Unimog ARV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unimog ARV

You may find it interesting that at http://www.network54.com/Forum/messa...eid=1107250642 (part of the Overvalwagen forum) there is a lot of information about the Unimog armoured car, which was in service with the Irish army. Hopefully some people from this forum do know more about this very rare vehicle and could share their knowledge with others. Are the cavalry troopers who were using the Unimogs here?

Anyway I have a question (it cannot be denied that it was me who had started that Unimog thread on the Overvalwagen forum): What crew did the Unimog have?

There are some discrepancies between sources regarding the issue. According to http://www.geocities.com/irisharmore...SH_Unimog.html the crew constisted of two (driver and gunner) plus four troops (six altogether), whereas Karl Martin in his book "Irish Army Vehicles - Transport & Armour since 1922" says the crew was "5/6".

Pictures of the Unimog on display at a museum that I have do not show the vehicle's interior clearly enough, although it seems that probably the seating-arrangement was as follows: the driver at the front and four troops sitting in two rows back to back, which makes the five-man crew. Take a look:

Best regards,
    Piotr

I understand the gunner stood between the passenger seats,and had no seat of his own as such. Does that answer your question? I saw them shortly after they were retired in the Curragh around 1991.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Out of eleven unimogs delivered ..most of them ended up with 3 cav in clonmel . And despite the condition they were delivered in they were returned to usable staus...much to the chagrin of the army.

given my enquiries to the former operators ..these machines were a dister to operate.

1. they were top heavy and had their road and off road speeds limited far below their actual capabilities for safety reasons.

2. their braking capabilities were non existent

3. the entry doors were cumbersome and opened outward and upward ..and a sudden gust of wind could result in the person entering or exiting being struck by a fair lump of steel.

4, given the limited dismountable element capabilities ... the commitmetn to crew was too big ...crew of three ..max deployment four!

5. ther ewas not self sustaining armament. yes there was a sheild to hide a MAG behind but the gunner had little defence ...no seating ..and no comms with the crew.

Conclusion ..these were a nightmare and should never have been purchased...a complete waste of money...

The Best value the Cav got from them was when one was eventually cut up and parts of its plating were used for 'falling plates'

And if anybody has issue with this take it up with the guy who made them servicable on their redeployment...he unlike the vehicles is still in service!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I was in 3rd Cav when they had the Unimogs. The crew was driver, gunner and 4 dismountables in back, two on each side, back to back. They were difficult to dismount from. The shield mount was for a .3 Browning, which we didn't have, until they made up a mount for the Bren about 1982. The steering was also brilliant, the steering column went back between the driver's legs.

One of my cousins drove them in 1st Cav (or 1st Motor Sqdn back then) in the early 70s. He loved them.
        Last edited by Groundhog; 12 February 2005, 12:11.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

If you like to see photos of the Unimog in service with mercenaries in the Congo, please visit http://www.network54.com/Forum/messa...eid=1112187722. The pictures have just appeared over there.

Piotr
          Last edited by Petrus; 4 April 2005, 08:33.

Comment

yep, they were very unsafe as I remember, I seem to recall they were prone to overturn with an uncomfortable outcome for the standing gunner. I left 2000 at that time one Unimog (was in Coolmoney Camp(beside the fuel dump).Prob intention to tow it up the range and use it as a target.

Comment

speaking of targets.
              Attached Files

Comment

Anyone got a chequebook handy? They must be dirt cheap...

Speaking of UNIMOGs, I remember the Range Wardens using a UNIMOG truck last time I was in the Glen. Painted Camoflage yellow....

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                  Anyone got a chequebook handy? They must be dirt cheap...

Speaking of UNIMOGs, I remember the Range Wardens using a UNIMOG truck last time I was in the Glen. Painted Camoflage yellow....
                  Aye, a more modern version, Goldie. And it's cross country capabilities are quite
                  impressive...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Well it does have 4 massive tractor tyres...

Comment

Thats the truck....even the ESB use them..now try the army version...Tin can on stilts with a peashooter....like cycling a unicycle with a shit load of drink while wearing a suit ofarmor..and carrying a bren.

The one in Coolmooney was hidden on the approach road with some description of Timoney. Get two for the price of one....and you won't even need the paint given the amount of moss on them.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

UNIMOG trucks would be a good investment, great for the old bundu bashing on bush safaris or mud slogging.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Problem with Unimog trucks is that there is no standard version. Each model is built to the customers requirements,at factory. This is unlike most other military trucks,which arrive here as a standard cab and chassis and get the body built and designed locally.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                            Tin can on stilts with a peashooter....like cycling a unicycle with a shit load of drink while wearing a suit ofarmor..and carrying a bren.
                            Christ I spat coffee all over the place when I read that. Murph, you're a bastard! A funny one, that is...
                            Meh.

Comment

Kildare Co Council have Unimog truck for sale if anybody is interested ?
                              It even has a pto and hydraulic arms on the back like a tractor !
                              IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Working...
                              X