Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halt on the march

Hi,

I'm going on my 2* course at easter and I want to practice my footdrill. Whats the story with the stop on the march, I can't remember it from last year and I want to have a clue when I turn up.
    Cheers

how about turning up for training in the meantime?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I want to know it for training.

Comment

Stad

Maybe you shouldn't become a 2* if you don't know BASIC foot drill.
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

basically you stop
          do you need it broken down further
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Point 2.
            Stop the same time as everyone else.

Comment

My God! the young fella only asked a simple question and all ye seasoned 'nam vets' have to give a smart arse answer.
              the order varies from whoever gives it. Some give stad on the right foot(how I was thought), you take a pace with your left and then stop with your right foot coming down to form the position of attention.
              if its given on the left foot, take an extra pace with your right and do the same thing as before.

Comment

Would you send an O sea to Haulbowline if he couldnt march?

Comment

This board is not the place to learn foot drill, you do that on the square. You'd be better off saying it to one of your instructors, who's to say you'd interperet any instructions posted here correctly?
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

no kermit you stop on the second pace and bring the right foot firmly down to the position of attention.

as in ....left foot down...stad.....right foot down is one...left foot down is two and right foot is brought up to the left foot leaving you at the position of attention....three distinct movements but only two paces, stopping on the second
                    Last edited by jpb; 12 March 2005, 11:38.

Comment

From what I've heard, there are 2 versions of the stad:
                      Long stad- given on the left, 2 check paces, bring right foot down, timing is "haon haon do"

Short stad - given on right, 1 check pace, bring right foot down, timing is "haon do"

I prefer the short stad myself.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                        Barry: that's if the NCO ****s up and gives it on the wrong foot
                        In my unit we use the short stad exclusively. If there's a fookup, it's when it's given on the left.

Comment

Barry you and your entire unit are out of step with the entire Defence Forces....there is only one drill manual and one way to stop.
                          order is given as left foot hits the ground ....two check paces and finish at the position of attention.
                          As for the person asking the question ...you should never have got out of recruits without having that firmly implanted in your brain
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

As for the person asking the question ...you should never have got out of recruits without having that firmly implanted in your brain
                            I didn't pass out without knowing it, but I haven't worn a uniorm since summer due to a semester with Erasmus abroad and I want to practice again for 2* camp. Thanks to the guys for clearing it up, for those of you too stuck up to give me anything but a smart answer, you can look at yourselves and see why so many people won't join the RDF for fear of having to deal with bitter little Hitlers with 2 stripes and no lives.

For the rest of you, the board is excellent, keep it up!

Comment

HEAR HEAR! goldeneye and slug!
                              Some of these guys forget they were recruits once too.....

Comment

Working...
                              X