Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhard engines.

hello all
    What became of the aircooled flat-four engines removed from the AMLs? Were they sold for scrap or takeb as part of the deal?
    regards
    GttC

Scapped..all replace with 2.5 litre peugeot engines although initially on Car ARI 238 was trialled with a Mercedes engine but this was refited with the standard pufeot engine. Electrinc clitch remains the same and the bakes were never changed.

Driving ecxpieiene is much the same with a little more power and a lot quietr
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hpt, do they still have the same centrifugal clutch?

How about the gearbox/diff? I presume they were changed?

Comment

All the ancillaries remain the same clutch, suspension, electrics. The pto has been removed but thats about all. Oh and they are not aircooled any more so they behave themseleves when in heavy traffic...except for the brakes..if they overheat no brakes
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

no brakes again its a bit nerve racking going down the side of a very big hill and the driver shouts the brakes are gone again
          Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Was there anything special about the gear boxes on the cars when first delivered? did they have pre selecton boxes?

Comment

what was special was the centrifugal cltch which is actually operated by the plam of the right hand while on the gear lever..which is behind the driver on thright hand side on the floor.

Its a bit like using your right hand to use your mobile phone while its in the left hand side arse pocket of your trousers

the design of the box its self is sound its just getting used to using the thing..BTW there are actually two boxes...high and low...same as 4X4.Preselection...yeah! you thought about it and you did it! Its far easier now with the diesel engine as you are no longer required to use the revs of the engine to change gear.The diesel took the interesting pasrts of driving away.

The next time you see an AML ask somebody can you sit in the driver seat...oH...BTW there is actually adrill for getting inthrough the drivers hatch...and it is mandatory before you drive

Comment

Hi all
                Does anyone know where I could lay my hands on one? Were they fitted in any other vehicle apart from the M3 and the AMLs?
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Some of the vehicle dealers in the UK have refurbished 90 for sale ..approx 9K. The AML 60 fleet that were not converted some of them were given away to collectors but under the terms and conditions of the 'donation 'you are not even allowed to start them.

Stay well away from them is my advice...they are only a heart ache for serviceability.

The Panhard engine is generic to panhard so it was available to buy in some sort of car during the fifties.

There are probably still some complete engines in army stores somewhere as in NZH 13 a former CS car which was not converted to an AML 20 but ended up in the howth transport museum, there is an almost zero timed engine in this car, as it had been changed 3 times during the nineties.
                  The problem with the car was not due to te engine in the end but was due to a reoccuring fuel starvation problem caused by an air lock in the fuel system.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
                    Hi all
                    Does anyone know where I could lay my hands on one? Were they fitted in any other vehicle apart from the M3 and the AMLs?
                    regards
                    GttC
                    AML 90 for S£14.5 k

Comment

Eland is a diffent machine is entirely differnt as they don't use the original petrol engine,Underpoered and aircooling had is own problems

the hull is also 9 inches lihger to deal with the icreased staure of the south african soldiers.

the green 90 is thought to be of spanish extaction and still retains the original petrol engine. Stii think have a word with the transport museum about their low timed engine or contact cavalry tect stores. Before tin town was dmolished there was a fleet of seviceable 60s down their...my self and anothe guy robbed all the periscpes for the view slits..whih were in turn robbed by the 1st cav whe they borrowed our ninety 238 ARI for a shoot afew years back

hl i

Comment

Hi HPT et al
                        Good to see that the old tradition of "relocation" of unwatched gear is continuing. If it wasn't for scavenging, the fleet would come to a standstill.
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

Working...
                        X