Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish troops to deploy to help in tsunami disaster ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish troops to deploy to help in tsunami disaster ?

There has been increased calls for 1,000 Irish troops to be sent to help out in the tsunami disaster. The army officers organistion RACO says we can deploy without any triple lock.

I wonder is this likely ?

There has been increased calls for 1,000 Irish troops to be sent to help out in the tsunami disaster.
    If that number was sent, would this not severely stretch the PDF as a whole, with
    other current overseas committments ongoing?
    If this is seriously being considered (the number involved), then could
    anyone here see RDF members being called up for security duties, etc?

The army officers organistion RACO says we can deploy without any triple lock.
    I wonder is this likely ?
    I would very much doubt it. I was under the impression that any overseas
    mission involving memebers of the Irish Defence Forces had to pass the "triple lock"
    criteria, as it were. The only way this could change would be with a Dail vote....
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 5 January 2005, 01:36.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by andy
      There has been increased calls for 1,000 Irish troops to be sent to help out in the tsunami disaster.
      I doubt we could send 100 troops never mind 1000.

Comment

aa
        Last edited by Troddyn; 24 November 2005, 12:58.

Comment

sorry, the numbers are like 50 *_*

Comment

Government asked to send troops to Asia
            04/01/2005 - 15:41:19

The Government has been asked to deploy Irish troops on a mercy mission to the tsunami disaster region.

It has been claimed that their logistical expertise could make a difference.

However, Concern chief executive Tom Arnold has said it should be left to the countries involved or the United Nations to make a request.

“There is clearly a need for major logistical support in these countries, but that demand really has to come from the counties themselves and must come from a co-ordinated approach from the United Nations," he said.

“If it does come, I believe the Irish Government will look favourably on it.”

Comment

Simple, mobilise as many volunteers (PDF + RDF) as possible into a battalion sized force and send them over coordinated under a charity like GOAL to one destination.
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus
                Simple, mobilise as many volunteers (PDF + RDF) as possible into a battalion sized force and send them over coordinated under a charity like GOAL to one destination.
                You want to put them under John O' Shea???!!!

First of all, it is not as simple as that and secondly John O' Shea would likely use them to topple the Burmese Government.

That man, like most Irish civies, has little understanding of the military.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea, there wont be any weapons and this kind of op is well suited to the RDF

Comment

Originally posted by Docman
                    You want to put them under John O' Shea???!!!

First of all, it is not as simple as that and secondly John O' Shea would likely use them to topple the Burmese Government.

That man, like most Irish civies, has little understanding of the military.
                    I me John O'Shea while serving in Somalia 93, and believe me he has a good understanding of how the Defence Forces work. Sadly in the end we had to bail out the GOAL team in Biadoa as their armed guard was getting restless. I distinctly remember the GOAL team leader "a civie" running out the gate of their compound with was easily a couple of hundred thousand US Dollars rolled up in his t-shirt for safety. John called personally to see and thank us and stayed in our camp for a couple of days.
                    Glaine ár gcroí
                    Neart ár ngéag
                    Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Comment

How many volunteers are you going to get to go to a disaster area, full of dead bodies and the associated diseases, with no weapons and little training, probably not get paid for it, and when you come back you probably won't have a job any more?

Comment

I would go.
                        If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Of course the troops would have to be armed.

But our forces can just about support one BN overseas, if a PDF BN were sent to the area, then no question some elements of the reserve would have to be activated to fill the gap back home.

And I don't think the Gov wants to activate the reserve yet, not without the re-org completed anyway.
                          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

If anyone here has ever investigated doing aid work, it is not quite as simple as that. Aid Agencies like Red Cross etc do not take Joe Soap off the street for their work- the only person I know even indirectly who is involved in aid work is a qualified nurse with a Masters degree in crisis management.

Add to that the fact that there are plenty of troops in the area as it stands- this is not the third world.

A much better use of resourcs would be to put Aer Lingus's fleet at the disposal of the aid agencies- most aircraft are easily convertible to cargo role-and get the vital materials in the region ASAP.

Suggesting the DF send anything other than helis is using the event for PR- and the helis the DF has aren't up to the task.
                            Take these men and women for your example.
                            Like them, remember that posterity can only
                            be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                            possession of those who have the
                            courage to defend it.
                            Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                            If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

A much better use of resourcs would be to put Aer Lingus's fleet at the disposal of the aid agencies- most aircraft are easily convertible to cargo role-and get the vital materials in the region ASAP.
                              Considering there are aircraft traffic jams at the airports in the region, it would seem shortage of fixed wing aircraft is not an issue. Helicopters on the other hand seem to be in particular demand in Indonesia, to distribute aid to inaccessible locations.

Comment

Working...
                              X