Military Barracks Waterford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Barracks Waterford

I am attempting to trace the origin of the two military barracks in Waterford City. are there any sources that would give me the date of the building of these barracks?

Defence Forces public relations office maybe?
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by dermotpower
      I am attempting to trace the origin of the two military barracks in Waterford City. are there any sources that would give me the date of the building of these barracks?
      Military Archives. Before the flood some old Colonel did a series of articles for An Cosantóir on the barracks in Ireland so he may have done a write up on Waterford. The National Archives in Britain alos retains maps and plans of these old barracks as well.

Meanwhile try this link

http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org...D15206?lang=en
      Last edited by Groundhog; 11 November 2005, 02:02.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Two? ...where is the second one?...yeh there is is one in Barracks Street ..or whats left of it...thanks to the corporation.....wasn't aware of a second one!...and that was a grand barracks in its day!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The barracks on Barrack st was popularly known as Ballybrican barracks and is now being converted into affordable housing.The last remaining part in Military use is at end of the old hospital block. We did many camps there in the 1970,s and 80,s and it was a great location many happy memories of the place.
          Bohs till I die

Comment

it was never know as BallyBricken Barracks locally...note correct spelling....it was always just the barracks......it was a good barracks pity it was never really developed.....The Arch caused problems in later years with the larger forms of transport....there wer two indoor ranges.....plenty of brick accomadation...agood square ...it was wasted!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

When was it closed?
              "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
              Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Chipper out the gate on the right and Val Browns? pub opposite.The Egan.
                Tramore and crubeens in Rockets. Happy days.

On the lines outside the armoury.
                http://www.62infantry.com/images/pho...torical/30.jpg

On the square.
                http://www.62infantry.com/images/pho...orical/392.jpg

Pics courtesy of 62nd website.

Comment

Man those are some old school pictures...
                  Meh.

Comment

Black berets and red epaulettes. Something does not compute.
                    sigpic
                    Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

There was a brief period in the 70's were the FCA wore black berets. I actually have quite a few of them at home (well, my old man does). I'll have to raid his collection some day and post them.

-C
                      Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                        Black berets and red epaulettes. Something does not compute.
                        In the "square " picture you can see a combination of green and black berets. All worn by FCA men. No women .

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          Two? ...where is the second one?...yeh there is is one in Barracks Street ..or whats left of it...thanks to the corporation.....wasn't aware of a second one!...and that was a grand barracks in its day!
                          Probably a bit late replying to this topic, but to the best of my knowledge the second barracks, which was the artillery barracks, was located where Cannon Street and Barrack Street meet. It was demolished to build the houses in St. Carthages Ave.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.013626&z=17
                          Last edited by farlee; 25 April 2009, 18:24.

Comment

Photo Waterford

Black berets were worn from the 60 S. iN THE PHOTO L/R Ger Paley Right Rossa Lyons

Comment

Originally posted by yellow oscar View Post
                              Black berets were worn from the 60 S. iN THE PHOTO L/R Ger Paley Right Rossa Lyons
                              Jeebus, would never have twigged that was Rossa Lyons !
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X