NS ability to track all trawlers by SAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS ability to track all trawlers by SAT

I seen today in one of the Sunday papers, that the NS is now able to track all trawlers larger than 15mts by SAT. Does this mean that the CASA are no longer required? Or will the CASA still be needed to take snaps of the offending trawlers?
    "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

I thought this has been the case for the last few years....What about those under 15m?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It has.. GMDSS and all that. Its illegal for trawlers to switch the transponder setup off or introduce local errors in the sending equipment. Not sure if everyone is in 100% compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by tashkugan
        It has.. GMDSS and all that. Its illegal for trawlers to switch the transponder setup off or introduce local errors in the sending equipment. Not sure if everyone is in 100% compliance.
        So the NS has the capacity to track all vessells.....once the illegal fishers etc keep their transponder turned on?

Fine for turning off transponder as opposed to illegal fishing, anyone?
        Take these men and women for your example.
        Like them, remember that posterity can only
        be for the free; that freedom is the sure
        possession of those who have the
        courage to defend it.
        Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
        If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

they still need to check quotas etc. the system show trawlers fishing within certain areas (irish box for one) and but doesn't indicate if they have exceeded their fish quota. its a very neat system.

Comment

The point has been made, a trawler without a transponder can be picked up by the Casa, this is a red flag and a PV can go to investigate.
            A trawler under 15m is unlikely to make trips from spain to fish here, requiring a trawler under 15m to have one is an extra financial burden making it less likely to pay.

GMDSS is completley separate to these transponders.
            A vessel can turn off their transponder if they phone the FMC first to advise why they need to, e.g. generator failure or repair while alongside. If the transponder is turned off without permission or malfunctions asymptomatically the odds of a boarding soar.

It also allows the NS to track a trawler over the course of a fishing trip, so a list of trawlers that have been fishing for (e.g.) >12 days and are making way for spain can be generated and faxed to a ship. The converse is also true, The NS can avoid boarding vessels 2 days out of La Coruna.
            No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
            No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

GMDSS is completely different true - thanks VA. Excellent system the NS have in place. I know one of the guys who spec'd out the initial NS system in the late 80s.

Comment

Working...
              X