What happened to the M113's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the M113's?

I read that during the Defence Forces involvement in the Congo, they managed to get hold of 6 M113 APC's!!!! So what happened to them? Did they have to give them back to the US i guess. Anyone any idea?

We also aquired a few of uncle sam's cast-offs in somalia. as they beat a hasty retreat the americans left 2 M113's and 2 Humvee's for the use of the Irish transport company. don't know what happend to them, but the lads who had to maintain them (UNISOM ") were certainley glad to see the back of the Humvee's[QUOTE]
    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

CONTRIBUTORS OF MILITARY PERSONNEL - ONUC (1960-1964)
      Argentina, Austria, Brazil, Burma, Canada, Ceylon, Denmark, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Liberia, Malaya, Federation of Mali, Morocco, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Sweden, Tunisia, United Arab Republic and Yugoslavia

Funny how they didn't provide any personnel.

Comment

Following the end of hostilities, the Congo M113s were returned to the US Army.

IAS

Comment

Any pictures?
          Meh.

Comment

[QUOTE=REX]We also aquired a few of uncle sam's cast-offs in somalia. as they beat a hasty retreat the americans left 2 M113's and 2 Humvee's for the use of the Irish transport company. don't know what happend to them, but the lads who had to maintain them (UNISOM ") were certainley glad to see the back of the Humvee'sSo whos driving them around the country now????
            My money's on Bryan McFadden.
            Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Did ye ever see the strech limo version driving around dublin. Apparantly it belongs to a certain Dublin Gangland figure.
              Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Back on topic lads...
                Meh.

Comment

Is this the only known photo of the Irish M113?

I'm a little disappointed that it does't show the whole vehicle, or the weapons fit, or even any markings, but it's the first one I've seen that shows any of it. (Or them, if three were used)

NTM
                  Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

nice find CT!
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I'm surprised experiences didn't lead to a purchase. Surely it was better than anything they had at the time!
                      Meh.

Comment

Never seen a picture of it/them before.

Comment

Great pic, never seen that before. Captured vehicle maybe?

Comment

im guessing a UN loaner??

Comment

A UN loaner.Anyone wanting to know why the Irish didn't buy better equipment should trawl thru any archives relating to purchasing for the DF.Invariably, Finance refused it and the DF had to plead for it. There are some quite petty and peevish missives from Finance to the DoD dating back to those times.
                              Finance has always been the real blocker to the purchase of decent equipment in the DF.
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

Working...
                              X