Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Careers

Hello!

Just wondering if there are many ex-merchant navy officers in the irish navy?
    do they find it difficult to adjust?

how does a merchant navy officer go about signing up with the lads in Haulbowline?

I was told that you need 2 years at sea as a 3rd officer or higher.

Comment

there's a good few of merchantmen in the NS. I imagine they get on grand, never heard any complain. Sea trips are far shorter than what some are used to. I'd start by ringing manpower section.

Comment

Talking to one such direct entry MEO last year, he was having difficulty adjusting to the whole public service way of work - i.e. slow pace of change, no money for new kit, politics etc. However it was suiting him better on a personal scale vis a vis settling down in one spot

Comment

the current OC naval base and Depot...Capt James Robinson DSM is a former Merchant officer.....to name but a few.

Thre were afew adss on the papers about it last year. I catually served abord ship with some of the DEs..good as any proffessional Naval Officer....go for it!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Nice one Lads,

Thank You for all the advice. ill take it into consideration.
            Ive been doing 4 month long trips on Oil tankers and it sure is a quiet life.......
            Time for a change i think!

Good Watch

CorkMerchant

Comment

Are you a swabbie or a grease monkey?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Swabbie or Grease Monkey?

Im a Swabbie...... currently working as an OOW on oil tankers......4 month trips...no shore leave, no beer.....complete madness....

3 week patrols dont seem too bad!

Comment

You should apply to the Manpower Officer Pms Haulbowline for further information on gaining entry as a DE officer in the Naval Service

Comment

Working...
                  X