PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Barracks

Victor
26th November 2005, 03:16
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of Dublin barracks / military installations over the (more recent) centuries?

I saw a reference during the week to Richmond Barracks in Inchicore / Kilmainham. It subsequently became Keogh Barrack, but was quickly sold off after independence.

http://www.iol.ie/~smichore/history1.htm
http://www.archiseek.com/content/showpost.php?p=5134&postcount=1
http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/S/0003/S.0003.192407280006.html
State Lands Act 1924 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/gen461924a.html

I know of (clockwise)

Dublin Castle
Pigeon House Fort
Loughlinstown Camp Field
Beggars Bush
Cathal Brugha (Portobello)
Griffith (Wellington, formerly site of an asylum)
Keogh (Richmond)
Royal Hospital (used later as Garda HQ, before training was moved to Templemore in 1964)
Clancy (Island Bridge)
Magazine Fort (Phoenix Park)
Collins ("The Barracks" - was there another name?)
St. Bricins, Arbour Hill (Royal Barracks)
McKee (Marlborough)
Marlborough House (North Strand, RIC or BA?)

Its odd that there was no defence north / east of McKee (also Marlborough Barracks, Cabra) after Marlborough House (North Strand) closed. Having both Marlborough House and Marlborough Barracks seems confusing.

There were recruiting stations at 23, 24 and 25 Pearse Street (Brunswick Street (South)) and 14-15 (now) Upper O'Connell Street (Upper Sackville St.).

There were minor defences at various points including Dalkey Island, Dalkey Hill, Dun Laoghaire Harbour and the Martello Towers.

The RAF had airfields at, I think, Collinstown (Dublin Airport), Baldonnell (Casement) and Tallaght.

The Coastguard had (minor) barracks at least in Dalkey and The Baily in Howth.

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/history2.html

B Inman
27th November 2005, 15:27
Collins Barracks was know as Royal Barracks prior to 1922.

Victor
27th November 2005, 16:53
Collins Barracks was know as Royal Barracks prior to 1922.

Ah, presumably it was the whole Collins / St. Bricins / Arbour Hill complex then.

morpheus
28th November 2005, 09:32
Gormanston was a former RAF base was it not?

ODIN
28th November 2005, 10:51
Reading the last link posted by Victor, it seems some of these lands were leased for a period of 99 yrs, so does that mean they are still owned by the state

Victor
28th November 2005, 12:41
Gormanston was a former RAF base was it not?Gormanston is over the border in Meath.

Reading the last link posted by Victor, it seems some of these lands were leased for a period of 99 yrs, so does that mean they are still owned by the statePossibly. The freehold may have been sold off later. Part of the site was later sold for a school (see link) and the rest seems to be the St. Michael's Estate (redevelopment proposed). The Act was later repealed (STATE PROPERTY ACT, 1954), but the leases were unaffected.

Marlborough House (North Strand, RIC or BA?)My mistake. This is Aldborough House, which was used as a Crimean era army barracks. Subsequently used by post & telegraphs and (part) sold to Dublin Corporation under the STATE PROPERTY ACT, 1954.

Marlborough House is on Marlborough Street, off O'Connell Street and was also used as an industrial school and then by post & telegraphs (hence my confusion). It is now the Department of Education and Science. The only military connection I know is in the film Michael Collins, this is where prisoners from the GPO are taken to immediatly, to then be moved first to Richmond Barracks and then the adjacent Kilmainham Gaol. Of course, the Michael Collins film used Grangegorman hospital as a set, so "Marlborough House" was actually at the Richmond Hospital.

Small world + mind boggles at the repeat use of names.

Steamy Window
28th November 2005, 19:56
Gormanston was a former RAF base was it not?

As already pointed out, it's in Co. Meath.

It was built as a training base in 1917-1918. During the War of Independence it was a major logistics base; after it ended it became a transit site for the Black and Tans on their way home.

B Inman
29th November 2005, 22:03
Ah, presumably it was the whole Collins / St. Bricins / Arbour Hill complex then.

Don't know about St Bricins (it was built at a much later date) but Arbour Hill Prison was built as a Military Prison and was only handed over to the Dept of Justice in the early 1970,s. The barracks and the prison were linked by an underpass/tunnel long since bricked up. The entrance on the Barracks side had a faded sign over the archway which read "No horse-drawn transport foot traffic only".

Victor
14th December 2005, 17:46
Royal Hibernian Military School (now St. Mary's Hospital, Phoenix Park), not a military establishment as such, but at one point had 80% of students joining up.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/claremuseum/news_events/medal_of_honourcc.htm
http://www.achart.ca/hibernian/

daithi
4th November 2007, 15:24
Keogh Barricks (Richmond) is referred in the above seanad debate as KEHOE barricks..... so which one is it then??? All the OS maps from the 1920's and the 1943 revisions refer to it as Keogh barricks and Keogh square, but in the debates of 1924 it's continously referred to as KEHOE barricks.... presumably hte seanad debates are correct?? Also they date from the end of July 1924, the decision had been made to sell the barricks in early June of the same year by WT cosgrave, the president of the executive council.... He is referred to in these dabates, not by name, with regard to Beggers Bush Barricks and why it hadn't been renamed.... what do they mean by:

'When I inquired recently from the military authorities why it had not so far got the honour of baptism I took it from the very apologetic tone in which I was answered that they were waiting for the honour of the President of the Executive Council being shot or of surrendering his life for the benefit of his country in some other way'

????

Victor
31st January 2008, 22:40
Some pics from old maps.

The black and white map dates from about 1750, the other 1918. Interesting that there was an Artillery Ground in the Royal Barracks - would this have been a range? Slightly worrying in a built up area.

From the Luas at Davitt road, you can get a good view of what was Richmond Barracks, its mostly open and you can see the gym at the far end.

trellheim
31st January 2008, 22:49
What about the Martello Towers ?

Are you omitting by design places where soldiers drilled ? For example Trinity and UCD and all the LDF/FCA posts around the county.

There's also Swords and Dun Laoghaire [ recently vacated ] and the Don inside the county boundary.

spudula
7th March 2008, 19:47
St bricins was later named King George V hospital till after the truce.

Gormanston was a black and tan camp as well as holding POW's during WW2, ever see the nazi flying patch in the pte's mess?

Steamy Window
1st May 2008, 18:36
Phoenix Park Magazine Fort:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastiandooris/sets/72157604002713223/

Viking
1st May 2008, 23:04
St bricins was later named King George V hospital till after the truce. I'd say it was named St Bricins after independence, and the Hospital was probably called King George V hospital from day 1. I'd be interested in hearing the story behind the place.

Viking
1st May 2008, 23:08
Those photos of the Magazine Fort are fantastic. Another interesting but hidden part of Dublin.

Victor
4th June 2008, 00:00
There is a former military gymnasium in Chapelizod at Martin's Row.

http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/protected_structures_dublin_city.pdf

Curragh Plains
20th June 2008, 20:39
The Remount Depot at Lusk ... has been perpetuated in the name of a new roundabout outside the town 'Remount Roundabout' ...

Ex Brit
5th July 2008, 23:39
Anybody know is there any plans for magazine fort or who is meant to be maintaining it

Victor
8th July 2008, 04:02
Anybody know is there any plans for magazine fort or who is meant to be maintaining it(a) No idea. (b) OPW I imagine - they run the park and the vast majority of state properties.

Turncoat
29th October 2008, 22:21
Hi

I was just wondering where would I find information on the various Barracks in Dublin.
In particular the ones relating to the Irish regiments like the Iniskillings and RIR.
I know Cathal Bruagh (Then portobello) was home to both the Royal Irish regiment and Iniskillings but were other barracks manned by Irish troops?

Ive tried googling it but can only find rough information. Not much about the actual units or dates etc.

Goldie fish
29th October 2008, 22:29
My understanding is that few barracks were "Homes" to units as such. The Munster Fusiliers for example, spent some years in Charles Fort, Kinsale, and More years in the New Barracks in Limerick. During the Anglo Irish War Charles Fort was home to the Essex Regiment.

Collins Barracks Museum is definitely the place to start. The Luas(From Connolly) stops outside the door. The Curators are for the most part, well versed on military history. (Look for Frank Kelly, if you can).

Beggars Bush seems to have been the Main HQ during the Anglo Irish War. Its no longer a Barracks. Govt Stationary office used to reside there I think.

Victor
30th October 2008, 17:52
List of barracks and other installationd here: http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?t=7663 but no unit information.

[MOD: thank you Victor, thread merged.]

Drylander
3rd November 2008, 00:08
Lookin at the names of all the different baracks I recently came across one I never heard of before. Does anybody have any info or photos of LINENHALL barracks. What part of the city was it located in and when did it close. I may be confusing this with another barracks that I heard reffered to as "The Maternity Barracks "

johnny no stars
3rd November 2008, 00:16
found this: http://www.irishtimes.com/focus/easterrising/nowandthen.htm

Linenhall barracks were on Constitution hill, near North King Street.

edit: just looked at a map. If I'm not mistaken that's now the Kings Inns (law school place thingy) and DIT also has a building called "Linenhall" adjacent to it... I'm guessing there's a connection....

Victor
3rd November 2008, 01:45
Linenhall is the area west of Bolton Street.

The barracks would appear to have been rather small - between North King Street, Coleraine Street and Lisburn Street according to page 316 here: http://books.google.ie/books?id=X1fWCCHReoUC&pg=PA316&lpg=PA316&dq=%22Linenhall+barracks%22&source=web&ots=qt1B81r5ii&sig=WsztI0vGbMU2tEZtkQd0iBeljow&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA316,M1

It appears it was taken over in 1925. http://books.google.ie/books?id=o8Vs2DETDQcC&pg=PA67&lpg=PA67&dq=%22Linenhall+barracks%22&source=web&ots=kM11iMq22W&sig=iUdItrBttn-l_5B_4_Ih5N_-5xE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result

I wonder if the houses on Lisburn Street were part of it. Page 67: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=swrmhpgg9hmq&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=29507270&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Photo after 1916 Rising http://www.southdublinimages.ie/searchselection.aspx?id=3569

It appears to have had marrierd quaters and was at some time occupied by pay clerks and possibly had warehouses.

Kieran Marum
4th November 2008, 17:46
Hi

I was just wondering where would I find information on the various Barracks in Dublin.
In particular the ones relating to the Irish regiments like the Iniskillings and RIR.
I know Cathal Bruagh (Then portobello) was home to both the Royal Irish regiment and Iniskillings but were other barracks manned by Irish troops?

Ive tried googling it but can only find rough information. Not much about the actual units or dates etc.

The Irish Infantry Regiments under the previous administration were dispatched all over the Empireand just accepted a posting in Ireland in the normal course of events when they might be on Home Service

In 1914 The were Located as follows:-

The Irish Guards
1st Battalion were at Aldershot part of the4th Brigade and 2nd Division

The Royal Irish Regiment
1st Bn NASIRABAD India
2nd Bn Devonport part of 8th Brigade and 3rd Division
Depot at Clonmel
3rd Reserve [R] Bn Clonmel
4th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Kilkenny

Royal Inniskililling Fusiliers
1st Bn Trimulgherry, India
2nd Bn Dover part of 12 Bde and 4th Division
Depot at Omagh
3rd Reserve [R] Bn Omagh
4th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Enniskilling

Royal Irish Rifles
1st Bn Aden
2nd Bn Tidworth
Depot at Belfast
3rd Reserve [R] Bn Blfast
4th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Newtownards

Royal Irish Fusiliers
1st Bn Shorncliffe Kent Part of 10 Brigade and 4th Division
2nd Bn Quetta, India
Depot at Armagh
3rd Reserve [R] Bn Amagh
4th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Cavan

Leinsters
1st Bn Fyzabad, India
2nd Bn Cork part of 17th Bde and 6th Division
Depot at Birr
3rd Reserve [R] Bn Birr
4th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Maryboroug
5th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Drogheda

Royal Muster Fusiliers
1st Bn Rangoon, BURMA
2nd Bn Aldershot part of 1st Guards Bde and 1st Division
Depot at Tralee
3rd Reserve [R] Bn Tralee
4th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Kinsale
5th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Limerick

Royal Dublin Fusiers
1st Bn Madras, India
2nd Bn Gravesend, Kent Part of 10 Briade and 4th Division
Depot at Naas
3rd Reserve [R] Bn Naas
4th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Dublin
5th Special Reserve [SR] Bn Dublin

The Cavalry were equally dispersed
only three Regiments were in Ireland as part of the Cavilry Brigade at the Curragh and in Dublin 4th Queens Own Hussars, 5tgh Royal Irish Lancers and the 16th Queens Lancers.

Two Regiments with Irish in their title were else where 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards were in Tidworth while 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars were in Ambila India

The Special Reserve were represented with the North Irish Horse based from Skehonnel Avenue in Belfast while their counterparts in the South Irish Horse were headquartered in Beggers Bush in Dublin

All the other barracks with in Ireland were occupied by non Irish units on a standard rotational basis.

Kieran Marum
4th November 2008, 18:20
Allied to the above these might be of help

BRITISH ARMY IN IRELAND - JULY 1914 JULY 1914 ARMY LIST
25 The Kings Own Scottish Borderers 2nd Bn DUBLIN
33/76 The Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding) Regiment 2nd Bn DUBLIN
50 The Queens Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) 1st Bn DUBLIN
51/105 The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 2nd Bn DUBLIN
12 The Suffolk Regiment 2nd Bn 14 CURRAGH
31/70 The East Surrey Regiment 1st Bn DUBLIN
32/46 The Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry 1st Bn CURRAGH
63/96 The Manchester Regiment 2nd Bn CURRAGH
9 The Norfolk Regiment 1st Bn HOLYWOOD
16 The Bedford Regiment 1st Bn MULLINGAR
22 The Cheshire Regiment 1st Bn LONDONDERRY
39/54 The Dorsetshire Regiment 1st Bn BELFAST
3 The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) 1st Bn FERMOY
17 The Leicestershire Regiment 1st Bn FERMOY
53/85 The Shropshire Light Infantry 1st Bn TIPPERARY
65/84 The York and Lancaster Regiment 2nd Bn LIMERICK
7 The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers(City of London)1st Bn KINSALE
The Prince of Wales(North Staffordshire) Regiment 1st Bn BUTTEVANT
100 The Leinster Regiment 2nd Bn CORK
- - The Rifle Brigade 3rd Bn CORK

ROYAL ARTILLERY
5 DIVISION GOC Maj-Gen Sir C. FERGUSON CURRAGH

13 Brigade G.J. Cuthbert DUBLIN
14 Brigade B.G. Rolt CURRAGH
15 Brigade A.E.W Gleichein BELFAST

ROYAL ARTILLERY
CRA Col Sir J.E.W HEADLAM CB DSO NEWBRIDGE
VIII (HOWR) BDE RFA 37,61,65 KILDARE
XV BDE RFA 11,52,80 KILDARE
XXVII BDE RFA 119,120,121 NEWBRIDGE
XXVIII BDE RFA 122,123,124 DUNDALK

6 DIVISION GOC Maj-Gen W.P PULTENEY CORK
16 Brigade FERMOY
17 Brigade CORK

ROYAL ARTILLERY
CRA Col(temp Brig-Gen) Wellesley Lynedoch Henry PAGET MALLOW

II BDE RFA 21,42,53 CHAIR
XII How BDE RFA 43,86,87 FETHARD
XXIV BDE RFA 110,111,112 BALLINCOLLIG
XXXVIII BDE RFA 24,34,72 FERMOY

ROYAL GARRISION ARTILLERY (Coastal Defence)

Northern Ireland Coast Defence
==============================

LONDONDERRY - Defended Ports: LOUGH SWILLY & BELFAST

15 Company

Southern Ireland Coast Defence
===============================
Defended Ports: QUEENSTOWN HARBOUR & BEREHAVEN
Brown, Robert Partridge (QM 29/7/03) (hon capt) 29/07/13 CORK HARBOUR
10 Company RGA QUEENSTOWN
43 Company RGA QUEENSTOWN
49 Company RGA QUEENSTOWN

V Reserve Royal Field Artillary Brigade ATHLONE
144th Battary
=============
145th Battary
=============
No 5 DEPOT (Royal Field Artillary) ATHOLONE

ROYAL ENGINEERS
5TH DIVISION
17 Field Company CURRAGH
59 Field Company CURRAGH
5 Signal Company CARLOW

6th DIVISION
12 Field Company MOORE PARK Fermoy
38 Field Company CORK
6 Signal Company LIMERICK

OTHER UNITS
14 Survey Company DUBLIN
33 Fortress Company QUEENSTOWN
Det Coast Battalion Berehaven
Det Coast Battalion Lough Swilly
B Signal Company LIMERICK
K Signal Company DUBLIN
4 Field Troop (3rd Cav Bde) CURRAGH
3 Signal Troop (3rd Cav Bde) CURRAGH

ARMY SERVICE CORPS
4 COMPANY DUBLIN
6 COMPANY CURRAGH
17 COMPANY CORK
19 COMPANY DUBLIN
23 COMPANY CURRAGH
33 COMPANY BELFAST
37 COMPANY CURRAGH
48 (M.T.) COMPANY DUBLIN
49 (M.T.) COMPANY CURRAGH
50 (M.T.) COMPANY FERMOY
51 (M.T.) COMPANY CURRAGH
"D" COMPANY (SUPPLY) CURRAGH
"BB" COMPANY (REMOUNT) DUBLIN "CC" COMPANY (REMOUNT) LUSK "DD" COMPANY (REMOUNT) Temp DUBLIN

Goldie fish
4th November 2008, 19:46
Very interesting, where did you find those details?

Kieran Marum
5th November 2008, 14:56
Very interesting, where did you find those details?

All the above was taken from data in a ARMY LIST August 1914 - other editions give a picture at that time
The Army List was then a monthly publication, quarterly and half yearly.

The same information could be found in copies of HARTS ARMY LIST which also recorded the previous locations of Major Infantry and Cavalry Units together with details of each officers career - a facility not avalible in the Monthly Army Lists.

If you are interested I have a listing of BRITISH Units by location and month for the period 1919/1922.

PS Naval and Military Press have reissued the August 1914 Army List !!!!

Hospitaller
31st December 2008, 17:51
This is what I've found in my research--these were active during the War of Independence (2 exceptions in parens just before).

This may seem like a large number, but the Dublin Brigade became the Dublin District in Mar 1920 with the 24th & 25th (Provisional) Infantry Brigades assigned. Brig.-Gen. Boyd was promoted to Maj.-Gen. at this re-organisation. Most of the battalions assigned were actually in the City, although the District had purview over Co. Dublin and Meath. Most of these barracks had one or two infantry battalions garrisoned.

The British army did use the Rifle Brigade and the RHA, RGA and RFA 'brigades' in Ireland. Their units were listed as 'regiments', but their were actually the size of infantry battalions (the RHA were dismounted) and used as such. The same holds true with the cavalry regiments.

Military/Police Barracks

(Aldborough Barracks)--Aldborough Place & Portland Row--Site of Fenian attack in 1893. Seems to have been closed around 1894.

Arbour Hill Barracks--Across from Royal Barracks--Situated north across Arbour Hill St., near the Military Prison, with the Arbour Hill (Military) Cemetery in-between.

Beggars Bush Barracks--Beggars Bush--Site of Army Pay Office in WWI. Turned over to ADRIC for Depot in July 1920; 1st barracks turned over to the Free State.

Dublin Castle--Dublin Castle--Seat of Britain's Irish Government.

Island Bridge Barracks--South Circular--Renamed Clancy Barracks.

King’s Inn--Constitution Hill--Used as a British army HQ in War of Independence.

Linenhall Barracks--Constitution Hill--Immediately south of King's Inn.

Magazine Fort--Phoenix Park

Marlborough Barracks--Blackhorse Avenue--Renamed McKee Barracks.

(Pigeon House Fort)--South Wall--1814–97, apparently became electric station; attacked with dynamite in 1893. Seems to have been converted around 1894.

Portobello Barracks--Rathmines--Renamed Cathal Brugha Barracks.

Richmond Barracks--Kilmainham--Renamed Keogh Barracks.

Royal Barracks--SW Temple & Benburb St.--Renamed Collins Barracks.

RIC Depot & Barracks--South of Marlborough Barracks, off North Circular Road. Sometimes called 'Phoenix Park RIC Depot'.

Ship Street Barracks--Located on south side at the Castle. There was also a DMP station or barracks nearby. Of course, both the DMP and the RIC were headquartered at the Castle, with the Chief-Commissioner of the DMP (Edgeworth-Johnstone) and the Deputy Inspector-General, RIC (Davies-1916-20 & Walsh-1920-22), having offices there.

Military Hospitals in Dublin
King George V Royal Military Hospital--complex at Arbour Hill

Royal Military Infirmary--Montpellier Hill.

Royal Military Hospital (Female)--Montpellier Hill (just across the road).

Isolation Hospital--Montpellier Hill

Portobello Military Hospital--at the barracks.

Special Surgical Hospital--I don't have a location for this.

Dispersal Hospital--I don't have a location for this.

There were also large military hospitals at:

The Curragh Military Camp (Co. Kildare), the HQ of the 5th Infantry Division and of The Cavalry Brigade;

The Central Cork Military Hospital in Cork City, which also housed the HQ of the 6th Infantry Division;

The Ulster Volunteer Force Hospital in Belfast, HQ of 1st Infantry Division, founded on Lord Craigavon’s estate.

There were also military hospitals at Armagh, Athlone, Belfast, Dundalk, Enniskillen, Galway, Holywood, Londonderry, Longford, Mullingar, Newry, Omagh and Tipperary.

Most of these were caring for the few soldiers and families of the Depots of the Irish regiments of the British army (almost all of whose battalions were deployed, to get them out of Ireland).

RIC Depot and Barracks Infirmary--there was a small infirmary run by the Surgeon to the Force, Dr Pryce Peacock (1914-22), who had the effective rank of a county inspector.

There were no other medical officers in the RIC, the force was looked after by 'Medical Attendants of the Royal Irish Constabulary’, who were contract physicians who looked after the men and their families--wives and children under 16. The DMP were cared for through a similar system, but did not include family care.

Cheers,
Bill

Victor
3rd January 2009, 01:16
Linenhall Barracks--Constitution Hill--Immediately south of King's Inn.Photo attached. I'm not sure if this was part of the barracks, but its the only original building left on that block, now a health centre.

(Pigeon House Fort)--South Wall--1814–97, apparently became electric station; attacked with dynamite in 1893. Seems to have been converted around 1894.From the poor drawings I've seen of this, I suspect it was essentially a sea battery.

Royal Barracks--SW Temple & Benburb St.--Renamed Collins Barracks.That is Temple Street West.

RIC Depot & Barracks--South of Marlborough Barracks, off North Circular Road. Sometimes called 'Phoenix Park RIC Depot'.This is, of course, now Garda HQ, which had been in the Royal Hospital Kilmainham for some period in the 1920s-1960s, when HQ moved to the park and the training depot to Templemore.

Ship Street Barracks--Located on south side at the Castle. There was also a DMP station or barracks nearby.I wonder if these were one and the same. This was also the DMP depot.

johnny no stars
3rd January 2009, 02:07
I hadn't seen the post saying that Linenhall barracks was just south of the King's Inns.

I had a look at google earth, because DIT Linenhall (part of DIT Bolton Street) is literally beside the King's Inns.

Here's the screenshot. Above the yellow line is the King's Inns building and green area. Below it, you can see one of the streets named Linenhall Terrace.

The building I've outlined in yellow is the DIT building called Linenhall. It's pretty old and grotty (hate doing exams in there) so I'd be surprised if there wasn't some connection.

Edit: it would help if I attached the screenshot!

Victor
3rd January 2009, 02:57
I was about to suggest that it was much smaller, but here is says it was about 2.25 acres (imagine a space 100x90m)

http://books.google.ie/books?id=eeROAAAAMAAJ&q=%22Linenhall+barracks%22&dq=%22Linenhall+barracks%22&pgis=1

johnny no stars
3rd January 2009, 03:29
right, when I'm next in college I can take a picture?

The building I'm thinking of , you can't get into it without going through an arch and beside the arch it has a gatehouse and there's sheds, well, more like shelters like the ones in McKee that people park their bikes under that initially reminded me of McKee which is why it stuck out in my head.

Powers.. Of.. description... useless.

Goldie fish
3rd January 2009, 04:32
The Ship St Barracks is the building in Dublin castle currently used as the HQ of the Revenue Comissioners, which also appears on its logo.

golden rivet
3rd January 2009, 13:02
Next time in dublin i intend to visit dublin castle is there tours etc..

Goldie fish
3rd January 2009, 14:35
I recently discovered there is a Revenue Museum there.....

Hospitaller
5th January 2009, 15:01
UPDATE:
Here is some new information (based on Ordnance Survey Map of Dublin, 1893-1913):

Arbour Hill Barracks--Across from Royal Barracks--Probably Arbour Hill Detention Barracks or the Barracks for the troops guarding it.

Linenhall Barracks--Constitution Hill--Immediately south of King's Inn (according to the Ordance Survey Map).

Marshalsea Barracks--Marshalsea Lane--Originally the debtors’ prison.

Montepelier Hill Barracks (RAMC)--Infirmary Road--Across from Royal Isolation Hospital & Ordnance Stores; basically the barracks for the RAMC personnel at the hospitals there.

Ship Street Barracks--Located on south side at Castle--On the west side of the Castle garden; the DMP Barracks located on east side of garden.

Hospitaller
5th January 2009, 15:12
I hadn't seen the post saying that Linenhall barracks was just south of the King's Inns.

I had a look at google earth, because DIT Linenhall (part of DIT Bolton Street) is literally beside the King's Inns.

Here's the screenshot. Above the yellow line is the King's Inns building and green area. Below it, you can see one of the streets named Linenhall Terrace.

The building I've outlined in yellow is the DIT building called Linenhall. It's pretty old and grotty (hate doing exams in there) so I'd be surprised if there wasn't some connection.

Edit: it would help if I attached the screenshot!

The south facade of the barracks was on Lisburn Street.

Aidan
5th January 2009, 16:28
Beggars Bush seems to have been the Main HQ during the Anglo Irish War. Its no longer a Barracks. Govt Stationary office used to reside there I think.

Print Museum, Geological Survey and Labour Court are in there also, the latter two in an awful 1970s building.

Completely off topic, but is it possible to figure out what Irish regiment would have been in NW India (Hindu Kush) in the 1937-38 period from the Army lists?

sofa
5th January 2009, 20:42
I recently discovered there is a Revenue Museum there.....

And the Gardia museum beside it

WilcoOut
6th January 2009, 17:53
Next time in dublin i intend to visit dublin castle is there tours etc..

all day! think the first is at 9.30 or 10 am

Victor
22nd February 2009, 23:20
Maps

Sargents 3
9th September 2009, 16:57
the linenhall was in the liberties. dont think it was a barricks it was used for meeting.
it was opposite Mother Red Caps
Barracks in Dublin
A pet of mine (pre 1922)
we can break military establishments down into
barricks for troops Forts, ordnance stores hospitals and welfare
I attach a small amout at the moment It is a work in progress.
:smile:
http://picasaweb.google.com/emmet19/BarracksDublin?feat=directlink
I am puting to gether a list province by provience
The OPW have sold off a lot of land and properties over the years
any help on this is appreciated
q.s
Sgts 3

Sargents 3
9th September 2009, 23:05
i posted a replay to this and it hasent appeared:biggrin:
am not alowed to share

boomer
10th September 2009, 16:20
i posted a replay to this and it hasent appeared:biggrin:
am not alowed to share

You are indeed allowed to share, however it can take a little while before posts appear as we have a system in place where new users have their posts approved prior to tehm being published. This is to avoid any spam posts appearing on the forum as has happened in the past.

Victor
10th September 2009, 19:14
the linenhall was in the liberties.Details as above. See here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.976484,56.513672&ie=UTF8&ll=53.351358,-6.271225&spn=0.001284,0.003449&t=h&z=18 it even says "Linenhall Parade". Presumably there was more than one Linen Hall.

Your picture "It says nurses home its still there now HQ OF THE Naval service" - I understand this has been demolished for the new Courts Service building.

Sargents 3
10th September 2009, 19:20
hi
i havent been In army HQ for a few years if that is so
whats new we seam to delight in destroying our past
i must drop in next week
:mad:

Sargents 3
10th September 2009, 19:27
verse from boar war ballid

Hand me down me petticoat
Hand me down me shawl
Hand me down me bubonnet
For I'm of to the Linen Hall
I think this is were abandoned soldiers ladies may have gone for a hand out
I am wondering has it a connection to your Linnen hall

Sargents 3
10th September 2009, 19:34
Hi

The RIR s home barricks is clonmel ther is a very nice memorial there up to ww1
The skins home is and alwas was ineskillen
portobello was not a depot till the IDF took over in 22 .
a long number of unets were there
I will dig it out if you are interested

Sargents 3
10th September 2009, 19:45
Details as above. See here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.976484,56.513672&ie=UTF8&ll=53.351358,-6.271225&spn=0.001284,0.003449&t=h&z=18 it even says "Linenhall Parade". Presumably there was more than one Linen Hall.

Your picture "It says nurses home its still there now HQ OF THE Naval service" - I understand this has been demolished for the new Courts Service building.
Just found this it was there till 1915
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1915/feb/08/linenhall-barracks-dublin

Sargents 3
10th September 2009, 19:51
Linenhall is the area west of Bolton Street.

The barracks would appear to have been rather small - between North King Street, Coleraine Street and Lisburn Street according to page 316 here: http://books.google.ie/books?id=X1fWCCHReoUC&pg=PA316&lpg=PA316&dq=%22Linenhall+barracks%22&source=web&ots=qt1B81r5ii&sig=WsztI0vGbMU2tEZtkQd0iBeljow&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA316,M1

It appears it was taken over in 1925. http://books.google.ie/books?id=o8Vs2DETDQcC&pg=PA67&lpg=PA67&dq=%22Linenhall+barracks%22&source=web&ots=kM11iMq22W&sig=iUdItrBttn-l_5B_4_Ih5N_-5xE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result

I wonder if the houses on Lisburn Street were part of it. Page 67: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=swrmhpgg9hmq&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=29507270&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Photo after 1916 Rising http://www.southdublinimages.ie/searchselection.aspx?id=3569

It appears to have had marrierd quaters and was at some time occupied by pay clerks and possibly had warehouses.

with out being a bore you trigered somethinfg in my mind. sorry i can get lik a dog with a bone.
you are bang on i thine the garda fins office on the corner is the one that we are talking about

Sargents 3
10th September 2009, 19:59
Just looked at my 1837 os map od f dublin
i leard some thing new every day
thats it the old gard fines office
its a totaly new one on me
The Ordnance survay barracks was Mountjoy barracks
and Clancy was the artillery barracks i will ammend my list
QS

da_can_man
13th November 2009, 04:35
Linenhall Barracks was originally Dublin's White Linen Hall. It opened in 1728 and
was the centre of Ireland's linen trade with England. This was prior to to the
construction of Belfast's famed linen hall and northern traders frequented the
Dublin "market" to the extent that the neighbouring streets were named after
northern towns, Coleraine, Lisburn and Lurgan. After the constuction of the
Belfast linen hall, trade through Dublin went into decline and the Linen Hall closed
in 1828 and fell into disrepair. It was taken over by the British army in the 1880's
as a barracks and was home to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. By 1916, it was an
administrative post, home only to army clerks. The building was on a 3-acre
site, was three stories high and contained in excess of 550 rooms. During
the Easter Rising of 1916, the Linenhall Barracks was taken over by rebel
forces under the command of Commandant Edward Daly and set alight. Heavy
fighting ensued on Nth King Street and the Linen Hall was destroyed by fire.
What was left was demolished.

I have attached links to two pics. The first shows a 1700's artist impression
of the original building. The second is a photograph, taken from the top of
Lurgan St., after the Rising. Coleraine St., Lisburn St. and Lurgan St. lead up
from Nth King St. directly to where the facade of the original building was.
Housing was built on the site of the Linen Hall/Linenhall Barracks in 1926,
encompassing Linenhall Terrace and Linenhall Place.

In response to previous posts, The Linenhall Barracks was not small, it was a
very large building. It was not in the Liberties, which is an area behind Francis
St. on the other side of the city centre (sth side). And it did not incorporate
surrounding housing.

Fiirst pic, artist rendition of original structure:

http://www.irishlinenmills.com/Production/18c_production/18century12.htm

Second pic, view from top of Lurgan St. after the Rising

http://www.southdublinimages.ie/searchselection.aspx?id=3571

Hope that helps...

RoyalGreenJacket
1st March 2010, 01:13
Phoenix Park Magazine Fort:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastiandooris/sets/72157604002713223/

i have to own up - when i was 15 me and my mates climbed the fence, crossed the motes and stole most of the lightning conductors and loads of lead and other metal from the Magazine Fort.

we didn't even get any money for it - some plain clothed Garda detectives intercepted our wheelbarrow in Stoneybatter and loaded the lot into their Hillman Avenger before we could reach the scrapyard.

however i've served 21 years of my 22 year sentence in debt to the British Army for that so i think we are quits now, but i do regret defacing such an amazing building.

sorry.

Victor
15th July 2010, 19:26
Its unclear who had this as a barracks, probably the militia of the time.

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Marshalsea_Lane_c_1900_

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714342,734032,7

Some additional information amd photos. It was used in 1916.

http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Wright/wright14.htm
http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?6797-Marshalsea-Lane
http://digital.nli.ie/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/glassplates&CISOPTR=13841&CISOBOX=1&REC=11

--------------------------------------------------------------

More general piece: http://www.jstor.org/stable/30104347?cookieSet=1

sofa
15th July 2010, 22:04
i have to own up - when i was 15 me and my mates climbed the fence, crossed the motes and stole most of the lightning conductors and loads of lead and other metal from the Magazine Fort.

we didn't even get any money for it - some plain clothed Garda detectives intercepted our wheelbarrow in Stoneybatter and loaded the lot into their Hillman Avenger before we could reach the scrapyard.

however i've served 21 years of my 22 year sentence in debt to the British Army for that so i think we are quits now, but i do regret defacing such an amazing building.

sorry.

I would say it was straight down to Mullins with that boot full of lead

paul g
15th July 2010, 22:16
I would say it was straight down to Mullins with that boot full of lead

Plain clothes garda driving a hillman avenger in 1987. Ahem

sofa
15th July 2010, 22:30
Plain clothes garda driving a hillman avenger in 1987. Ahem

Ya, I think the Hillmans were the1970s?