The Irish Free States Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Irish Free States Birthday

Today (the 6th) the Irish Free State Agreement was signed by British and Irish Republic representatives in London on December 6, 1921. and the rest is history.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Happy birthday Saorstat Eireann

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie
      Today (the 6th) the Irish Free State Agreement was signed by British and Irish Republic representatives in London on December 6, 1921. and the rest is history.
      can anybody recomend the '7 ages dvd' on the history and formation of the free state . I am thinking of buying it for xmas , (i had better hurry up to )

Comment

Its a landmark documentary on the history of Ireland in the last 80 years or so....
        Definitely worth it.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Its aload of Fianna Fail shite with the odd fine gael comment thrown in...don't bother!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

So when is the actual Birthday of the Irish Republic? Seing as the Free State was put to bed after the Emergency(unbeknownst to most shinners..

Comment

Easter 1949...whatever date that was (but I think it was in April)
              "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                Its aload of Fianna Fail shite with the odd fine gael comment thrown in...don't bother!
                I can handle the finna fail shite and the fine gael comments , it's the old footage i like to watch as well as the historic comment and yes, ireland officially became a republic in 1949 and speaking of old footage , some of the older members of this forum might remember the Defence Forces recruitment advertisements from the early seventies witch were on ' R TEE HEE' tele quite a lot . they lasted about 2 mins long, in black and white and one had a platoon or company of men jogging along in formation singing along to an NCO's shout of '' we are rangers'' (we are rangers ) 'molly molly rangers' (molly molly rangers ) 'we can do it' (we can do it ) 'we love running' (we love running ('we love pt' (we love pt ) HEY HEY ! and , another one had a scene of a group of privates , male and female , sitting around in the privates mess sipping thier pints of guinness singing along to a chap with a guitar , so imagine my dissapointment when i joined the Defence Forces in 1975 to find out thier were no female privates, em, as in rank , to be found anywere in the army so i blame that false recruitment add and i should have taken them to the false advertisement trading standerds but , em , i dont think they existed then anyway, i bet all that old footage is lying around with tons of other stuff just waiting to be discovered and but onto video/dvd, even just to give us all a giggle and stroll down memory lane .

patritisiom is the last refuge of the scoundral

Comment

I remember those ads, and the music that went with them. The ship pounding through the waves, panhards, men in combats wearing ties jumping into trenches(I still have a few of the old recruiting posters from that era around here)
                  Join the Defence Forces..And Go Places.

Comment

Wasn't there ones with "Defence Forces...It's A Mans Life" also?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                      I remember those ads, and the music that went with them. The ship pounding through the waves, panhards, men in combats wearing ties jumping into trenches(I still have a few of the old recruiting posters from that era around here)
                      Join the Defence Forces..And Go Places.
                      Ah yes , the panhards add , they were quite good to for the time and the ''its a mans life'' one to also, i remember my 3 star training down in kilworth and sitting inside one of those panhards and only for the tin helmets we had , we would have had serious head injuries going over them hills , great memories , would love to see those old tv adds again and i would love one of those old recruitment posters if you have one to spare goldie, cheers .

Comment

I'd love to see some of the old recruiting drives. I've seen some of the old US ones on the net and they are, to say the least, quite funny!! Bet the old Irish ones are a houl.
                        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

There's one of the "It's A Mans Life" posters in my grandads house, and from what I can remember theres an all-yellow helicopter in the poster- possibly with RAF roundels on it!

Comment

The early Alouette livery had a massive yellow/dayglow square on it..

That said, the recent round of DF ads spent a lot of time showing troops jumping in and out of helis in Timor..That were belonging to the aussies....

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                              The early Alouette livery had a massive yellow/dayglow square on it..

That may well be it- I haven't seen the poster since at least August so my memory is a bit hazy on it. But there was definetely something odd about it...

Comment

Working...
                              X