Bushmaster to be deployed to Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushmaster to be deployed to Iraq

The Australians are deploying 10 of their brand new Bushmasters to Iraq. Even though the vehicle is not yet in full scale production, ADI are currently ramping up, the decision was made to deploy them.

This should give an interesting comparison between LTVs as represented by the Armored Humvees and the heavier Medium Armoured Vehicle.

The Bushmaster is a license built version of the Timoney MP44.

IAS

I dont really see much dfference between deploying the bushmaster to Iraq and the use of other WAPCs other than the Bushmaster having big windows but the fitting of Remote weapons stations to more conventional "closed down" apcs like the LAV series could well nullify that advantage.

That said its an interesting vehicle experiment, my understanding of the Bushmaster has always been that it was designed for long range mobility in wilderness areas as opposed to Urban patrol work.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I'm certainly no tank/AFV nut, like somepeople on the board, but I was pondering.....

Would the armored RUC Land Rovers (or some similar version) be a suitable vehicle for Iraq urban operations? Obviously they are not invincible, and I'm sure they're not RPG-proof, but they worked out pretty well for the RUC for a long time.

Just a thought. I was wondering what everyone else's opinion was. I've got some thoughts on it, but let's see what everyone else thinks

Later.
      No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

In an environment where anything can explode at you at any time, I think active armour is called for.
        Take these men and women for your example.
        Like them, remember that posterity can only
        be for the free; that freedom is the sure
        possession of those who have the
        courage to defend it.
        Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
        If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

I think active armour is called for
          If you are referring to ERA, its not /exactly/ kind to supporting troops.

I seem to remember seeing armoured landies in Iraq (on telly obviously); either way, they'd make sense. A lot of vehicles aren't rpg 'proof', and they're still in service there, the land rover is proven, reliable, in service and relatively comfortable.

I'd still prefer any of the competitors in the Irish Armies LTV programme though.

Comment

Originally posted by strummer
            I'm certainly no tank/AFV nut, like somepeople on the board, but I was pondering.....

Would the armored RUC Land Rovers (or some similar version) be a suitable vehicle for Iraq urban operations? Obviously they are not invincible, and I'm sure they're not RPG-proof, but they worked out pretty well for the RUC for a long time.

Just a thought. I was wondering what everyone else's opinion was. I've got some thoughts on it, but let's see what everyone else thinks

Later.
            There are a whole raft of suitable vehicles being sold off by the MOD not just straight up Landrovers with armour plating but Various Alvis, Tenix, Hotspur and Shortlands Land rover chassis based vehicles with turrets and extra armour.

The Bushmaster could signal something of a comeback for the 4x4 APC though.
            Last edited by Come-quickly; 6 May 2005, 17:49.
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Active armour doesn't do you very much good against roadside bombs. It's really only an RPG-defeater in Iraq, and the same job can also be done by screens.

NTM
              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

$%^&
                Last edited by Pod; 14 May 2005, 22:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly
                  I dont really see much dfference between deploying the bushmaster to Iraq and the use of other WAPCs other than the Bushmaster having big windows but the fitting of Remote weapons stations to more conventional "closed down" apcs like the LAV series could well nullify that advantage.

That said its an interesting vehicle experiment, my understanding of the Bushmaster has always been that it was designed for long range mobility in wilderness areas as opposed to Urban patrol work.
                  You are correct, also it is not an APC so the survivability thing is even more of an issue. It was only ever meant to be a mine protected, more comfortable, (s)lightly armoured truck (with bucket seats, 5 point harnesses and water cooler,) to replace particularly the Unimogs and LR used by the Diggers in places like the Northern Territory. which is not known for its conurbations.

Comment

Working...
                  X