ESS News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESS News

I got this press release from ESS on the UK's purchase of some of their products & thought I'd post it. Not only is ESS the standard issue goggle for US & Australian troops in Iraq & Afghanistan, now it is the British military's choice for ballistic eyewear:

21 October 2004
    Bicester, United Kingdom
    The British MOD (Defense Clothing Integrated Project Team [DCIPT]) today announced a large scale contract award for military goggles and eyeshields to Eye Safety Systems, Inc. (ESS) of Sun Valley, Idaho USA, via their UK agent, EPS UK Ltd. The Contract Award Notice cited “technical merit, quality, delivery date, price, and cost effectiveness” as the primary criteria for selecting the ESS Advancer V12TM goggle and the ESS ICE 2.4TM eyeshield. Initial requirements total 26,519 units of each product, supplied with “smoke, clear and amber lenses for usages in variable light situations.”

DCIPT carefully evaluated eyewear products over the last year. ESS was the only supplier to offer the required combination of helmet integration, impact protection, anti-fog technology, and Rx compatibility, among other features. The ESS Advancer V12TM will be the first goggle ever specifically designed for and widely issued to British soldiers. The initial orders are expected to supply British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Permanent NATO stock numbers have been issued. UK soldier modernization project teams (FIST) and Urban Warfare are also evaluating the ESS eye protection systems. All parties are excited about the rapid advancement in soldier safety and operational effectiveness.

Model NATO Stock Number
    ESS ICE 2.4 eyeshield 8465-99-318-7183
    Clear replacement lens 8465-99-318-7184
    Amber replacement lens 8465-99-318-7185
    Smoke gray replacement lens 8465-99-318-7186
    ESS Advancer V12 goggle 8465-99-318-7187
    Clear replacement lenses 8465-99-318-7188
    Amber replacement lenses 8465-99-318-7189
    Smoke gray replacement lenses 8465-99-318-7190
    ESS ICE 2.4 & Advancer V12 Rx Insert 8465-99-318-7191

Contact Info: Connor J. Duncan
    International Sales Manager
    cd@essgoggles.com
    +1.208.726.4072

Eye Safety Systems, Inc. (ESS) creates protective eyewear intended for military, firefighting, and law enforcement personnel. ESS manufactures the only commercial goggles authorized for combat use by the US Army, and has the leading market share of goggles sold in the US firefighting market. ESS eyewear is headquartered in Sun Valley,
    Idaho USA and sold in over 50 countries.
    Tha Advancer goggle they're talking about is not available for sale yet, so I don't know what it's like exactly. I have been told it's a lot like the Land Ops.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

ESS Testimonials

I was also sent the following testimonials:

“The story behind my ESS goggles is as follows… On 07 April 2003, 1430hrs vic. Baghdad (obj. MOE), our vehicle took a direct hit from an overlooked RPG team to our left flank, destroying our TOW missile launcher and my Bradley commander’s hatch. I was hit in my neck, left shoulder and face with shrapnel, but thanks to my ESS goggles, my eyesight is still intact and no shrapnel penetrated my ESS goggle lenses at all. These goggles still have the shrapnel in the lens! I fought through the shrapnel and continued to bring the fight to the enemy. I believe that if the shrapnel would have hit my eyes that would have taken me and my crew out of a serious and historical fight that helped in the fall of the Saddam regime. Thank You Very Much for your wonderful product! I'm a believer in your product, protecting eyes ONE BATTLE AT A TIME.” SFC Morales, ACO 3rd BN 15th IN
    SFC Morales, Aco 3rd BN 15th IN

Dear ESS, I am writing this letter to inform and thank you for the high quality of your eyewear. I am currently stationed in the Middle East as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I am the gunner on top of our HMMV and quality eye protection is of the utmost highest regard among us. A few days ago, I had a malfunction on my M2 caliber .50 machine gun. A round cooked off and exploded in the bolt assembly. Due to the placement of my head most of the explosion was taken by the eye protection on my face. If not for the ESS glasses that I was wearing at the time, I would have lost my eyesight indefinitely. The only damage that occurred was a few small cuts on my face. Thank you.
    SPC Jared Frenke

And here's a pic of a goggle after taking a shotgun blast from 35 feet:

"The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Here's the ESS Advancer, as chosen by the UK armed forces. They'll be in the store in the new year.

Full info available on http://www.essgoggles.com/index.html

Comment

They're on issue to certain units of the DF......................OSOK

Comment

wow ! i never knew ESS could be that good. I just thought they kept the sand out of your eyes. An excellent peice of kit !!

Comment

I have a pair of the ESS shades on sale in the store. They are great for when on the range. If you have the sun in your eyes whip out the shades with dark lens, or when firing the GPMG use the clear lens so you don't get crap in your eyes. However if you wear them doing tactics they fog up. I wore them for a fighting patrol one night [didn't want twigs in the eyes] and its difficult enough to see at night, its harder wearing foggy glasses.

Does this V12 go anyway to prevent fogging?

Also if you have bought the ESS shades here, remove the neckstrap on it, it'll tangle with the steyr strap and at night its akward with twisted straps its worse.
            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

The V12 has adustable lenses, the sides can be opened to allow ventilation or closed to keep out shite.

Try rubbing washing-up liquid into the inside of the lens & wiaping it off with a bit of paper towel, it stops the visor on my bike helmet from fogging up. A PDF officer I know told me about it & he swears by it, as does a paintballing mate.

Someone once told me you could do the same with bog-standard toothpaste (not gel or gritty bi-carb stuff). I've never tried it though.

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
                Try rubbing washing-up liquid into the inside of the lens & wiaping it off with a bit of paper towel, it stops the visor on my bike helmet from fogging up. A PDF officer I know told me about it & he swears by it, as does a paintballing mate.
                Just did this with my ESS land ops. Stands up very well to attempts to fog it up using breath, but I'm not sure how it'd stand up after a couple of trips through a river......

Comment

Goggles are going to steam up no matter what you do, treating them should only increase the time it takes for them to fog up & make it easier for you to de-fog them. There's special anti-fog sprays & wipes you can buy, but I've been told by people who've tried them that the difference between this stuff & washing-up liquid is marginal.

If they fog up, take them off your eyes for a minute (either put them up on your helmet or around your neck) this should sort them out.

Comment

On the ESS site there is a set of goggles that come complete with an extract fan to prevent condensation....

Comment

From what I've seen they work very well.

Comment

yeah, I was issued the advancer goggles and a pair of the shades but the sandstorms don't start until Feb and it has'nt been sunny enough yet for the shades so I have'nt had a chance to use either yet?

Comment

Both ARW & NS personnel (the boarding party display) were wearing ESS goggles during the Easter parade. Anyone who saw Six One yesterday (Goldie posted a link in News) might also have noticed the Lt. & Sgt. in the opening sequence with ESS goggles on their helmets.

Comment

I noticed the ARW lads had the laser lens in their goggles which seems a bit odd.

Comment

The ARW would be using laser equipment more than the average soldier, so having the protective lenses makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X