Tralee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tralee

Any info on the Royal Munster Fusilier barracks in Tralee circa 1914 and also the Tralee Military cemetery about the same time.Any info appreciated.Regards Steve

Dear Groundhog. Thanks for your reply.I'm interested in the RMF and the Tralee Military Cemetery because my wife's Great Grandfather is buried there.He is Private John Guerins 5189 (not 51899 as listed on the site) Royal Munster Fusiliers and he apparently died "at home" we believe in the barracks at Tralee.We visited the N.A. and were lucky enough to find some of his stuff there,however these things never give a bigger picture of what had happened in Tralee.He had been in Burma and South Africa,and his attestation states he was in the Leinster Regiment / The Waterford Regiment,and there is a reference to Athlone Station and various other service numbers which we are in the process of trying to unravel.We would like to try and find out why he is buried in Tralee,although we do know that N.O.K. were given options to bury in the Barracks town or in his home town( Dungarvan) but the archive records don't actually give any records of his passing,so we don't know if was natural causes or any thing possibly army related.
    Do you or any other forum members know if there any records relating to the Depot at Tralee or is there any other way to approach this situation? We did visit Tralee last year so at least we are lucky enough to know where he is.Any info on the Cork Militia and subsequent integration into the RMF also greatly appreciated. Regards Steve.

Comment

It seems that UK military burial records prior to 1914 are surprisingly poor,unless the subject died during conflict.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

John Guerins info is on James O'Sullivans wonderful website about the RMF, if you e mail me, I will give you the link

Cagney

Comment

Originally posted by Boreenatra
          Do you or any other forum members know if there any records relating to the Depot at Tralee or is there any other way to approach this situation?
          Did you get his death certificate from Civil Records? And his service record may have survived in the National Archives in London. Some of the Burnt Records have been resurrected.
          sigpic
          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
          My favourite moment was when the
          Originally posted by hedgehog
          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
          X