Operation Shannon- 1986

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Shannon- 1986

Oftentimes in my history class at school the teacher would refer to a big operation held at Shannon Airport "a few years ago". After spotting a newspaper cutting on Operation Shannon, held in 1986, I am confident that this was what he was on about. But unfortunately thats all I remember of it. Was anyone on the ex., what was it about and what lessons were learnt?
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

I had a look around and there is'nt really much information on it.
    All I found was this on http://www.answers.com/topic/shannon-airport

In 1986 a US Immigration pre-clearance facility was opened at Shannon, thus cutting down on the time spent queueing on arrival in the United States. 1989 saw Pan Am

Comment

I remember it being earlier than 86. Have to look at my archives, won't get to them till after christmas though. Santa is currently using that room for storage.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by stameen soldier
        Oftentimes in my history class at school the teacher would refer to a big operation held at Shannon Airport "a few years ago". After spotting a newspaper cutting on Operation Shannon, held in 1986, I am confident that this was what he was on about. But unfortunately thats all I remember of it. Was anyone on the ex., what was it about and what lessons were learnt?
        Maybe it was the airport security for Gulf War 1 in 1991. There was an exercise Shannon in 1985 but that was just a conventional 72 hour ex that wouldn't make for a history lesson.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Maybe it was the airport security for Gulf War 1 in 1991. There was an exercise Shannon in 1985 but that was just a conventional 72 hour ex that wouldn't make for a history lesson.

I would gladly have surendered Shannon to Fantasia forces if only they had asked
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog

If it was '85 then fair enough. The teacher just mentioned it because of the amounts of materiel involved, I think- must have gotten a lot of publicity at the time as he isn't into military stuff.
            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

stameen, you think the logistics were bad for shannon, check out the ex in farrenfore around the same time.

Comment

Couold this be what you're talking about?

Copyright 1984 Associated Press
                All Rights Reserved

The Associated Press

May 30, 1984, Wednesday, AM cycle

SECTION: International News

LENGTH: 415 words

HEADLINE: Biggest Security Operation Ever In Ireland

BYLINE: By ED BLANCHE, Associated Press Writer

DATELINE: DUBLIN, Ireland

BODY:
                Workmen tore down anti-Reagan posters in Dublin Wednesday, and the Irish Army's anti-terrorist Rangers unit deployed to places President Reagan will tour in the Emerald Isle, security sources said.

The sources said the Rangers will concentrate on Ballyporeen, the County Tipperary village where Reagan's great-grandfather was born.

The undercover troopers, dressed in civilian clothes, will work with U.S. Secret Service agents to protect the president and his wife Nancy when they visit the village Sunday. About 40,000 people are expected to descend on the farming village over the weekend.

The Rangers' main mission is combating nationalist Irish Republican Army guerrillas.

The sources said Swedish-made RBS-70 anti-aircraft missiles would be set up in key locations to protect Reagan from air attack during his visit.

The sources, who declined to be identified, said the laser-guided missiles will probably be placed near Leinster House, the seat of government, at Deerfield House, U.S. Ambassador Robert Kane's residence where Reagan will stay in Dublin, and at Ashford Castle, the resort north of Galway where Reagan will stay for two nights.

Security officials have canceled all leave for the 11,400-member Garda Siochana, the national police, during Reagan's four-day visit, which begins Friday.

Regular army units also will be on standby in areas Reagan will tour, and U.S. agents have taken control of security at Dublin and Shannon airports.

Dublin's city council Wednesday ordered workmen to tear down protest posters from walls and billboards, some of which said "Reagan _ Killer."

The anti-Reagan campaign is led by Roman Catholic church groups and left-wing organizations, who oppose Reagan's policies in Central America, the Third World and nuclear weapons.

Among the protesters is Gerry Adams, president of Sinn Fein, the political arm of the IRA, which is fighting to unite partitioned Ireland.

Adams, campaigning in Tipperary with Sinn Fein candidates in the June 14 European Parliament elections, called Reagan's visit "an insult to the people of Central America ... and a violation of the principle of Irish neutrality."

He said, "President Reagan and myself have only two things in common _ we've both been shot and we'll both be canvassing in Ballyporeen."

Adams, 35, once reputed to be the outlawed IRA's chief of staff, was shot three times by gunmen in Belfast March 14. Reagan survived an assassination attempt two years ago in Washington.

ends
                www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

Nice to see the dislike for American presidents goes back farther than Bush.
                  Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Protests against ronnies visit did not make the news at the time, as our government were trying to promote Irelands image as being friendly to US investment. The protests however came from a much wider cross section of the community than that seen during GWBs visit.

Nixon got a good reception when he called though...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

"Reagan _ Killer."
                      Ah Mick, abusing work resources

Is the "_" and edited / censored word or was it just a naff slogan? :confused:
                      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                        Protests against ronnies visit did not make the news at the time, as our government were trying to promote Irelands image as being friendly to US investment. The protests however came from a much wider cross section of the community than that seen during GWBs visit.

Nixon got a good reception when he called though...
                        Several TDs walked out as he was about to address the Dáil, I remember. Ronnie turned the tables on them with ease by commenting that there were countries where such protests wouldn't be allowed.
                        sigpic

Comment

If its the same one I was on it is famous for the amount f rain- the hardness of the soil- the general air of kill me now and then the long drive home

I would gladly have surendered Shannon to Fantasia forces if only they had asked
                          I remember spending freezing nights guarding fcuking US-registered planes that had never landed in a US airport. And doing Cordon and Search exercises around Cratloe and Knockalisheen. I hate Shannon.
                          sigpic

Comment

There was an air defence excercise held in Shannon in 1986 (called Shanad ) and was a huge undertaking by all accounts - the ex involved hundreds of personnell and the convoy leaving the barracks was almost 2 miles long. There's a newspaper article up in the gunpark, I'll have read of it next week and get some more details.
                            Last edited by concussion; 1 November 2007, 12:31.
                            "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Working...
                            X