may 25th 1921

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• may 25th 1921

how do I find info on my grandfather who was involved in May 25th 1921 B. company 2nd battallion, customs house. Later brought to kilmainham gaol and survived (although now deceased). There does not seem to be much to go on in info. from the web at all. all suggestions most appreciated.

The Military Archives in Cathal Brugha Barracks should be able to provide some information, especially seeing you know the unit. Ring first to get an appointment and confirm they can help.

Comment

went there ang found one glass pic - which they kindly developed for me. One before they were loaded onto a truck to be brought away to the gaol. But thats all that can be got it seems. As regards information on names etc. a diary with some other pics of him, it seems almost impossible.

Comment

Some towns had an old IRA association, basically where they could drink and chat of days gone by. Your local museum may be of some help there. I know in Drogheda (Millmount) they have the minutes of the local IRA groups' meetings, this has names of local members, could give some leads
        - just an example.
        "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

most appreciated - he was a dublin man - collins avenue to be axact. will check out drogheda all the same. warm regards.

Comment

Was there a pension handed out to those on active service during the war of independence? I would suppose a justification form would have had to have been filled out by the beneficiaries. Also, did he get the war of independence medal? Again, there must have been a justification form for that. Did he join the LDF during the emergency? I suppose you know war of indepandence veterans had their own battalion? Possibly former colleagues joined up...more leads (?)
            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Try checking Kilmainham Gaol for info.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

yes he got three medals in total - one from the IRA, one for the war of independance and forr from the 'cops'(I think?). He also did get the pension. He did not join the LDF as he was already in the gardai. ps. most appreciated.

re kilmainham - checked it out and they(an duchas) had one picture from a home made box camera smuggled in of his face, but nothing else

Comment

What about records? Have you sought out documentation of his capture & imprisonment?
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Recommend starting with the basics.

Registrar of Borths, Marriages & Deaths. Get his birth cert and death cert, and Marriage cert.

Go to the Probate Office, Smithfield Dublin 7 +353-1-8886000 and ask the switch to put you through for directions), and also www.courts.ie (if he died in the last the years). Obtain a copy of the Grant of Probate/Administration, and Inland Revenue Affidavit, which will tell you who his solicitors were and provide information on property owned.

If he died more than ten years ago, go to the National Archives. Get the same info.

Go to Registry of Deeds, Henrietta Street, Dublin 7, and ask them for help. With his parents name & address and his own (presuming they had property) you should be able to trace every address he had, or most of.

If the executor/administrator is still around and feeling helpful, you should be able to get information from the Revenue Commissioners on tax payments and hence your grandfather's major financial transactions.

Ditto the banks, though their records only go back so far.

Now you have a complete identity set. Take that to the national archives, Military History museum, the colleges.

Smile. Ask reeaally nicely for their help, and you should be able to find out everything there is to know about your grandad and his involvement in the War of Independence.
                    Take these men and women for your example.
                    Like them, remember that posterity can only
                    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                    possession of those who have the
                    courage to defend it.
                    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

cheers lad(ie)s, anyone know exact specific details of may 25th, with names etc included. I havent sought deatails of his capture.I know a lot of the records to that day were destroyed. His name was William Donegan and he died approx 24 years ago. 1980 ish.
                      Last edited by Guest; 15 April 2005, 16:11.

Comment

PM Groundhog. This may be up his alley.

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...&postcount=168

Comment

went to that link - but it only mentions that may 25th occured.
                          thanks all the same,

a chara,
                          oirish

ps how do you purchase from the store
                          Last edited by Guest; 15 April 2005, 18:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua
                            PM Groundhog. This may be up his alley.

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...&postcount=168
                            Along with King & Country, eh Blackadder.

Sorry, parochial ole me concentrates on the Tipperary/ Waterford area. There has to be a local history society where Vol Donegan lived and they inevitably have access to experts.

Try the Bureau of Military History and see did Grandad make a statement in the 30s. A friend of mine got his Grandad's and it was brilliant reading.

Also find out about the local Old IRA commemoration society and contact them.
                            sigpic
                            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                            My favourite moment was when the
                            Originally posted by hedgehog
                            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
                            X