Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

operations branch or engineering branch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• operations branch or engineering branch?

I am hoping to get a place in the 2007 cadet class and I have put a lot of recearch into the application process, ranks etc..
    But I dont have a clue about what branch I should join.
    I was wondering if there was any NS personnel here that could give me an idea about which branch is best, or offers more chances for promotions

Thanks a million

Why do you want to join the Naval service?
    Is it to Command Ships or Make sure they keep running.
    I always thought the options were Executive Branch or Engineering Branch.

Promotion prospects are the same for both up to Lt Commander level, which is a long way off for a potential cadet.

If you want to Be Flag Officer Commanding Naval service, then dont go to Engineers.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

i have always leaned towards the idea of deck but if i want to leave after 12 years, what i have i got to show? i can drive a boat- thats not much to show for 12 years if you ask me.
      I could do engineering but id like to make captain someday. im sure you can see the prediciment im in

Comment

I can,I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you should do a bit more research into the job you are applying for.
        A deck officer does not drive a "boat". Thats an ABs job.
        A deck officer is a manager, responsible for the efficient running of the ship above hull level. The Primary role of deck officers is Navigation, but they are also responsible for the welfare of the seamen in their respective division.Their secondary role in this country is boarding officer, which is effectively a policeman at sea.

Comment

Ah leave him off!...I think the terminology is brilliant....the drive a boat terminology will go down great at the interview.......I want to be a captain....sure son we have loadsa vacancies come on in....!

Its just like the old days when little legionaire was here!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hi all
            HPT, you sweaty old cynic, you'll frighten the boy!...What'll you have to show for twelve years service? Well, for a start, you'll be a damn sight more mature and wiser than you are now;you'll have all the appropriate Marine Qualifications;you'll have a bunch of mates that'll stand you for life and a host of good, middling and bad experiences and you'll have a totally different perspective on life. You'll also be instantly employable anywhere.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Thanks GTTC...I really do wonder sometimes where your grace and sensibility came from!

LT Mac....at what stage in the process of joining the NS are you or is it a possible future amongst others......

GTTC kinda somes most of it up in what he says but you may want to refine your reasons for interview process...
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

At the moment Im in 5th year.
                My dad is in the Navy so it wasnt too hard a decision to make.

Comment

whos's yer dad...pm ..me i might remember him! graciously no doubt....

Comment

Comment

Hi there
                      Hi HPT, I had to wean off the old bad Don habits before I was fit for the general populus again.I'm alright now, but I sometimes get retro and get all non-cuddly and cynical!...You never know, his Da might be FOCNS!
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Transfers

Is it possible for a naval officer, after a period of time at sea, to transfer to the army? What sort of training is undertaken, and for how long? Are they restricted in how far they can be promoted?
                        "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Its easier for Navy to go army than the other way around. Most of those who do go to corps units.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                            Its easier for Navy to go army than the other way around. Most of those who do go to corps units.
                            Any reason for that?
                            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Any Idiot can be an army officer. A naval officer needs to be able to navigate a ship, or be a marine engineer...

Considering most army officers are a lethal weapon when given a map, can you imagine the damage they would do in a landmark free environment?

Comment

Working...
                              X