What does L.E. stand for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does L.E. stand for

What does the L.E in L.E Deidre, Emer, Niamh etc...
    I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

L.E.

"Long Eireannach" = "Irish Ship" (or boat, depending on your Irish).
    Same idea as USS (United States Ship) or HMS (Her Majesty's Ship).

Comment

Thanks

WC
      I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Meaning of L.É.

Hello, I was just curious as to what L.É. stands for in the ship names. I've looked around the web, and cant seem to find it. Any reply is much appreciated!

Comment

that means Irish Vessel in case your Irish isnt too hot.
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

No, I understood Thanks to you both!

Comment

And isn't Long an irregular noun, with the plural being Lingus - hence Aer Lingus?
              www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

Originally posted by Dublinmick
                And isn't Long an irregular noun, with the plural being Lingus - hence Aer Lingus?
                Lingus is a latinisation of "loingheas".

Comment

Originally posted by Dublinmick
                  Thought the plural of long was loing, but I may be wrong.... (Frantically Googling for an
                  Irish-English/English-Irish dictionary)
                  ... have discovered that it's longa

See Here
                  Last edited by Truck Driver; 7 December 2004, 06:21.
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

If I recall correctly, "Lingus" is "Fleet" as opposed to "vessels"
                    Meh.

Comment

Iong eireanach translates a Irish state ship......and is taken a face value!
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

What does L.E. stand for

Stupid question just came up in conversation between me and a mate

Comment

Use the search function. but i'm a nice person at heart so i did it for you!

I beat joshua to it this time!
                          muwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (evil laugh) :tri: :tri:
                          Last edited by Gasplug; 10 April 2005, 20:16.
                          The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

State ship ! for the non Irish speaking amongst us. Or ship belonging to the state if you like...but this dosen't mean you can turn up looking for the free tour whenever it suits you!
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I do...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X