Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denmark opts for MOWAG Eagle IV

Denmark has become the launch customer for the Eagle IV

Subsequent contracts will cover the addition of overhead weapon stations, add-on-armour and C3I systems

The Danish Army Materiel Command (DAMC) awarded Swiss-based MOWAG a DKK247 million (USD39.7 million) contract on 9 December to supply 85 Eagle IV armoured wheeled patrol vehicles. The contract also covers the supply of a small number of logistic reserve Eagle IVs plus initial logistic support and services.

The new vehicles are to replace ageing Eagle I vehicles procured in the early 1990s as well as some of the Danish Army's non-armoured Mercedes-Benz G-type 4 x 4 vehicles used for patrol duties during international crisis response operations.

The procurement of the Eagle IV vehicles is the first part of a DKK420 million project that will also see the acquisition and installation of a weapon station, add-on protection, and command, control communications and information (C3I) systems for the new patrol vehicles.

Earlier in 2005, a total of 11 companies were issued with an invitation to tender (ITT) by the DAMC: AM General (US), BAE Systems Land Systems OMC (South Africa), Iveco Defence Vehicle Division (Italy), Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (Germany), MOWAG (Switzerland), Panhard (France), Patria Vehicles (Finland),Renault Trucks Defense (France), Rheinmetall Landsysteme (Germany), Sabiex (Belgium) and Textron Marine & Land Systems (US)

Four companies responded to the ITT, but JDW understands that only two vehicles took part in the trials: the BAE Systems Land Systems OMC RG-32M (which has been selected by Sweden) and MOWAG's Eagle IV. These extensive road and cross-country trials took place in Denmark and Germany and covered 8,000 km.

Denmark will be the launch customer for the latest-generation Eagle IV, with production soon starting at the MOWAG facilities in Kreuzlingen, Switzerland. First deliveries to Denmark are due in August 2006.

A number of Danish companies will be involved in the supply of various assembles and components.

In recent years Denmark has been a major customer for MOWAG (now part of General Dynamics European Land Combat Systems), with the company receiving no less than five earlier contracts for Eagle I and Piranha III 8 x 8 armoured personnel carriers between 1995 and 2004.

MOWAG Eagle IV armoured reconnaissance vehicle (jaa.janes.com)

Denmark seeks APV (jdw.janes.com, 21/09/2005)

Latest Eagle IV fitted with Kongsberg Protector OWS armed with 12.7 mm machine gun
    (Source: MOWAG)

"I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
    - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

Is there much of a difference between the mark III and mark IV ?

Comment

Mark 3 is based on the Humvee. Mk IV is a completely different chassis

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
        X