Flanders oct 05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flanders oct 05

On a recent visit to Flanders(oct 05) I took these pics, If anyone is interested in seeing them. Trip was undertaken by myself, Groundhog and Wes. Good time had by all(espically with the price of stella over there) and many places visited. The Highlight for me was finding the "le Touret" memorial which contains the names of 9 men from my home town(carrick on suir) six of which died the same day 19-10-1914.

Pics are as follows.
    1. The Cross to the memory of the Royal Munster Fusiliers at Eterux

2. The Execution post at "Popering".

3. The plaque to the Munsters at Eterux.

4. The cemetary and memorial at Le Touret. This is on the Rue de Bois, where the famous "last absolution of the Munsters" took place.

5. "Ploegestreet" wood. An Eerie place early in the morning, when there is a mist down.This wood was the scene of some heavy fighting throught the war.
    Attached Files
    Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
    Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

some more pics

Sorry couldent fit them all on the same post, heres some more.

1. "The Brooding Soldier" . Canadian memorial near Ypres.

2. "The Brooding Soldier"

3. "The Island of Ireland Peace Park" on Messins Ridge.

4. The cross to the 16th Irish Division in "Wijtschate" or better known as "whitesheet".

5. "Sancturary Wood" . This tree is famous as one of the last surviving trees from the battles at "Hill 62".
    Attached Files
    Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
    Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

Ill create WWI album in th IMO gallery if your interested Flick. Might stick up some of my own shots as well.

Comment

Sounds like a plan muzzle

Comment

You will need to register on the gallery (http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/Photos/register.php) then you can upload em in to the WWI abum. Could do the same for you Leb shots if you interested?

Last edited by Muzzle; 26 October 2005, 15:43.

Comment

Realy good Picts herr flick, thanks for sharing
            Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
            - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

The last known surviving British soldier to have fought in the trenches of World War I has revisited the site where he fought 90 years ago.
              BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Originally posted by herr flick View Post
                Sorry couldent fit them all on the same post, heres some more.

5. "Sancturary Wood" . This tree is famous as one of the last surviving trees from the battles at "Hill 62".
                HF thanks for the photos! Just noticed the wooden crosses attached to the tree. Came across a cluster of similar crosses in a hedge row at Narrow Water Castle, Warrenpoint, recently. Quite moving, as people still show their respect for the British soldiers killed there in a double bombing, where a patrol was blown up, some years ago. There were 12 or 14 lads killed then. Sad, though times are moving on for the better now.

Comment

I'm Planning a return visit to Flanders this year, after realising last year that a day is not nearly enough to see what is to see in the Ieper/Ypres area.
                  I'll be renting a car of course, and want to get in as much as possible in the region. Wes tells me Mons is on the route from the airport. I'm sure given the area, there are many more places of interest worth a visit, whether it be WW1, or WW2 related (could it be that De Valera was the first person to call it World War 2?)
                  I'm open to any suggestions. I think I have secured accom in Ypres, though sadly not the same bargain I got last year...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Depends on how much driving you intend on doing.

We covered 1700kms in one week at normandy with a brief trip to the Somme area if you can call a 400km round trip brief.

Try the 'Kyriad' range of hotels..real bargain.

Diesel is not cheap in france ..petrol is much the same but the range to be had on a tank of 'satans fuel' way outstrips that of petrol.Don't refuel near the motor ways can be 20cent per litre dearer.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Yeah,. Noticed that in france last year. Was doing over 200km per day, but it was a Very small car. Went from Compeigne to Ypres and back one day. A bit of a trek for a big fella like myself in a fiat panda.....

Comment

Thanks for the Kyriad name. Booked one not far from Lille. keeping me nicely in the Flanders area.
                        Booked a slightly bigger car also....

Comment

Stay of the toll roads. A trip from Caen to the Somme cost €27 each way , some GPS can be set up to aviod tool booths.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Caen to the somme is a bloody long drive you know. I wouldnt waste that much on driving, toll or not. I think there is enough to see in Belgium.

Comment

If you're near Brussels, go to the National Army and Air Force Museums in the CityNot open Mondays).I assume you're landing in Charleroi, which is 30 mins drive South of the capital.There's also an excellent motor museum directly opposite the other two,as well as a Natural History museum.Just look for the huge triumphal arches, just offf the main artery into the city from the East. After that, go to Waterloo for a look at the Panorama Museum, which overlooks the battlefield.Lots of Waterloo-related small sites in the area.
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

Working...
                              X