Firepower Demo Army Day (UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firepower Demo Army Day (UK)

Make a note of this . Every two or four years there is a open day in the Royal School of Artillery , Larkhill , Wilts. UK The last time I heard of it was in 2002, They called it Army Day 2002. In was open to the public there was a smallish entry fee. About 30000 watched the most impressive live firepower demo. The site below has pics and links. Its easy to get to by ferry/car/bus to Holyhead or Fishguard and drive over. Or Ryanair again to Bournemouth and its about 30 miles north.

Its the most amazing demo you would ever see and is very instructional. Get there early and plan on staying the whole day. loads to see. The Brits on the displays gave very good insiders info on the kit when you make your self known as service types.

Last edited by Gunner Who?; 5 May 2005, 05:03.

What date is that on.

Comment

Have no date yet, it costs a fortune in ammunition expenditure. It needs long pre planing you need to contact the RSA to get what year the next one is on.
      Last edited by Gunner Who?; 5 May 2005, 20:47.

Comment

Well the ammo does have an expiration date , so it's either fire it off in a public display and get some good publicity or dump it at sea like we did on Eithne on behalf of the Army.
        Last edited by Laners; 5 May 2005, 23:06.
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Once they contracted a FRA ammo ship to do that job. We drove down to the docks, actually think it was to the NS berth in Dun Laoire, with twenty or more trucks of out of date Tank, Arty and other stuff. It was dumped somewhere off SW Ireland. Such a pity.

Comment

me has a renewed intrest in deep sea diving....
            If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

There is a good account in of the SAS books (Sabre Squadron I think) of the SAS lads being given all the ammo that had been opened or expoced to envirnment and couldn't be shipped home. They went out in to the desert and used up as much as they could and the rest was dumped in the sea...

Comment

surely the ammo would be of better use training recruit gunners rather than being dumped
                There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger
                  surely the ammo would be of better use training recruit gunners rather than being dumped
                  I asked the Army Ordinance Officer who was with us for an ammo dump a similar question , and his reply was that they would rather avoid the wear and tear on the wepons and that dumping it was a better option .
                  I remember seeing a Sea / Gunners class get to fire off a huge pile soon to be expired pirotecnics at the end of their course at the Base rather than dump them .

Comment

It hapened on my Gunners course except some one forgot to inform the harbour masters office and the rescue crowd......interesting phonecalls afterwards no doubt.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                      It hapened on my Gunners course except some one forgot to inform the harbour masters office and the rescue crowd......interesting phonecalls afterwards no doubt.
                      classic
                      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Laners
                        I asked the Army Ordinance Officer who was with us for an ammo dump a similar question , and his reply was that they would rather avoid the wear and tear on the wepons and that dumping it was a better option .
                        I remember seeing a Sea / Gunners class get to fire off a huge pile soon to be expired pirotecnics at the end of their course at the Base rather than dump them .
                        A friend of mine was on this course and stached a bunch of thunder flashes in his pockets.
                        It was a pretty lively around Cobh that weekend . BOOOOMMMM .

Comment

that was smart

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
                            me has a renewed intrest in deep sea diving....
                            Well get out your Admirlty Chart and look for an area S/West of Scotland called Beauforts Dyke ,between the Rhims of Gallaway and Northern Ireland it is marked on charts as an ammo dumping ground and pretty deep also .7 miles long 2 miles wide and 144 fathoms deep at it's deepest .
                            Last edited by Laners; 7 May 2005, 02:05.

Comment

and some of that ammo wanders over this side of the sea too...
                              "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Working...
                              X