Forgotten Irish heroes who fought overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgotten Irish heroes who fought overseas

There are many. But the first three that come to mind are Gunnery Sgt. Daniel Joseph Daly (U.S. Marine Corps) who won two Congressional Medals of Honour, Paddy Finucane who had 32 kills while flying in the RAF (and was their youngest wing commander), Lt. Anthony O'Reilly who posthumously won the Distinguished Service Cross in Vietnam (http://www.illyria.com/irish/irish_oreilly.html).

Can you think of others ?

Lt CDR Eugene Esmond Esmond VC for the channel dash..Theyre are actually two books published on the subject in the past few years...
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Harold Irvine VC Queens Lancashire Regiment originally from Cavan.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus
        There are many. But the first three that come to mind are Gunnery Sgt. Daniel Joseph Daly (U.S. Marine Corps) who won two Congressional Medals of Honour, Paddy Finucane who had 32 kills while flying in the RAF (and was their youngest wing commander), Lt. Anthony O'Reilly who posthumously won the Distinguished Service Cross in Vietnam (http://www.illyria.com/irish/irish_oreilly.html).

Can you think of others ?
        Dan Daly wasn't born in Ireland although with a name like that, I'm sure some of his forebears were. As mentioned previously, the most prominent Irish-born Marine was Anthony Gale, 4th Commandant, born in Dublin, who got booted out fro dueling, womanising and boozing.
        "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Gen Thomas Francis Meagher, US Volunteers and the Irish Brigade of the civil war

Commodore Barry the "father" of the US Navy.

Surgeon Major Reynolds VC-Rorkes Drift
          Looking for country statistics? NationMaster gives access to market sizing and trends across 300 industry verticals and a global coverage.
          When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
          All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Originally posted by combatlogo
            the most prominent Irish-born Marine was Anthony Gale, 4th Commandant, born in Dublin, who got booted out fro dueling, womanising and boozing.
            He got booted out for being a Marine?
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
            My favourite moment was when the
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
              Lt CDR Eugene Esmond Esmond VC for the channel dash....
              I second that. The whole squadron deserved the VC. Esmonde's great-uncle was also a VC winner with the 18th Foot in the Crimea. He was Capt Thomas Esmonde.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                He got booted out for being a Marine?
                He got caught!
                "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

50,000 dead Irishmen in WW1? Not to mention all the other veterans & wounded, including both of my grandfathers????

Do they not count??
                  Take these men and women for your example.
                  Like them, remember that posterity can only
                  be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                  possession of those who have the
                  courage to defend it.
                  Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                  If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

My grand uncle who now resides in California only got a piece of shrapnel removed from his hip last year, that he recieved when he was hit while parachuting in with the 101st airborne on DDay.

My great grandfather was a medic in World War 1.
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Had a look at a Medal of Honour website (http://www.cmohs.org) of the 18 double winners of the MOH, four were from Ireland. Plus, a couple of others look like they were of Irish descent.

I also found this page (http://www.eastmayo.com/ballyhaunis/Profilefeb.htm, you might have to go to http://www.eastmayo.com/ballyhaunis/ and search for the word Gallagher) which states that an Irish man called Patrick Gallagher won a MOH in Vietnam. But I can't find his name in the offical list (http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm).

Comment

Comdt Paul O Donnel

CO A Coy 66 Inf Bn- got into a firefigth and killed those two arsehole inbred mono eye browed thieving smelly brothers from Ayta Zut-

For his bravery the Irish Army sent him to Naquora and his Coy were taken out of the Haddatha area-

Comdt O Donnell went on his ticket and was working for the un in the COngo- he died yesterday of a heart attack

Paul O Donnel was one of the best Officers I have served under, he was well liked and respected by SOldiers despised and hated by wasters.

The Army in its infinite wisdon let this fine Officer and leader of men languish in shite postings -
                        If we only had another 5 Paul O Donnells then we would have the finest Officer Corps going
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
                          50,000 dead Irishmen in WW1? Not to mention all the other veterans & wounded, including both of my grandfathers????

Do they not count??
                          Yes they count. Names, photos, units and where they served would be nice.
                          sigpic

Comment

Comdt O'Donnell cannot have been that old. Tell us the story by the way.
                            sigpic

Comment

Tell us the story by the way
                              sorry mate that story is not for an open forum like this,
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X