Combat clothing in the N.S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat clothing in the N.S

I was just thinking back to my time in recruits when we went to do tactics in kilworth we were issued green combats from stores that were already falling apart ,those of us that still had ours from from being in the FCA were not allowed use them and the same happens to people on NCO's courses (they are not allowed to wear DPM after getting it from serving overseas) . My question is " Is there any rules regarding the continuous use of the same clothing by different people on courses ? I am not saying the stuff is dirty but i had to bayonet my kit because it tried to crawl out of my cabin.
    "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Were you not there during the Blue Combats days then?

I'm not sure if they still use them. Same as the old OG slash Pocket combats,only in Navy Blue... The FCA didn't get issued combats until the blues were introduced.(Fine if you could find enough blue bushes to hide behind).

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I think there have been lawsuits implemented by Members of other defence forces (worldwide) involving skin diseases that have been contracted off re-used kit such as the above.

But the D.F don't have any such rule that I am aware of here.
      Last edited by Guest; 6 June 2005, 17:41.

Comment

Shh..don't be mentioning lawsuits now ye hear?

Comment

It was partially worn clothing, it can only be re-issued in certain circumstances (I don't know what they are). The PAs recently raided every FCA unit in Eastern Brigade and confiscated all partially worn clothing, when they discovered some recruits were being issued it as an "initial issue".

Comment

I know it has become the practice in some units to "give" rather than "issue" previously used or store damaged clothing as "spares",on the condition that the reciever knew that the clothing he or she took was "second hand".

I do know that in the "old days" it was common practice to re-issue clothing of those who had not completed recruit training.

Comment

as recruits in the NS we were isssued combats which were then taken back to be tailored..we got about half the stuff back. I got a trousers but no jacket. the gear had been ripped off while at the tailors. I acquired a set while i was on the Eithne and these left the navy with me...when I joined the FCA the SIB came looking for combats and I had a little explaining to do...but as they couldn't track where they had been issued from I kept them.

I remember at one stage in about 1992 going to haulbowline and guys on gauard and stand to were dressed in bastard rig...hallk blue and half green ..so they must have approved the issue at some stage. Up to then duties were done in No.2s with gaiters and webbing flak jackets and helmets although not on ships.
              Now the question why do the navy need DPM clothing unless going on courses with the army?

If the requiremnet in the joining instructions stses DPMs well then they should be issued...but given that everybody is primarily a member of the army ..albeit in a blue uniform...tes they should be issued across the board to those who need them!

Given the continous shortages in Army side of things...its should be issued to those who actually need them and then to those who might need them!
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                Now the question why do the navy need DPM clothing unless going on courses with the army?
                Thats simple, you would look pretty stupid running around kilworth in navy blue combats .Its not really the idea of wearing second hand combats that gets me but looking at them when they are handed to you and realising that they are probably longer in the service than you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                  Were you not there during the Blue Combats days then?

I'm not sure if they still use them. Same as the old OG slash Pocket combats,only in Navy Blue... The FCA didn't get issued combats until the blues were introduced.(Fine if you could find enough blue bushes to hide behind).
                  i was there when the older version combat was out and stores said they didnt have them to hand out ,so all tactics and ranges were done in green even our day trip on aisling we went out in green , it all changed when some old stores officer asked what army unit we were ,half an hour later we were issued the blue gear .I guess the senior po lied when he said he had none in stores .

Comment

Working...
                  X