Royal Navy Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Navy Documentary

By chance tonight I stumbled upon an excellent documentary series on BBC1 TV.(9pm)

Called "Shipmates" it chronicles the Life aboard HMS Chatham and HMS Ocean.
    The First episode detailed the Departure of HMS Chatham from Devonport to the Gulf prior to last Christmas,Transiting the Suez Canal, and Boarding suspect vessels in the Gulf area.

However the routine took a dramatic change following December 26 last year, as Chatham was sent to the Indian Ocean to assist in the Tsunami Relief effort.

Worth watching.

Shipmates

Tue 22 Nov, 21:00 - 22:00 60 mins

New Series

Hello - Goodbye

Just three weeks before Christmas HMS Chatham, a type 22 Frigate, leaves her home base of Plymouth for a six month deployment to the Gulf. Her mission: to detect, disrupt and destroy terrorism on the high seas. Within two weeks HMS Chatham is on patrol - on the lookout for merchant ships carrying arms, drugs or terrorists themselves. It is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Christmas day is spent 60 miles off the south coast of Iran but on Boxing Day the weather takes a turn for the worse and the sea becomes unseasonly rough. Then comes the news that the ship is riding the after-effects of a massive earthquake just off Indonesia that has generated a massive tsunami. This programme contains some strong language. [S]

Subtitles Widescreen Stereo

Subject:
    Factual; Features & Events

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

RN programme tonight on BBC-1...

Hi all
    Watched the new series, started tonite, about HMS Chatham's deployment to the Gulf.Very interesting and informative.Was there ever anything like it on the Irish Navy?
    regards
    GttC

Comment

Excellent stuff.

Comment

Well Derek Davis did do 2 shows aboard L.E Niamh during her Asian Visit some years ago.

Comment

He turned part of it into a Derek Davis cookery programe as I remember.

There was a very good fly-on-the-wall documentary series called HMS Brilliant about 8-10 years ago - they were looking for arms shipments into Bosnia as I remember. I think it was a Channel 4 production. I found it interesting but i don't think the ratings were great (the TV viewership Ratings!).

The best episode covered a run ashore in Istanbul. It was the first bit of freedom in months and of course when sailors are given shore leave all the safety valves release the built-up tensions.

There was a very good core group of characters of different ranks who were followed throughout the series.

Some amazing footage (and music) of a passage through the Corrinth canal.

Comment

Hi Sluggie
            I'll bet they don't show the bits where the shore patrol has to drag some of the overimbibers back to the ship to avoid the wrath/boots/knives of the local populace/police...a friend of mine, who served on one of their Carriers, once told me that they were less than loved by the Maltese police after several nights of "tension release"......that gunner was having a great time with his Minigun!....they must have felt hexed to get a fire within their first hour under way....the padre looks like a right beaut! He'll be a changed man after six months afloat.
            Compulsory viewing.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Great show, gives great insight to life onboard

Comment

HMS Brillant, very good BBC documentary.

Comment

The Royal Navy must be short of recruits, that`s why they have allowed this documentry to be made.

Comment

Every few years they produce these documentaries

Comment

There was a documentary on RTE about 6-7 years ago called "Irish Navy". Only one episode. Covered a bit of the history of the Naval Service, their roles etc. Included an interview with Charles Haughey about how he secured the deal for the Hong Kong Patrol Vessels. Well worth watching at the time.
                      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

That show was made in conjunction with the NS 50th anniversary, in 1996.

Comment

good show but isnt this kind of show a well worn path with the BBC ??

Comment

True. Did anyone else notice the amount of "rotund" gentlemen within Her Majestys Navy? I would look positively athletic among some of them...

Comment

Should be called HMS Fatham

Wasn't it HMS Chatham that did the Bohemian Rhapsody skit for charity.
                              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Working...
                              X