300rpm as opposed to 120

Ferdia
24th April 2004, 01:17
Is it possible to transfer from the FCA to the slua and do a few courses on the marine side of things or do u have to start from scratch?

Vice Admiral
26th April 2004, 10:34
As a Private, you will hold your rank but will have to do a recruits course in the Base to qualify for seagoing. If you don't want to go to sea then don't apply.
As an NCO it depends on a lot of things, most especially why you want to move.

macca
26th April 2004, 11:32
Isn't there supposed to be a conversion course???

Vice Admiral
26th April 2004, 22:47
The last FCA NCO to transfer did an extended conversion but it is not formalised.
She was the first to tranfer in quite a while and going on the averages it may be quite some time before there is another. Privates transferring will just do the recruits course.

Sharp_Shooter
26th February 2005, 17:53
I have been a memeber of the FCA for about a year and a half, but have decided that I want to join the Navy after school. How do I go about transferring to the Naval reserves? I have been told by many people that I can't. Any Suggestions? :frown:

Goldie fish
26th February 2005, 20:32
Its not impossible,but it can be difficult,depending on your rank. Apply for a transfer in the usual manner,but its worth getting to know a few bods in the NSR first,so you know what you are letting yourself in for.
Being a Member of the FCA is as much an advantage when joining the Naval service as being a member of the Naval Service reserve. You'll still have to learn everything from the start.

hptmurphy
26th February 2005, 22:59
Given that the NSR now actually go to sea ..if you are considering a career in the NS it might not be such a bad idea. Firstly contact your local NSR unit and see will they take you. Some times units don't like to poach from each other. If they will just put in a letter requesting transfer through your company office. Beware it may take a while as these things are notoriously slow!

Sharp_Shooter
26th February 2005, 23:04
Thanks for the advice.

lefty
2nd March 2005, 17:10
Do you have to meet the CO if ur transfering from one unit to another, or can u just go down and hand in a request to cadre staff during the week?

hptmurphy
2nd March 2005, 21:02
if you hand in a request for transfer ...he'll probably come looking for you ! wouldn't worry too much about it ...

lefty
3rd March 2005, 10:26
I aint worried about it i just want out with the least possible of problems, and going down and handing in a transfer request to the stores private would be so much easier than looking for the CO on a training night

Goldie fish
3rd March 2005, 17:20
Hint:ordinary ranks don't go looking for officers,officers look for ncos to look for ordinary ranks...not the other way around. follow the chain of command. Jumping it at the early stages is bad for your future.

lefty
3rd March 2005, 18:36
Yeh thats all fine and good but a transfer takes long enough without waiting for one of my corporals to get his finger out. And i dont want to look for the CO i just want to fill in the form i assume there is a transfer form then get the ball rolling so i can change units, dont see what it has anything to do with any of my ncos to be honest

Goldie fish
3rd March 2005, 21:31
OK. Its obvious you have not read any of the previous replies. Go on,off you go, do your own thing,ignore the advice of those who have done it. You obviously know more than everyone else.

I suggest you ring FOCNS and tell him you want to transfer. Tell him you want a promotion too. How can he refuse.

DeV
3rd March 2005, 21:33
Yeh thats all fine and good but a transfer takes long enough without waiting for one of my corporals to get his finger out. And i dont want to look for the CO i just want to fill in the form i assume there is a transfer form then get the ball rolling so i can change units, dont see what it has anything to do with any of my ncos to be honest

Apart from the fact that you are their responsibility. The first people your company commander will want to talk to, is them to find out why you want to leave.

There is a lot of paperwork to be done to do ANYTHING (joining/leaving/clothing/field day/camp etc).

The best approach to take is to ask your section commander how to do go about getting a transfer, he/she more than likely wouldn't know, then ask can you talk to the platoon sgt, he/she will pass you on to the CS / platoon commander. Then you have the "ball rolling" in the space of less than 30 minutes.

lefty
4th March 2005, 10:20
Yeh ok i take on board what Goldie Fish and Dev are saying maybe im being a bit hot headed and not taking the advice of people who are more experienced than me. So what steps should i take. After reading previous posts i see that going down and trying to get a transfer by seeing the full time cadre staff isnt seen as a good idea.

So how do i go about it? I was thinking of going down out of uniform on my next training night and going and finding an nco and telling him i want a transfer. But that might be seen as skipping the chain of command. So what is my best option, going down training and then when we are having a "smoke break" telling the corporal i want a transfer? Whatever advice that the old sweats have ill take on board coz i realise u know more than me

Vice Admiral
4th March 2005, 13:12
Write a letter addressed to your CO.
State simply that

1. You want to transfer to Unit X
2. Why you want to Transfer
3. Ask what you should do next to make the transfer happen.

If you PM me I will send you a word document that you can print and sign.

boforgunner
29th March 2005, 20:19
so if i have all my required courses done, ie, firefighting, sea survival, cpsc frc,pssr and a steam and motor ticket is there any way i can transfer to the navy res and hold my current rank of sgt and work in the e/r where i belong????????????????

Goldie fish
29th March 2005, 20:24
In my experience...

No

Go figure.

Stoker
29th March 2005, 23:20
boforgunner,if you have or hope to have, a 1st or even a 2nd class certificate as a Marine Engineer , why don't you apply for a commission as a Direct entry?. By the way , how do you plan to get the Steam qualifing time? there's not many steamers left.

boforgunner
7th April 2005, 17:54
mobil tankers....have a steam endorsment all ready.

ELVIS
7th April 2005, 18:47
My word, quite a lot looking to transfer.Guess its the place to be..Boforgunner, technically I think you're supposed to drop to corporal if transferring so I as a lonely bod would have no idea what they'd do. On my last patrol I tags along for a few days watches in the engineroom and I have no qualification. The MEO would be happy to have you I'd reckon.
You weren't on a range with the slua by any chance were you?

boforgunner
17th April 2005, 16:22
not yet,.....though im told there a sight to behold....

lefty
17th April 2005, 18:39
I saw them before. We were training on the range and the boys from the slua came along (wasnt much of them), anyway we had to move off elsewhere to train and we could see and hear them firing for what seemed the rest of the day. Seemed to be firing quite a lot for so few people.

Barry
17th April 2005, 22:11
I saw them before. We were training on the range and the boys from the slua came along (wasnt much of them), anyway we had to move off elsewhere to train and we could see and hear them firing for what seemed the rest of the day. Seemed to be firing quite a lot for so few people.
No, you thought you saw only a few there, but I'm sure that if you check their range records, there were a lot more "there" than you thought :biggrin:

HavocIRL
17th April 2005, 22:18
Do the Slua take part in rifle competitions?

bulldemboots!
17th April 2005, 22:21
Do the Slua take part in rifle competitions?

Yes.

Laners
17th April 2005, 22:23
boforgunner,if you have or hope to have, a 1st or even a 2nd class certificate as a Marine Engineer , why don't you apply for a commission as a Direct entry?. By the way , how do you plan to get the Steam qualifing time? there's not many steamers left.
A steaming certificate means a person is qualified to steer a ship . Nothing to do with the propulsion system of a ship.

HavocIRL
17th April 2005, 22:26
Yes.

I know its a stupid question but do they wear DPM's for the shoot or what?

I just can't imagine them showing up on the range in their navy blues.

ELVIS
17th April 2005, 23:15
I know its a stupid question but do they wear DPM's for the shoot or what?

I just can't imagine them showing up on the range in their navy blues.
We do take part in rifle competitions and No.5 coy swept the board this weekend. A team is then assembled for the all army. Shooting is obviously not the slua's main concern so the teams tend not to be all that strong, although we do have a few extremely good shots. Its like asking an FCA soldier to do a damage control test.
Turning up on the range in our navy blues is exactly what we do! :smile: :smile:
We get issued our own combats for a reason and they are a very good dress. Why would we wear DPM's? its not our uniform.
I vaguely remember something about the army trying to get the navy to wear DPM's on the range but I dont think this worked. Not quite sure on the specifics.

ELVIS
17th April 2005, 23:19
No, you thought you saw only a few there, but I'm sure that if you check their range records, there were a lot more "there" than you thought :biggrin:
bullsh*t

macca
18th April 2005, 19:11
I vaguely remember something about the army trying to get the navy to wear DPM's on the range but I dont think this worked. Not quite sure on the specifics.

The NS cadets get issued DPMs when they're up in the Curragh for their initial training phase. Also for NS personnel serving overseas.

lefty
18th April 2005, 19:19
Do navy officers serve overseas?

boforgunner
18th April 2005, 22:07
A steaming certificate means a person is qualified to steer a ship . Nothing to do with the propulsion system of a ship.

for those who know .......or think they know....a steam endorsment on your eng officer of the watch ticket means that your qualified to operate both motor vessels and vessels with steam turbines and boilers as opposed to a standard ticket which only allowes the bearer to operate plant on motor ships.......

why would any self respecting engineer want to be up on the bridge playin ****in race cars with a bunch of windowlickers whose biggest job is counting fire extinguishers......

Shadow
2nd May 2005, 18:43
There is no engineering branch in NSR anymore....only seamen. Although think on patrol they would love to have you there ;)

macca
3rd May 2005, 15:53
There is no engineering branch in NSR anymore....only seamen. Although think on patrol they would love to have you there ;)

Not strictly true. In theory only division now is executive branch and while this is so for all incoming recruits, many current and longer serving members have qualifications in other branchs, in particular comms and mechs. Flashes are still worn and tech pay is still gratefully accepted!

deise boy
14th November 2005, 23:06
Can anyone tell me if there is a process by which you can transfer from the FCA to the slua? In other words do I retain my rank or pay scale or do i have to leave the fca and start all over again in the slua??

P.s. I know they are now called "the irish naval reserve" and "the reserve defence forces" its just clearer this way.

Goldie fish
14th November 2005, 23:18
I think it has been done before. Try the search function.

Joshua
14th November 2005, 23:21
Goldie , thats a terrible thing to say,(Boomer could be looking)

There's a bit in here:http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/board/showthread.php?t=7504

Goldie fish
14th November 2005, 23:25
Can anyone tell me if there is a process by which you can transfer from the FCA to the slua? In other words do I retain my rank or pay scale or do i have to leave the fca and start all over again in the slua??

P.s. I know they are now called "the irish naval reserve" and "the reserve defence forces" its just clearer this way.

Its actually Naval reserve and Army reserve.
Both Branches are part of the Reserve defence forces.

Pity these people don't bother reading the MILLIONS of threads that have discussed this detail ad nauseum.

Joshua
14th November 2005, 23:29
http://bbsnews.net/images/valium.gif :biggrin:

deise boy
15th November 2005, 00:55
Tried the seach and didnt get anything. Also looked at that link but it doesnt answer my question fully. If anyone knows for sure about this please let me know.

Oh and goldyfish, we could play at semantics all day but im not an intellectual snob

Docman
15th November 2005, 02:07

Well, there is a process for the reverse. A SM transfered to a RDF unit and kept his rank....LS to Cpl. I assume the pay stayed pretty much the same. However it did involve a hell of a lot of retraining for him.

hptmurphy
15th November 2005, 10:12
Seeing as the NSR and RDf in waterford...given your user name I reckon thats where you are....why not just nip across the square and ask...they won't bite.....holding rank maybe another story as its a completely different job......butthere is no harm in asking...

ODIN
15th November 2005, 10:14
So somebody else from the 33rd "jumping shit"(no pun intended). Welcome to the club

Hairflick
15th November 2005, 11:52
[QUOTE=deise boy]Can anyone tell me if there is a process by which you can transfer from the FCA to the slua? In other words do I retain my rank or pay scale or do i have to leave the fca and start all over again in the slua??

Call into any of the Unit's and ask for recruiting office, 'we don't bite' as quoted above is true.......

Dublin & Cork Tuesday Nights
Waterford & Limerick Wednesday Nights

Hairflick
15th November 2005, 11:59
[QUOTE=deise boy]
In other words do I retain my rank or pay scale or do i have to leave the fca and start all over again in the slua??

More than likely you won't retain your rank, unless your qualified in
'DFCC'
'SSC'
'Basic Seamanship Course'
just to mention a few.

Any way an Army Reserve private does a different job than a Naval Reserve Seaman, "there's no bushes to hide behind on board ship"

Pay scales are the same in the reserves no matter what rank you are, except if your on a tech's scale.

hptmurphy
16th November 2005, 09:58
But anybody handy at camoflage and concealment will always find some where to hide..

Steamy Window
16th November 2005, 10:14
So somebody else from the 33rd "jumping shit"(no pun intended). Welcome to the club

Dragging this thread horribly off course...but is there a mini exodus? And if so, why?

edited for crap grammar

Hairflick
16th November 2005, 10:50
more flexible in training dates... Nicer Uniform..... more pay.... not just marching and shooting...overseas deployment already...etc etc

Hairflick
16th November 2005, 10:51
true for you murph

deise boy
16th November 2005, 11:47
Im only thinking about jumping ship! The reasons are simple;
1. I have the opportunity because i live in waterford which has a slua base
2. I am still young and i want to try something new
3. The FCA is not going to change because it has a different name and a few new battalions, its still going to be frustrating.

So i have served my few years and now im looking to move on!!

hptmurphy
16th November 2005, 12:37
Yeah go for..it has probably the best officer corps at the moment and the XO is a former Slua guy and gave 12 years as a regular naval officer ...great guy...so in my opinion they will be a very progressive unit in the future,

Flick.....hiding was atrait learned well....but I was only an apprentice to some of those in the Army...although my training has served me well in the RDF..I can disguise my self as a soldier and getaway with it.

Back to the subject...the NSR has already been integrated now all they need to do is reinforce the level of training to include gunnery etc....

happenin
16th November 2005, 12:47
Im only thinking about jumping ship

I'm guessing that would be frowned upon in the NSR.:biggrin:

Hairflick
16th November 2005, 14:09
it's not often compliments are passed out around here, so A BIG THANKS goes to you murph, we do try our best in the NSR, yeah the Officers are not a bad bunch

Kieran
24th November 2005, 16:38
I was told that although you have to go trough all the basic stuff again you'll keep your current rates of pay for your fca rank. Which is nice

DeV
24th November 2005, 21:09
DFR R.5

(1) The General Officer Commanding the Brigade or the Flag Officer Commanding the Naval Service may reduce a non-commissioned officer to any lower non-commissioned rank-

(2) A non-commissioned officer who applies to be reassigned from one Service Corps of the Army Reserve to another or from the Army Reserve to the Naval Service Reserve and consents to reduction in rank as a condition of such reassignment

(a) may be reduced by the OIC Records & Data Management to such lower non-commissioned rank, corresponding to a non-commissioned rank in which there is a vacancy in the Establishments, as the OIC Records & Data Management may determine, and

(b) shall, unless they has passed all the qualifying tests laid down for the non-commissioned rank corresponding to his non-commissioned army rank and there is a vacancy in the Establishments in such non-commissioned rank, be reduced

(i) to the non-commissioned army rank corresponding to a non-commissioned naval rank for which they have passed all the qualifying tests and in which there is a vacancy in the Establishments of Naval Service Reserve;

(ii) if they have not passed the qualifying tests for the rank of Leading Seaman in Naval Service Reserve to the rank of Private.

(3) Where a non-commissioned officer is transferred from one service corps to another at their own request they may be reduced to the next lower non-commissioned army rank by the General Officer Commanding the Brigade.

(4) A non-commissioned officer reduced to the rank of Private or Seaman, otherwise than under subparagraph (2) hereof, shall -

(a) be graded Private Two Star or Seaman Second Class as appropriate if, being in the Technician Class, the appropriate tests passed by they do not entitle them to the higher grade; or

(b) be graded Private Three Star or Seaman First Class in any other case.

(5) Where a non-commissioned officer is transferred from one reserve class to another at their own request they may be reduced to the next lower non-commissioned army rank by the General Officer Commanding the Brigade or the Flag Officer Commanding the Naval Service .

hptmurphy
24th November 2005, 23:17
Actulaly its all bollocks it has been proved in the army and navy...transfer..hold your rank..we'll find you a job......I can quote several instances..one being the editor of An Cosantoir...don't accept anything other than your rank...you have earned it...just need to redirect your training....

Sluggie
24th November 2005, 23:35
Did you have second thoughts about that party when you sobered up Murph? :smile:

hptmurphy
25th November 2005, 22:34
nope party still stands like the idea....but then again...who would be bothered turning up....given the socila calender that has been organised for me by the other half...doubt if I could even make it my self...think I'll save up for my 40th birthday party instead...

Kieran
29th November 2005, 15:34
Murph does that mean if I transfered id go in as an A/S?

hptmurphy
29th November 2005, 21:27
depends on your current rank.....there is usually a probationary period as well

Kieran
30th November 2005, 16:34
3 star to A/S. How long about?

posiedon
29th December 2005, 11:28
u can transfer,its difficult and may not even happen.
you wii drop a rank.period.
if u think u wont,someone is misinforming u,
if u manage to transfer without dropping back,someone's pulled some strings
and it'll make ur acceptance all that much harder.

all proven facts..........

Command and conquer
12th June 2007, 04:31
Im looking to transfer into the nsr,im holding the rank of Cpl at the mo, anyone know if i get to keep my rank??or do i have to go in as a recuirt??

techman1
12th June 2007, 12:13
You drop one rank, come in as an Able Seamen. Recommend you do it quickly so you can avail of courses been run in July. These will qualify you for Annual training at Sea and also they are required for further promotion. Where are you from?

HavocIRL
12th June 2007, 18:06
Why you want to transfer if you don't mind me asking?