Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Televisions to be banned in Guard Rooms.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Televisions to be banned in Guard Rooms.

It has come to light that televisions are to be removed from guard rooms and stand to rooms in the future.

The Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO) has complained that the DF are not paying the liscensing fee for what they see as public broadcast.Each premises for which services are publicy broad cast are liable for an annual fee of around E800...per telvision so the word has it that rather than hand out a large sum for the rights the Df is to issue an order for the removal of all recieving apparatus...tellies ...videos...radios from guard rooms etc.

A step back into the dark ages..

Any thoughts?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

I will never do guard again

Welcome back to the good old days again alright. I only ever do guard to help out the PDF so that they will help out the reserves in some way, but after hearing this news I will never do guard again. Yes this is the (new) or rather old Irish Defence Forces all over again.
    It should not be up to the men's club to pay the fee's the Defence Forces should pay up, after all how many other Armed Forces put their troops on a 24 hour duty?
    In the UK they even have MOD police to help out with guard, they do patrols and the gates and stuff and the troops only do 12 hour shifts.
    This is another kick to the morale of the Defence Forces and will do nothing but breed more disillusion towards the Defence Forces in general from serving personnel.

Comment

They didn't allow us to have TV in the barracks either but we had full service cable TV. How is the cable company going to get in to check on who is stealing their signal. They will not be allowed past the gate. That rule would of course extend to the TV in the officers mess also I presume? and the one in Bde. HQ not to mention Command HQ and the GOC's office??

P.S. we also had multi-channel T.V in the back of our FFR's whenever they were stationary long enough for us to set it up. Sometimes it's good to be a Sgmn.

Comment

Shit, I almost forgot we even smuggled TV sets back from overseas, converted them and used them at home. I have never seen a television licence or cable bill in any army barracks except for the few legitimate sets located in the messes. Other than those ones the cable was all of a dodgy nature.

Comment

We did guard in Bere Island last year with out a TV and nearly with potty. Justa singaar to kep us happy and the rain. I would think that the change wont get through. Think of it. ahhhhhhh
          Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
          http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

cant imagine doing 24h guard with no TV. its the one thing that just abour makes it bearable....especially when the guardroom is little more than a big,un-heated concrete shed (like the one down in kilworth)....somehow i cant see it happening. hopefully they'll sort it out,anyway

Comment

Is there anyone else who'd like to kick us while we're down here?
              Take your time there's no sign of improvement
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO) have a long established record of screwing the hell out of people including those they are supposed to represent

-Y
                Meh.

Comment

Remember ...bonkers and don the all time fantastic card games for the guard room...are they about to make a come back...conversation on the incline ...will civility return to the guard rooms .I can't se the army paying up...please don't post looking for the rules of Don and bonkers...if u didn't give at least 400 years in the DF ...well u lost out.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Fine, bring the telly but plug a Playstation into it. That's hardly a broadcast.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Aahh Bere Island guardroom, where I learned how to build a house of cards and played footie with a rubix cube. Those were the days.
                      Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

IMRO see it as a public broadcast only to get their paws on more money, as Yooklid has pointed out they have a history of screwing people around.
                        It seems strange that a high security installation having a television is regarded as a public broacast!
                        The DF should be given an exemption and IMRO should be told where to go.
                        Anyway I can see people taking up FMolloy's suggestion with playstations, VCR's, and DVD players will be plugged into the tv instead of the aerial.

Comment

What ever about TV in the guard room do anyone see the cable TV interview a US trooper during the Iraq war, where he said they were watching Band of Brothers DVDs on a lap-top in between fighting Saddam's boys?

Comment

I remember spending nights in Kilworth playing some mad shoot-em-up game on playstation(complete with the pistol thingys) as we only had bog 1 and 2. On the same week, I and certain other members of the board viewed on a DF owned Laptop, Apocalypse now,REDUX on DVD.
                            This could be the way of the future..I remember of guardrooms with sky tho,that many arguments have been caused by somebody wanting to watch the wrestling,while another wants to watch discovery..

I wonder how the NS stand on this? Will this see increased recruitment,as they would be outside the responsibility of the IMRO,and they get their signal from SKY in scotland(Hence the second satcom like dome on most of the ships).
                            It is but a temporary setback...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

A TV even if it's not being used for watching TV has to be licenced. Even if you have no signal, the licence is for the TV itself. Pretty shitty, but there are always pc's with DVD players (or even just the DVD drive plugged into a DF pc) and Win-TV etc which do not need to be licenced.

Comment

Working...
                              X