Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the FCA?

Hey guys,
    I've been out of the country for a good few years and just recently found this board.

I don't see any mention of the FCA (God Bless'em) but instead the Army Reserve. Is this an official change? What are all these Phases of training I see mentioned? Are FCA/Reserve recruits going to basic training with PDF now? Is it still one night a week and a 2 week summer camp. What's the training pipeline for an Reserve recruit now, and how does it compare to a PDF recruit?

Somebody fill me in please.
    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Regards etc

Comment

It's all part of the re-org thing the naming, but strangely (and I have to admit I was in the wrong here) we've always (since 1954) been called the Reserve Defence force (albeit 2nd line)

see

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

FCA recruits doin PDF recruit training? u must be jokin.

Comment

Going back to Trellheims reply and link, are we not in breach of the constitution by not having air components?

1954 18 18
          Constitution of the Defence Forces. 18.-The Defence Forces shall consist of-

( a ) a defence force to be called and known as na Buan-Óglaigh or (in English) the Permanent Defence Force, comprising army, naval and air components, and

( b ) a defence force to be called and known as na, hÓglaigh Cúltaca or (in English) the Reserve Defence Force, comprising army, naval and air components.

regards etc

Comment

I am sure the air reserve, is the same as the 1st line reserve for the army, ir after you leave the air corps, you have to serve in its reserve for a number of years?

Comment

The legislation allows for the creation of an air reserve it doesn't say that there has to be one. The legislation was written in 1954, in theory we could have developed an air corps to the extent that we had reserve elements (I think in 54 we had a reasonable number of aircraft), so rather than have to pass another piece of legislation in the future they provided for it.

Comment

There is an first line reserve for the air corps, is there not?

Comment

There is a first line reserve for the air corps.

Comment

May I remind everyone we are still the FCA agus An Slua Muiri.
                    The Minister has not signed any paper work yet.
                    :flagwave:

Comment

Really? we are? Damm and heres me thinking that combined we were the RDF!
                      Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

the first line reserve of the aercorps is the aeroplanes. The place is like a living history muesuem.

I really don't care what any body calls me FCA RDF etc I just wish somebody would tell me me what I am supposed to be doing?
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy

I really don't care what any body calls me FCA RDF etc I just wish somebody would tell me me what I am supposed to be doing?
                          have you ever heard of "hurry up and wait"?
                          Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Originally posted by goc132
                            May I remind everyone we are still the FCA agus An Slua Muiri.
                            The Minister has not signed any paper work yet.
                            :flagwave:
                            The minister has "agreed in principle" to the re-org. When was the last time you saw the name FCA in An Cosantoir. It is now Army Reserve.

Comment

This has been so long in the coming - you have to wonder will it ever happen. It is 10 years since the original Price Waterhouse report that started modernisation of the DF ... and we are still waiting for a simple name change. It may take another few decades to take bigger decisions - like overseas deployments etc

Comment

Working...
                              X