Blue Helmeted Babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Helmeted Babies

Apparrently 10% of UN soldiers in Liberia leave a child behind when they finish their tours. There are orphanages set up for these kids, and local doctors are on a contraception campaign, according to the economis from a couple of weeks ago.

Any takers?
    Take these men and women for your example.
    Like them, remember that posterity can only
    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
    possession of those who have the
    courage to defend it.
    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

where did you get that from?
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

I'm guessing that 10% is of all the UN contingent, not just the innocent lads from the Emerald Isle. There's plenty of armies in UNMIL not noted for their professionalism Nigeria.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al
        where did you get that from?
        A copy of the Economist from the end of April, I think. A recent one.

YJ, correct, 10% of the entire UN force, not the Irish contingent.
        Take these men and women for your example.
        Like them, remember that posterity can only
        be for the free; that freedom is the sure
        possession of those who have the
        courage to defend it.
        Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
        If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

found it...

THE UNECO children's centre looks like any other Liberian school. Its pupils wear smartish uniforms and are eager, after 14 years of civil war and not much schooling, to learn. What is unusual is that every child at UNECO has been fathered by a foreign peacekeeper and then abandoned. The centre was founded by Dr Abraham Cole, a local teacher, “to show our gratitude to peacekeepers by taking care of their children.”

Despite its name, the school receives no UN support besides food from the World Food Programme. Most of the 136 children at UNECO and a similar centre further north were conceived during the 1990s, when both the UN and Liberia's West African neighbours sent troops to Liberia. The number of abandoned babies is now set to surge, however. For the past 18 months, Liberia has hosted one of the largest and most successful UN peacekeeping missions, whose 15,000 blue helmets have now been around long enough to make more babies. A UN staffer said he expected 1,500 UN babies by the end of next year.

The UN has peacekeeping operations in Congo and Liberia. The United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services posts a report on the MONUC scandal in Congo. The UN’s News Centre announces Jordan’s UN ambassador’s findings (see also the full report).

These children are not orphans. Their fathers are mostly alive, but have finished their tour of duty and gone home, often to waiting wives. Their Liberian mothers abandon them either because they are poor, or because they have married a Liberian man who does not want a half-Nigerian child in his home.

In a broken state like Liberia, where 80% of the population live on less than 50 cents a day and women can be seduced by the promise of a mobile-phone scratch card, it is not easy to keep well-paid soldiers chaste. But it would be nice if the UN tried a bit harder. After a scandal in Congo last year, when Moroccan UN peacekeepers were charged with raping 13-year-olds, Kofi Annan, the UN secretary-general, proclaimed a policy of “zero tolerance” for sexual exploitation. A report by Jordan's UN ambassador called for deductions from absentee fathers' salaries and courts martial in the country where any sexual offence takes place. But in practice, erring peacekeepers are rarely punished. Absentee fathers, rapists and even murderers simply disappear back home.

Some UN contingents in Liberia ban their members from bars. Some offer distractions such as gyms and movies, but the monthly budget for fun is only $8 per peacekeeper, and the thrills of table-tennis must eventually pall.

About 8% of Liberian adults are estimated to be infected with HIV, though the true figure may be higher—the recent civil war brought an epidemic of rape. Dr Cole visits barracks to persuade peacekeepers and their “camp girlfriends” to use condoms (the UN issues five per man per week), but it is not an easy task. Soldiers are inured to risk. And though Dr Cole has written to the UN asking for help with his school, he has yet to receive a reply.
          You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Kinda painting the whole force with the same brush there..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

[QUOTE=Big Al]found it...

About 8% of Liberian adults are estimated to be infected with HIV, though the true figure may be higher—the recent civil war brought an epidemic of rape. Dr Cole visits barracks to persuade peacekeepers and their “camp girlfriends” to use condoms (the UN issues five per man per week), but it is not an easy task.
              QUOTE]

Immediate Action Drill " I'm going in cover me"

Comment

found it...

Their Liberian mothers abandon them either because they are poor, or because they have married a Liberian man who does not want a half-Nigerian child in his home.

I think that line identifies the culprits
                The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

I heard the IRCON isn't allowed outside Camp Clara, except when on ops

Comment

found it...

In a broken state like Liberia, where 80% of the population live on less than 50 cents a day and women can be seduced by the promise of a mobile-phone scratch card, it is not easy to keep well-paid soldiers chaste.
                    your heart has to go out to them. Imagine it was one of your family who was that desperate for money that they would slep with whoever.

Its crazy. If only the lads over there would use the (free) condoms.

Comment

where is there to go?

And you know that if they were allowed out trouble would start somewhere, either started by a soldier or a local.

Remember the old irish saying:

3 out of 4 may prefer tayto, but there's always one
                      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

C'mon...I'm sure at least a few of the Irish contingent played in the coal bucket !!!

You know it's true.
                        No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Good catholics like them...never!....Remember Eirtrea!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by strummer
                            C'mon...I'm sure at least a few of the Irish contingent played in the coal bucket !!!

You know it's true.

LMAO!!! Strummer, you really should becoame a journo, with a PC attitude like yours, a career at the NY Times beckons!!!! Or better yet, I know you'd go down a treat in Berkeley!!!!!
                            "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

It's the new breed of peace keeper , make love not war .
                              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Working...
                              X