• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commissioning Pennant

Whats the story with this?

Is it ever flown??

If so when??

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Flown from the top of the main mast by all Irish Naval Ships when in Commission .
    The pennant is flown for the first time when the ship has its commissioning cermony to officaly bring it into the Service . The only time the pennant is not flown is when the ship is considered out of commission due to dry docking and anual overhall .
    On the occasion of the retirement of some Naval Ships with historical importance a de commissioning Pennant is flown , the lenght of which is determined by the number of years the ship was in service . I believe L E Deirdre flew one when she was retired .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

So when is it really flown?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
        So when is it really flown?
        24 hours a day when thr ship is in commission .

Comment

As the man says ..all ships in comission at all times...flown at the very top ot the mast....very small and usually tangelled up in everthing else.Before any one goes on a rant its not flown on the halyards.
          Also when in decomissioned status the Jack is not flown at the jackstaff..but the national flag is still flown.

Is the decomissioning pennant anything like the Paying off pennant the Royal Navy use?
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
            As the man says ..all ships in comission at all times...flown at the very top ot the mast....very small and usually tangelled up in everthing else.Before any one goes on a rant its not flown on the halyards.
            Also when in decomissioned status the Jack is not flown at the jackstaff..but the national flag is still flown.

Is the decomissioning pennant anything like the Paying off pennant the Royal Navy use?
            Yes , I was not sure if it was called decommissioning or /paying off pennant.
            I saw a photo of the old Ark Royal when she was being paid off and the pennant went all the way to the stern it was so long .

Comment

Murph I am surprised you never mentioned the Presidental Jack flag .Did you guys fly it on Eithne when you did that Presedental pleasure cruise ? .

Comment

Lads, I'm confused. I have been looking at and photographing naval vessels for many years now and have never seen this flag. The only one I have seen is the second substitute. Can anyone enlighten me? Murf,you have all my ship photos,can you find anything with this flag flying?

Comment

Goldie,

The commissioning pennant was, historicly, the most important flag on the warship as it distinguished a man-of-war from an armed merchantman or privateer.

It is very long and VERY slender. It is quite impractical on a modern ship as it is 99% of the time wraped around the various aeriels and wires etc. However traditions die hardest in navies.

You will only get it in a photo if you go out to photograph it. Somtimes it is so worn from friction against the standing rigging that only the butt of it is left flying. You could change it once a week and it would still always look in rag order.

Comment

I know a man who has the decomissioning pennant from one of the sweepers. It is quite long.

I'll have to find that comissioning pennant.

Comment

Ok Goldie , your mission if you choose to accept it , is to get a close up photo of a commissioning pennant on the main mast of a Naval Service ship , but as mentioned in some other post here the pennant is usualy wrapped around the various antenas and looks like a damp rag .
                      I have gone trough every photo I have to try and find a pic of one visable to no avail .

Comment

the presidential jack is a green thingy and yes itwas flown for paddy hillerys jolly.Its flown at the same halyard as the flag officers...which is a gold star on a blue backround.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

On the Eithne looking at photos and from memory its flown just below the top pair of red mast head lights right at the top of the main mast. its almost invisible because its normally wrapped around something and rarely is seen flying freely...it is there believe me!

Comment

I thought there was also a Presedential Jack flag which was the same as the regular jack except that it has a blue background and flown under the same circumstances as the regular one .
                            Looks like we may need a Mary around here to help us out .

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                              I know a man who has the decomissioning pennant from one of the sweepers. It is quite long.

I'll have to find that comissioning pennant.
                              Then it is probly a Paying Off Pennant which is the same desgine but much longer and usualy the same lenght of the ship, and if it is I dought that it is from one of the sweepers , they where laid up one by one and stripped for spares and
                              I think Banba and Fola went to a breakers yard for scrap and Grainne got towed to Spain to be converted into a floating restaurant.
                              A ship flies the Paying Off Pennant when arriving in port for the last time, and it has already been decided that the ship is being taken out of service , which was the case with L.E. Deridre , the sweepers on the other hand had a less dignified demise.

Comment

Working...
                              X