No announcement yet.

Artillery pieces on armoured vehicles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery pieces on armoured vehicles?

Originally posted by The Blue Max
    Any Ideas About what types the Cav/Arty want would it be Mowag With 105mm 8X8 or 10X10 or similiar..
    A Mowag Pirahna chassis would not be suitable for use as a self propelled gun for the Artillery Corps, for the following reasons:

1: Irish doctrine/budgetary restrictions call for light artillery only - ie towed guns

2: A Mowag Pirahna chassis could not take the recoil of a high pressure gun - the 90 and 105mm guns you see mounted in publicity shots are low pressure guns with limited range, and are useless for indirect fire purposes

The artillery uses of Mowags are as OP and CP vehicles, and possibly as armoured gun tractors
    Last edited by Barry; 28 December 2005, 16:49. Reason: Typo

Good Man Barry Typical Artillery Run Straight In Bomb Everything And Then Think About It!!! Only Messin LOL!! I was refering to possible fitting of Anti-Tank Barreled Rifle/Gun to the possible new Mowags if they were to be introduced Into service with Cavarly Corps, But correct thats what i was askin about Artillery they will be used for CPs/OPs etc.. interesting about Gun Tractors on the Mowags, I would think it would Better to stick them on Timoney Bushmaster LATV (If ever purchased) less expensive than Mowags and very mobile vechicles aswell!! And leave more Mowags for Frontline units such as Infantry and the likes of Bushmasters for Second Line/Support Roles such as Artillery etc..
    Last edited by The Blue Max; 26 December 2005, 05:34.
    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

A vehicle the size of the Mowag should be able to mount a high-pressure 90mm gun. CMI defence claim their new turret with a 105mm high-pressure gun can be mounted on vehicles of the Mowag's size.

Mortar carriers could be procured from Mowag if the DF wanted indirect fire support to accompany the infantry & cavalry variants.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

1.5million to tow a gun?
        barry ur loseing it and id worry about getten enough trucks first

Comment

: A Mowag Pirahna chassis could not take the recoil of a high pressure gun - the 90 and 105mm guns you see mounted in publicity shots are low pressure guns with limited range, and are useless for indirect fire purposes

Massively picky mode, but the American MGS is a Piranha 8x8 with a high pressure 105mm tank cannon on it. I seem to recall that some scandanavian country mounted a 155mm for coastal defense on a 10x10 Piranha chassis, but I'm having some trouble confirming it.

NTM
          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

i think we sholud cut some circle holes on the roof in the old nissans patrols.then mount a 90 or 105 with some glue.then we can give them to the cav (better than the panards)rather then taking the mowags.
            Infantry private says to infantry officer.: remember sir its trousers then boots.

Comment

The CMI 105mm gun turret has an elevation of 42 degrees.

Regards

MÃ¥k

Comment

nice video, how many rounds can that 105 carry in comparision to our towed 105s?

maybe this is the future for our arty corps. batteries of guns like this. highly mobile, armoured and able to set up, fire, manovuer, and keep up with the infantry.
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

12-16 rounds in a automatic bustle with two man turret crew. Additional rounds can be carried within the vehicle allowing under armour reloading. Optional 55 degree elevation.
                  The information PDF for it can be found here.

Regards

MÃ¥k

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne
                    nice video, how many rounds can that 105 carry in comparision to our towed 105s?
                    Towed 105s can carry as much ammo as the truck can carry. I won't go into the standard scale of ammo. That turret can hold 12 or 16 rounds in it's racks. I'm not sure what the capacity within the hull would be
                    maybe this is the future for our arty corps. batteries of guns like this. highly mobile, armoured and able to set up, fire, manovuer, and keep up with the infantry.
                    You mean like the cavalry corps?

That turret does not turn a Mowag into a self propelled gun. It has no features to lay the gun out, fires semifixed ammo (taking a round apart to change the charge within the confines of that turret sounds like real fun, not). Not to mention the basic fact that the DF will not be buying any SP guns anytime soon

Comment

ya know what, the boy is right!
                      The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

...maybe this is the future for our arty corps. batteries of guns like this. highly mobile, armoured and able to set up, fire, manovuer, and keep up with the infantry.
                        The gun depicted in the video and .PDF is a direct-fire weapon, similar to a tank gun.
                        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

fair enough folks, i'm not claiming to be any type of arty expert. but it seems to me that no matter how switched on our arty is, in todays enviroment they are just too slow and exposed using towed guns.

this is a deficiency that we suffer in general. the same can be said for infantry and cavalry in the DF. unfortunately our military doctrine is mainly geared towards opposing groups armed with small arms, light weapons through UN missions. however there is little effort made towards giving us a first world army capability.

this not a rant about joining NATO, invading anywhere else, else. just a comment that we should be given more protection against modern threats and given more survivability.
                          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Self Propelled Artillery Prehaps
                            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

i agree and cav thats properly armoured against modern threats i.e. other armour, etc.

however, the bean counters might have a different view. its sad that most other neutral countries seem to take the idea of giving their troops proper eqiupment and protection seriously, whereas in Ireland the gov. use "neutrality" as an excuse to not bother properly equiping us from modern enviroment. as if "neutrality" is some sort of invisible security blanket to protect Ireland.

Comment

Working...
                              X