Poppy Day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poppy Day.

With 11th November and Rememberance sunday not far off, I am wondering is there many places around the country selling Poppys?
    I got mine last year in Cruises st Limerick, but don't think I'll be aroud there this week so I would appreciate it if some of you wouldn't mind reporting on where you saw them available?

Remember Irishmen fought and died in wars too.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

How many people here wear one? I have one, stuck it on my schoolbag. Almost every shop and restaurant here (Calgary) have poppies available alongside a collection box...see a good few college students wearing one..
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Cant remeber seeing them which is a bit c**p
      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Does the Royal British Legion help former British soldiers who are Irish and live in the Republic?
        Meh.

Comment

Yes.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I haven't seen them anywhere in Dublin, and I've been looking. It's a shame, I for one would like to wear one.

Comment

Try the Royal British Legion if not then PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
                I haven't seen them anywhere in Dublin, and I've been looking. It's a shame, I for one would like to wear one.
                Have a taped copy of the documentary "All The Queens's Men"
                Anyway, there was a segment in it on the subject of the British Legion
                club in Dublin. It mentioned that the club closed down due to falling membership
                shortly after the documentary was filmed there.
                The British Embassy no doubt, would probably be able to assist...
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I'd wear one if I could buy one. My Granddad fought in WWII (in the BA, he's still alive) and I'm very pround of that and I feel it's important to remember those who did not come back.

Comment

If anyone knows anywhere in Dublin you can get them , could you please post the location, thanks
                    I dont have an alcohol problem, im just a social butterfly

Comment

Are the Irish military allowed to wear the poppy...just wondering.

Comment

No. Apart from Irish medals and awards the only symbols which can be worn on the uniform are shamrock (on St Patricks day) a fáinne (don't ask) and the badge of the pioneer total abstinance society (do NOT ask).

Also foreign decorations and awards can be worn on the right breast with the proper permission. This topic is currently being garrotted to death on another thread.

Comment

One day it might be possible to wear them again.
                          One day, but after 30 years cruel war it might be too early.
                          Too much pain too much hatred.

There are other ways:

Visit the National War Memorial Islandbridge

Attend the Remembrance Day Service in St Patricks Cathedral.

Place a poppy on any military grave in any of the cemetries in Ireland.

Do the same in any military cemetary in Europe.

Just pause on the 11.11.11 and say thanks.

During my lifetime I rediscovered my grandfather's history and service in the Dublin Fusilers(aka as RDF)
                          I sometimes dreamed that someday a Company or a Battallion of the Irish Army would parade under arms with fixed bayonets ,with National Colours to the front and march to the War Memorial in Island Bridge. There to present arms and salute all those ordinary men who have been forgotten so long by all of us. For they too gave their lives as professional soldiers in the cause of peace and freedom. Who of us would have done different?
                          Last edited by Gunner Who?; 8 November 2005, 09:31.

Comment

You can also visit the Military Cemetry on Blackhorse Ave approx half a mile up the road from Mc Kee Barracks heading towards Cumiskys pub. The title of the cemetry I think is Grangegorman not to be confused with the other one in Dublin 7. It is quite an interesting place the cemetery the victims from the troop ship Leinster are also interred there. It closes approx 16.00 hrs
                            Bohs till I die

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Irish
                              If anyone knows anywhere in Dublin you can get them , could you please post the location, thanks
                              Royal British Legion 26 South Frederick Street (between Kildare Street & Dawson Street) Ph: 6713044.

Comment

Working...
                              X